Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > LR set to recall all 2011MY FFRR's for new AGM battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 13 123 ... 111213>
Print this entire topic · 
Mudplugger

England 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Waitomo Grey
LR set to recall all 2011MY FFRR's for new AGM battery

Just to reinforce Jasperoony's post a few days ago, (in post titled "First Problem with my 2011"):

I've also heard from a senior LR insider that all 2011MY FFRR's will be recalled for the software timing mods and a new AGM battery.
The issues over supply of these batteries though are very real - all new vehicles in production are now being fitted with the AGM battery (AGM = absorbent glass mat, not strictly a gel battery). This means the supply to dealerships for replacement in those existing vehicles with ordinary lead acid batteries is poor at present so it seems they're waiting until stocks are higher before going public.

Don't ask me any more than that - cos that's all I know. Worth badgering the dealer if you have a 2011 and the battery seems sluggish..

Muddy Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 - L405 (now sadly sold)
BMW i3 (fantastic little runabout)
Kioti NX6010 Tractor
Yamaha Big Bear ATV
And a whole heap of other kit...

Post #58299 2nd Apr 2011 4:18pm
jez000

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Bournville

Why are we hearing this news here ? I would have thought LR should have communicated this directly to customers who have purchased one of the effected vehicles ? I've had an e-mail from James at Lookers letting me know but I'd like to hear this directly from LR first not on a forum Evil or Very Mad (sorry Muddy, Rant over) 2021 P400 Silicon Silver AB
Gone 2011 Bournville TDV8 VSE
Gone 2008 Black Canadian HSE LUX

Post #58344 2nd Apr 2011 7:58pm
AMV

2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Is this only for the UK? Or a worldwide recall? Question
My car is in production now (or should be soon). I hope the battery issue will be fixed Confused Santorini Black RR Vogue 4.4 TDV8

Post #58365 2nd Apr 2011 10:10pm
Mudplugger

England 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Waitomo Grey

jez000 wrote:
Why are we hearing this news here ? I would have thought LR should have communicated this directly to customers who have purchased one of the effected vehicles ? I've had an e-mail from James at Lookers letting me know but I'd like to hear this directly from LR first not on a forum Evil or Very Mad (sorry Muddy, Rant over)

Don't shoot the messenger!
I'd not have published this if I didn't believe it to be factually accurate, and I'm just confirming what was stated by others earlier..
As for why LR are keeping this quiet (although it's interesting you've had a mail from your dealer) - you'd better ask them.
I'm not wonderfully pleased with LR myself just now, especially since many of the issues the 'fix' is supposed to cure are happening on my 2009MY. The issue with mine appears to be caused by a major current drain fault and not just an inadequate battery/design issue.

Muddy Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 - L405 (now sadly sold)
BMW i3 (fantastic little runabout)
Kioti NX6010 Tractor
Yamaha Big Bear ATV
And a whole heap of other kit...

Post #58368 2nd Apr 2011 11:11pm
jez000

Sorry Muddy, I wasn't having a go at you, i'm just disappointed not to have had any communication from LR Thumbs Up

AMV - if your vehicle hasn't been built you should be alright as the rumor appears to indicate vehicles on the production line will be corrected first. 2021 P400 Silicon Silver AB

Post #58393 3rd Apr 2011 9:52am
AMV

2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

jez000 wrote:

AMV - if your vehicle hasn't been built you should be alright as the rumor appears to indicate vehicles on the production line will be corrected first.

I really hope so Wink Santorini Black RR Vogue 4.4 TDV8

Post #58398 3rd Apr 2011 10:03am
nick h

2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

some one's head will roll for this fiasco

Ratan Tata is known to be very unforgiving towards incompetence Laughing (have a friend whose family in Mumbai know him)

its not the cost but the recall is bad for the brand image!

Post #58405 3rd Apr 2011 11:18am
johnson1

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

nick h wrote:
some one's head will roll for this fiasco

Ratan Tata is known to be very unforgiving towards incompetence Laughing (have a friend whose family in Mumbai know him)

its not the cost but the recall is bad for the brand image!

Bet it will be kept very hush hush and given a fancy name!!!

Post #58417 3rd Apr 2011 12:21pm
p-trax

Japan 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

I have to agree with Jez, the overly protective attitude of LR just Censored customers off.

it took two weeks for my dealer to admit that there was a problem, despite my telling them that i had held the printed document in my hand that announced the required replacement. Gerry

Post #58418 3rd Apr 2011 12:21pm
johnson1

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

p-trax wrote:
I have to agree with Jez, the overly protective attitude of LR just Censored customers off.

it took two weeks for my dealer to admit that there was a problem, despite my telling them that i had held the printed document in my hand that announced the required replacement.

Trust me, they are better than some. BMW still won't admit a fault in their CBS system that causes brake pads to squeal when they have about 14,000 miles to go. Take the sensor off, the squeal goes. Had 4 cars with the same system, same problem at same interval. System still in production... Sensors off, warranty void. Censored

Post #58421 3rd Apr 2011 12:40pm
jez000

p-trax wrote:

it took two weeks for my dealer to admit that there was a problem, despite my telling them that i had held the printed document in my hand that announced the required replacement.

Gerry do you have a letter from LR about the issue ? 2021 P400 Silicon Silver AB

Post #58546 3rd Apr 2011 6:42pm
p-trax

Japan 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

No Jez, i don't.

i was however given the two page document to read a couple of weeks back, but not permitted to photograph. Gerry

Post #58589 3rd Apr 2011 8:39pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

This is interesting as AGM batteries don't give you many benefits over a "Flooded Lead Acid" battery.

They operate better in super low temperatures, and work upside down, but that's about it. As a starting battery they can be a bit dodgey as they like to be charged fully - used - charged again - used. They dislike being constantly charged, and overcharging will kill them completely.
They suffer from deep discharges to an even greater extent than FLA batteries, so this really is a bizarre choice.
Also to get the same power from an AGM as from a FLA then you will generally pay double the amount.

If the battery is going flat for some reason, fitting an AGM will not solve the problem. An AGM will not give MORE power than an FLA. It would be more to the point if they would fit a reserve starting battery to ensure that you could always start the car. 

Post #58597 3rd Apr 2011 9:01pm
pretlove

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

johnson1 wrote:
p-trax wrote:

Trust me, they are better than some. BMW still won't admit a fault in their CBS system that causes brake pads to squeal when they have about 14,000 miles to go. Take the sensor off, the squeal goes. Had 4 cars with the same system, same problem at same interval. System still in production... Sensors off, warranty void. Censored

mines been doing this but then it is a bmw version....and to add my old e60 did this as well plus it had battery issues "RANGEISM WILL NOT BE TOLERATED"
www.futuresecurityservices.co.uk
Pretlove says , '' I want my car back Sad "

Post #58601 3rd Apr 2011 9:08pm
jez000

This is taken from a Wiki page on AGM batteries:

Advantages
All AGM batteries have enhancements over flooded lead acid batteries:
Purer lead in the plates, as each plate no longer needs to support its own weight, due to the sandwich construction with AGM matting. Traditional cells must support their own weight in the bath of acid.
Fluid retention - un-spillable
High specific power or power density, holding roughly 1.5x the AH capacity of flooded batteries due to purer lead[citation needed]
Low internal resistance allowing them to be charged and discharged quite rapidly
Water conservation - never requires addition of water
Acid encapsulation in the matting
Operation well below 0°F or -18 °C.
Availability of UL, DOT, CE, Coast Guard, and Mil-Spec approved types
Vibration resistance due to the sandwich construction.
[edit]

Disadvantages

Cost. AGM automobile batteries for example, are typically about twice the price of flooded-cell batteries in a given BCI size group.
AGM batteries have up to a 10 year lifespan, but must be sized to discharge less deeply than the traditional flooded batteries. For an AGM battery, the depth of discharge for optimal performance is 50% but flooded batteries can be rated up to 80% depth of discharge. 2021 P400 Silicon Silver AB

Post #58650 4th Apr 2011 7:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 13 123 ... 111213>