Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > L322 Rear sub frame bush replacement info
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
gilesharrison

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
L322 Rear sub frame bush replacement info

Last weekend, I decided to crack on and replace my rear sub frame bushes on my 2008 TDV8. They've been an advisory on my MOT for a couple of years and they tyre place recently refused to adjust my rear tracking as they felt there was too much movement in the rear sub frame.

I read the very helpful guide written up by Joe90 in the Wiki. If you haven't read this, read it first. It gives a good over view of the job. Don't be put off though!
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic21092.html

Following a bit of research, it appeared that the L322 (all variants from 02-12 I believe) shame their rear sub frame bushes with the early BMW X5 (2000-2007) - this is known as the E53. There does not seem to be a source for L322 bushes, other than genuine LR at £65 each (you need 4). However, there are loads of options for The BMW.

I chose to go for Meyle HD as they're a well respected brand and have a 4 year warranty. I got these for £65 for the set, through eBay. The Meyle part number is 33316770454/HD. They're all but identical to the old bushes I removed and a perfect swap.

So the other thing that Joe90 struggled with was making a press to remove the bushes. I admire what hi did but I wasn't looking for a simpler option. There are a number of specific presses available for the BMW application. There is a Sealey tool at £225 but a remarkable similar looking kit from a brand called Satra, also on eBay, at £65 approx. I bought the cheap one and was very pleased with the quality of the tool. It is bearing driven and the pressing plates have all the indentations to align correctly with the bushes to allow accurate orientation and prevent the bushes being twisted on installation.

The tool allows all the tightening to be performed from the bottom end of the press, closest to the ground, both on removal and installation of the bushes. This has the big advantage that you do not need to lower the subframe very far at all to create space for the tool. This means that I did not need to remove the exhaust or any pipework/ wiring to complete the job.

Definitely buy yourself a 24mm ratchet spanner. There's lots or spannering to do and it speeds things up no end. You'll thank me!

The one thing that is essential is that you deflate the air suspension. If you don't, the wish bones drop right down and the strut becomes fully extended preventing the subframe being lowered enough. I used my IID to deflate the airbags but I'm sure there's other ways.

So basic plan on how to do it (to 2008 TDV8 but all very similar I'm sure):
1. Deflate air suspension. Jack and and support rear of car by the body jacking points. Remove rear wheels.
2. Loosen all the 4 sub frame bolts by a couple of turns. Leave two of the bolts in situ and remove the bolts from the other side. Supporting that side of the subframe with a traolley jack or something, lower it. You only need about 50mm of space above the bush. This may take a bit of levering or you may need to jack up the wish-bone/ strut a bit if the strut is fully extended.
3. Put the press tool in to place and remove the old bushes on that side. Clean up the bushing surfaces in the subframe and bit (mine were pretty tidy). Check the orientation of the bush - there are arrows to point front-rear of the car. Lightly grease the new bush and press it in until the tool bottoms out.
4. Once you've done both bushes on that side, lift the subframe back up with your jack and replace the bolts, don't fully tighten yet. Now do the other side. Retighten the subframe to body bolts to 165nm, as per the workshop manual.
5. Wheels on, suspension reactivated. Done!

The rear end of my car now feels much more solid and the car follows a line much better through uneven road surfaces. I didn't have any real noises prior to doing this job so that's unchanged. Car feels marginally stiffer at the back end but in a good way, not a bad way!

Hope that helps. Took me about 3h in total.

PS. It's very unlikely that I will ever use that tool again so I feel anyone wants it, I'm happy to sell it for £40 inc postage. Used once, prefect working order.

EDIT I've had some Discussion with Superspoons regarding this procedure. He purchased the same X5 bushes which I used and fitted them. Unfortunately, he has had some problems with the rubber of the bush deteriorating around the upper edges where the top plate fits. He contacted me to discuss this and wanted me to make it clear to everyone that the parts whichever are used are NOT identical to the genuine LR parts. The genuine parts have a slightly different bush for the front and rear sets of bushes on the rear-subframe. The BMW X5 bushes are all identically.

Following our discussion, I got my car in the air again to have a good look at my replaced bushes and check their condition after about 3000 miles. They are all totally fine. The only thing I would stress is that the bushes must be installed in the correct front-rear orientation and that the top plate which sits between the bush and the car body is located in the recess of the rubber bush. If this is done, I can't really see what could cause damage to the bush.

Anyway, you pay your money, you take your choice. The genuine LR bushes are undoubtedly the ideal choice, but they're significantly more expensive. The BMW X5 bushes have worked fine in my experience (so far!).

Last edited by gilesharrison on 31st May 2020 8:24am. Edited 3 times in total

Post #546882 12th Mar 2020 9:11am
stu1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Brilliant write up Thumbs Up

Post #546887 12th Mar 2020 10:24am
rjff

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

+1 on your write up.

You have a PM. Cheers
Richard

(there are no such things as an ordinary FullFat, an ordinary cat or too many tools)
2011 TDV8 Vogue Santorini Black
Gap IIDBT

Post #546893 12th Mar 2020 11:05am
Ansi

Switzerland 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Adriatic Blue

Thumbs Up

BTW, you have a Part# for this tool?

Last edited by Ansi on 12th Mar 2020 12:55pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #546904 12th Mar 2020 12:49pm
gilesharrison

Thank you. Hope it helps.

My local garage wanted to remove the whole sub frame from the car. Really not necessary and would have been many hours of labour.

Post #546905 12th Mar 2020 12:52pm
Superspoons

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zambezi Silver

Excellent - Need to do mine so PM sent regarding the tool Thumbs Up Gavin

2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged V8
1998 Defender 50th Anniversary - GB168 - preparing for sale

Follow my 4.2 Supercharged antics -
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic63354.html
https://www.instagram.com/l322_supercharged/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8ChHNSdscnJarKjBLd_IAg

Post #546915 12th Mar 2020 2:14pm
gilesharrison

Tool is Satra S-XRB16 but if you just search for ‘BMW E53 rear sub frame tool’ on eBay you’ll find them.

There is a different tool for the diff bushes so make sure you get the right one.

Post #546916 12th Mar 2020 2:15pm
Swipe

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography Td6 Java Black

Good write up, this is one job of a long list that I wanna do for my RR. 2004 Autobiography TD6 Java Black

Post #546928 12th Mar 2020 4:04pm
gilesharrison

My tool is now sold to rjff. Many thanks Richard.

We could end up with a few tools being traded about on here. Saves everyone buying one new.

Post #546936 12th Mar 2020 6:14pm
Superspoons

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zambezi Silver

I've just found the tool on the manufacturers website for those who need one -

https://wjdtools.co.uk/suspension/1683-bmw...xrb16.html

Cheaper than the Bay of E to Thumbs Up Gavin

2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged V8
1998 Defender 50th Anniversary - GB168 - preparing for sale

Follow my 4.2 Supercharged antics -
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic63354.html
https://www.instagram.com/l322_supercharged/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8ChHNSdscnJarKjBLd_IAg

Post #546980 13th Mar 2020 11:16am
Caesium

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Did the recipient of the tool get round to using it and need to pass it on... ?

I ned to do mine this week Christian.

Current Cars
2011 Range Rover Vogue SE
2020 BMW M4 Competition
2019 BMW X4

My RR Blog: www.facebook.com/L322Project
or
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic61540.html

Post #631301 11th May 2022 12:48pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

I bought one of those tools for 60 quid off eBay. It was utter Censored and stripped the threads before it removed the first bush from the frame.

I ended up doing mine in the press whilst the subframe was off the car.

There was someone on here who did theirs with aftermarket bushes and they weren't a tight fit in the frame so I'd only use genuine bushes. Unusual to see someone changing them on such a late car. Are yours worn or are you just doing them as preventative maintenance?

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #631356 12th May 2022 1:06am
Caesium

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

My MoT test advisory was to get them done and it failed on rear brake pipes so I decided to do them both at the same time.

I went for BMW X5 bushes also, if the first one is slack then I won't install the others. Only one person said they were a poor fit, others have had some success so I am hoping I am one of the latter. Christian.

Current Cars
2011 Range Rover Vogue SE
2020 BMW M4 Competition
2019 BMW X4

My RR Blog: www.facebook.com/L322Project
or
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic61540.html

Post #631375 12th May 2022 9:38am
Davidmudley

United Kingdom 

Great write up, I’ll be tackling this soon with LR bushes (2 x rear subframe) and the tool. Which lube should be used prior to fitting the new bushes? Am I right in thinking it should be silicone based synthetic waterproof grease type rather than petroleum based or does it not make a difference? Thanks Current: Range Rover L322 4.4tdv8, Porsche 911 (996) Carrera 2, BMW 535d Touring, Skoda Fabia, BMW S1000XR

Post #647810 10th Nov 2022 10:52am
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

Land Rover sell their own lubricant for doing the job. I'm not sure what it is as it's all Land Rover branded. The part number is LR012582. They call it a sealant.

Personally, I don't see the point in even trying the BMW bushes. If they fit you've saved a few quid but fitted a bush that's different to the LR ones. If they don't fit then you've wasted time and money fitting them. 🤷‍♂️ For me, I'd far rather do it once using the proper parts and know it's done properly as the genuine LR ones aren't particularly expensive in the grand scheme of things. Each to their own. though.

From what I read online, the X5 ones were a tight fit when going in but they were loose and caused problems with the car was being driven.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #647822 10th Nov 2022 12:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>