Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Paint Protection systems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Paint Protection systems

Basically it worth having either the film type (a clear wrap??) or one of the liquid sealers applied to a new car. Many years ago I had a white Rover 220Turbo Coupe and had it treated but the car was so defective I rejected it and returned it to Rover after 6 months ownership and 4 months in the dealers getting all its roof leaks fixed! 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #56603 25th Mar 2011 11:08am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

tim, unless its a landrover application, will this not affect the paint warranty? ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #56604 25th Mar 2011 11:11am
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

If I was to order a brand new car I would seriously consider a clear wrap - depending on colour of the car.

You don't get stone chips because they just bounce off the surface so the car looks fresher for longer, although you can't really get the same standard of shine. I think the trade off is worth it though.

The life guard products that Autoglym sell via dealers are good, but it's complete bull that they last forever and they freely admit this in the small print. Basically you have to re-apply "as necessary" This goes for any of the paint sealers etc. 

Post #56608 25th Mar 2011 11:20am
JustinP

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Java Black

Clear wraps are for people who keep their sofas protected by cellophane! 
Gone - Range Rover Supercharged 2006

Post #56612 25th Mar 2011 11:34am
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

JustinP wrote:

I leave the factory screen protector on my mobile for as long as possible, I think if I bought a brand new car I'd ask for it to be delivered in a perspex container so it can sit on my drive and never be opened.

Oh and I have over-mats on my over-mats! 

Post #56613 25th Mar 2011 11:38am
Paulo

Scotland 

There is a new sealant by G Techniq caleld C1 which apparently is a crystal type coating for the paint...

Full details here : http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/gtechni...4QodNXhqaQ

Apparently, it can only be applied by "Detailing" professionals and it gets very good reviews on www.detailingworld.co.uk

Quite fancy trying it myself, but will try some of my other sealants etc. first, as I have a garage full of stuff... Whistle

Post #56616 25th Mar 2011 11:54am
nick h

2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

JustinP wrote:

or leave the plastic shrink tube on fishing rod handles

Post #56617 25th Mar 2011 12:00pm
nick h

Paulo wrote:
There is a new sealant by G Techniq caleld C1 which apparently is a crystal type coating for the paint...

Apparently, it can only be applied by "Detailing" professionals and it gets very good reviews on www.detailingworld.co.uk

Quite fancy trying it myself, but will try some of my other sealants etc. first, as I have a garage full of stuff... Whistle

only applied by detailing professionals? - pleeeeze Big Cry

as there is no formal training/certification for detailing i'm at a loss to understand what this means?

do the 'detailing professionals' have to go on a course run by the company? - seems more likely

Post #56618 25th Mar 2011 12:04pm
Paulo

Scotland 

nick h wrote:
Paulo wrote:

as there is no formal training/certification for detailing i'm at a loss to understand what this means?

do the 'detailing professionals' have to go on a course run by the company? - seems more likely

I agree Nick.... just posting what I've been told..... Whistle

Post #56621 25th Mar 2011 12:28pm
nick h

Paulo wrote:
nick h wrote:
Paulo wrote:

I agree Nick.... just posting what I've been told..... Whistle

thanks Paulo Thumbs Up

i've found that layering high quality carnauba wax helps a lot in terms of protection

seeing the wax comes from a plant i was surprised to see that in the 'raw form' its harder than concrete!

interestingly enough carnauba wax in very small quantities is used the gives 'Smarties' their shiny 'coat'

Post #56623 25th Mar 2011 12:29pm
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Paulo wrote:

Paulo I have looked into that one - it's £1700 for a Freelander2 size car and the only appliers are in Chichester and London..... you can get some darned good "detailing" for £1700 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #56633 25th Mar 2011 2:01pm
Paulo

Scotland 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Paulo wrote:

Paulo I have looked into that one - it's £1700 for a Freelander2 size car and the only appliers are in Chichester and London..... you can get some darned good "detailing" for £1700

OMG....didn't realise it was that expensive, I'd want a full respray for that price..... Laughing

Think I'll stick to sealants and wax, hoping to get my cars done in the next few weeks, and will post pictures when done.... Remember they are not a FFRR though..... Rolling Eyes

Post #56635 25th Mar 2011 2:04pm
nick h

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Paulo wrote:

Paulo I have looked into that one - it's £1700 for a Freelander2 size car and the only appliers are in Chichester and London..... you can get some darned good "detailing" for £1700

yes, Paul Dalton Laughing

Post #56636 25th Mar 2011 2:05pm
p-trax

Japan 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

I have gtechniq products on my wheels and glass. They certainly seem to do what they say on the tin.
If you follow the instructions they can be user applied. They form a chemical bond to whatever surface they are applied to. This is a reversible process.
Wheels and screens are fine as you are less likely to cock it up based on total area of application.
However, even though I consider myself very capable, I would not want to try to apply this to my new car, in case I cocked it up, ie applied too much, or uneven application that might give a Censored finish.
I believe there is even some blurb somewhere that the owners of gtechniq will only sell the body protectant to professionals that have full insurance, in case they cock it up!

I see it as (sort of) comparable to applying a new clear coat of lacquer, sure you could do it at home, with a paint brush, and make a good stab at it (not), but wouldn't you rather get a body shop, that does this everyday, to apply with an airbrush? And if they screw it up you have come back!

As for what they charge to do, Market sector driven!

There are some really good do it yourself potions out there, but these require more maintenance as they are less durable (sorry for stating the obvious) Gerry

Post #56641 25th Mar 2011 2:13pm
nick h

how many manufacturers offer gtechnicq products on their new cars?

or approve its application post delivery?

Post #56643 25th Mar 2011 2:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>