Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > battery drain
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
sibelius

United Kingdom 
battery drain

Hi everyone, here is a new year puzzler! Ive had my 04 plate diesel for about 15 months and have worked through, with some help from you guys a few teething troubles. I don't use the car regularly and sometimes after a couple of weeks the battery has run flat, but a quick charge always seemed to correct it.
Normally the car is left unlocked, as I assume that unarmed, the alarm wouldnt have any current draw. Last week I had been using the car regularly for 4 days, no starting issues, but on Christmas eve the battery was dead. Not knowing the age of the battery I decided to replace it, but the following morning the battery was completely dead. Charging it, while connected had little effect, so i disconnected and that allowed a charge to go in. After re-connecting the battery died again overnight. Looking at the car at night, I was expecting to find an interior light on or something to explain the battery drain. Only thing I could see was a faint red light from the gear selector , the part that shows what gear is selected and an orange light on the drivers door by the window switches. Oh and the red flashing light on the interior mirror showing the alarm was armed.
Once charged and with the battery re-connected the car starts fine, but is dead again the following day.
I don't expect its anything easy and cheap to fix, why would it be ? We choose these cars as a means of tax evasion, as bankrupts don't pay tax!!! Very Happy
So, come on, give it to me straight, what the hell is happening under that big brute of a body?

Post #538599 27th Dec 2019 4:25pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Search for final stage resistor, first thing to change, very common.

Post #538617 27th Dec 2019 7:07pm
sibelius

United Kingdom 

Really? Oh well thats the first reply Ive had and hopefully the only one I will need! Would I expect to hear the fan running if its faulty even with ignition off or can the fsr drain battery without obviously doing anything?
It's a hell of a current drain!

Post #538623 27th Dec 2019 7:32pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

I note you were unable to charge the battery when it was connected to the car.
This tends to suggest you have a significant current drain.
I would tend to have the alternator checked, you may have a drain down through it when it's not operating.
This could explain the level of current drain and the fact that you are unable to charge the battery when it's connected to the car.
As above, the FSR could well be at fault with no obvious signs of a fault such as the fan running.

Post #538641 27th Dec 2019 8:57pm
sibelius

United Kingdom 

OK, well its a big drain, new battery flat overnight! I'm going to get a mobile electrics guy to check it out after the holidays, as it sounds way beyond my capablities. If he can't trace it then there is an indepedent LR place nearby, maybe they will sort it for me. Certainly don't want the main dealer to get their hands on it, could need a second mortgage!! Thanks for your input

Post #538646 27th Dec 2019 9:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1