Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Chunks & Flakes of Rust from inside wheels - Brembo upgr
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
aja500

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba
Chunks & Flakes of Rust from inside wheels - Brembo upgr

'm currently getting a slight judder under braking on my 2007 L322 4.4 petrol.I know it's going to have to go in to the garage for investigation / repair.

Yesterday I jet washed the wheels for the first time in a while, and got quite a lot of small chunks and flakes of rust coming off with the water. Would this suggest that the callipers are rusty and need replacing?

If so, I'm thinking of upgrading them to Brembo 4 pot, which I believe can be done?

Your thoughts please?

I don't tear around in this car so do I just replace with standard original parts?

Are there any downsides to this upgrade? (I have 19" wheels but believe this is still OK)

Finally, what would you expect the all round cost to be?

I'm guessing I'd need new pads, discs and callipers all round - But looking at the rust levels, I think that will be the case Brembo or not

Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Many thanks

Allister

Post #513345 27th Apr 2019 7:58am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

The rust might be from the shields around the brakes, which are well known for rusting. They can rust through at the mounts and need first repair where oversized washers are used to secure them (they are a faff to remove and replace, the washer approach is much cheaper) and then maybe replacement. There are threads on here about that. There will be rusting also in the ventilation channels between the outer faces of the front discs, normally not bad enough for the discs to fail, my winter wheels came off the car this spring with significant rust staining, dealer checked discs and said there was no problem with structural integrity.

In my experience callipers tend to seize internally before any external corrosion affects their functionality, rears tend to go before fronts as they get less use. I've only ever used LR genuine brake components and believe that to be the best policy. If you are getting a judder then maybe they are starting to stick, they can be freed off (my 322s tended to need that at the rear every year) but if too far gone need to be replaced. Sorry no view on cost as too long ago that I had that done. No view on conversion, but the later 4.4 TDV8 type callipers at the front would need style 15 wheels or 20s to clear them, Q if worth the extra cost. The judder could alternatively be from worn steering components, worth having that checked as well as the brakes.

Incidentally I think harsh wheel cleaners don't do the brakes any favours and now just wash with cold water and a sponge and brush, and then a polish when the wheels are off the car for summer/winter as the case may be. LR recommend taking the car for a drive to dry the brakes off after washing, and I always do that. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #513365 27th Apr 2019 12:05pm
aja500

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba

Thank you CS for taking the time out of your day to give such a detailed reply - Much appreciated.

I think you may be right about the shields........ To be honest, aside from the fact that the car is juddering under braking, I hate looking at all the rust behind the wheels - I've just had all the alloys refurbished and the rust on the shields, callipers and hub looks really ugly - I'm thinking about having the hubs sanded and painted and the callipers / shields / pads and discs replaced to brighten the whole thing up.

Is that all the components in there, or am I missing something? - If you had to estimate a figure to carry out work as above and replace all components, on each corner, what would you expect it to run to?

Many thanks again

Allister

Post #513414 27th Apr 2019 10:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1