Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Car detailing advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
47p2

Scotland 

That's the problem with the detailingworld forum, you see a product and you just have to buy it, before you know it you have enough polishes and waxes to last a lifetime.....and there's new products coming onto the market every other week you just have to buy.

The DAS6 is a good bit of kit, you shouldn't have any problems using that.

The bad news is there is no known cure for your disease Big Cry

Post #54930 16th Mar 2011 12:37am
p-trax

Japan 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

47p2 wrote:
That's the problem with the detailingworld forum, you see a product and you just have to buy it, before you know it you have enough polishes and waxes to last a lifetime.....and there's new products coming onto the market every other week you just have to buy.

The DAS6 is a good bit of kit, you shouldn't have any problems using that.

The bad news is there is no known cure for your disease Big Cry

Talk about shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted" Laughing Gerry

Post #54931 16th Mar 2011 12:43am
47p2

Scotland 

One of the advantages of having a nicely waxed car is the water beading on the paintwork

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #54933 16th Mar 2011 1:04am
nbunney

United Kingdom 

That looks beading lovely Rolling with laughter

Post #54952 16th Mar 2011 9:58am
Paulo

Scotland 

happymadison1978 wrote:
Awesome; you 'clearly' (LOL) know your way around high quality paint correction.

I've got the DAS6-pro from clean your car- detailing world forum is great but I've spent hundreds! from ironX, Tardis, foL lance, shampoos polishes (menzerna w/ sonus pads) detailing brushes, britegel, FK1000p etc etc etc etc lol it's a disease!!!!

Good luck though very satisfying!

S

I'm afflicted with the same disease, it's a slippery slope.... Laughing

I've spent in excess of £1500.00 on "Detailing Products" in the last 18 months, and probably 75% of them are unused.... Banging Head

Can't wait for the better weather and longer nights to get stuck in to my cars.... Wink

And 47p2 great work on all your cars..... Bow down

Post #54960 16th Mar 2011 10:37am
nick h

2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

Gazellio wrote:
OK just shot my local Chips Away guy a line so we will see as I have a minor scratch I want rid of Thumbs Up

as Tim said Chips Away are franchises and there is a huge difference in the quality of work and price

the former Chips Away guy in my area was great and he would do chips and scratches - the new guy wants to spray whole panels instead!

Post #54966 16th Mar 2011 10:55am
Rob2529

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

Ok so up to now i can say that 47p2 has some of the best pics ive seen, and if i follow this detailing route i will become very anal and be very skint! lol.
47p2 my paint is probably in a similar if not worse condition than yours un-polished. I dont have a lot of time to read through all of detailing world for the best stuff to use. Who makes the best pads? i want something easy to use ie, not loads of different grades and versatile as i don't want 100's of pads.
Which polish's should i get for again a simple process, i don't mind putting time in but again want a simple system. Can different pads be matched to different manufacturer's polish's?

Post #55107 16th Mar 2011 10:14pm
47p2

Scotland 

I can't really say who makes the best pads or what is the best polish to use, everyone has a preference and no two peoples preference is the same.

I use Chemical Guys Hexlogic pads, why? because there is a dealer close to me where I can buy them. The CG white pads are for cutting, this is to remove the swirls and scores on your paintwork and would be the first stage. With the first stage is completed successfully move to either orange or green pads depending on how well the first stage went. Orange pads have a slightly heavier cut to them and green a light cut. Once you have done that you will move onto black pads to polish to the final finish. Remember to apply at least one coat or better two coats of wax once you have done the polishing.

What I use and I know it isn't everyones chioce is

Bilt Hamber claybar
Farecla G3 for course cutting
Farecla G10 for fine cutting
A Grade polish
and finish with Chemical Guys 5050 wax or Autoglym HD wax

Post #55122 16th Mar 2011 11:52pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Is that AutoGlym HD Wax any good? Its certainly expensive!

Would you apply it with a DAP or by hand? Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #55140 17th Mar 2011 11:01am
p-trax

Japan 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

RRUK wrote:
Is that AutoGlym HD Wax any good? Its certainly expensive!

Would you apply it with a DAP or by hand?

You can get AG HD for £25ish on fleebay Thumbs Up Gerry

Post #55148 17th Mar 2011 11:41am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

good to know, but doesn't answer my question! Any good? Worth it? hard to apply? Thumbs Up Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #55149 17th Mar 2011 12:28pm
nick h

apparently easy to apply

personally i'd go for Dodo Supernatural - more expensive but a high carnauba wax content and will last up to 6 months between applications

Post #55151 17th Mar 2011 12:42pm
47p2

Scotland 

I'm not a fan of most Autoglym products but when I tried out the HD wax last year and was highly impressed with the finished results. So much so that I seem to be using it more and more. It does seem expensive, but only a small amount is used each time and single tub will last for ages. Using the sponge applicator supplied, apply a very light amount to the bodywork, allow to set and buff off, if you are really keen you can apply a second coat to ensure full coverage.

This was my S-Class after waxing with HD

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Some beading with HD wax
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #55154 17th Mar 2011 12:46pm
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I don't know why you guys spend so much time and money trying to get that "perfect" Land Rover finish on your cars. It costs me £30 five times a year to get the perfect "au naturelle" country look on my Defender...............

The products I use are from the "Argyll" and "Northumberland" ranges of polishers and finishers, no power tools are necessary and all processes are drive through.............. no clay barring, just plenty of grit, sand, mud, stones, rocks, brambles, gorse and chopped off pine tree branches topped of with a wipe down with a few pine branches with nice mature pine needles to give that ultimate matt finish. One application of Northumbrian stone dyke also has left a delightfuly long lasting finish too. A swift drive though a 4ft deep bomb crater previously driven through by 4 or 5 other cars tops off the finish. Achieving that perfect beaded wet look isn't a problem, water just sticks to this finish in one big sheet...............
The best thing about this range of products is that you don't spend hours and hours out o the drive with pressure washers, rinse cloths and buckets, you just drive on through the forest in fantastic scenery enjoying yourself and with the whole family too.
If I use the all over Sand colour finish it's amazing how many admiring looks you get from passing cars, it is so eye catching and dazzles passers by and has the added safety feature that following cars tend to keep well back on the drive back from the "unpolishing" location.................... here are some detailed photos of the end result of 6 years of this very special treatment Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Who needs to pay extra for a Matt wrap when you can achieve it the "green" way

Click image to enlarge

The pleasure that applying this finish has given over the last 6 years has been priceless and not one bit of hard work or "elbow grease" was involved. "Clearcoat" finish, what's that?

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #55164 17th Mar 2011 1:33pm
nick h

well said Tim Laughing

this thread is unfortunately turning into 'detailing world' with beading and reflection shots

i think most folk on here just want advice on maintaining their car Yawn

Post #55166 17th Mar 2011 1:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>