Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Second Battery Install
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

Certainly no issues yet - ie the car hasn't gone into electrical melt down.

I used the FBH on a full burn cycle and it ran for the full time and then shut down normally, where as before it was cutting out. To top it off, when I started the car I didn't get the usual "HDC Inactive" warning I always used to get after running the FBH for more than 15 minutes.

I've measured the charge voltage with engine idle before fitting and after fitting and it stays the same, so the alt can obviously cope with the extra output.

The only problems I foresee could be; In the winter when both batteries are low and all electrical accessories are on - will the alt have enough power then to supply all accessories and charge both batteries. However - the flip side of this is that with all accessories on there will be two batteries to supply the power, so in fact it could still end up being a benefit.

In an ideal world you would run separate cable to the front of the car, but on a RR that is no small feat. My 40Amp fuse is still intact and being that it runs over what looks like a 200A cable which itself is fused to 100A so there are multiple fail-safes to protect the cars wiring.

Tony, in answer to your question - there is a bracket either side of the battery, I will be fitting a strap to hold the battery in place. It's fairly tight in there so it can't go anywhere. The only time it would come out would be if the car was upside down. And frankly if the car was on it's roof I'd have bigger things to worry about Laughing

Dan 

Post #62369 2nd May 2011 10:21am
speedymarktd6

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

so how have u wired it all in dan would u be able to put it on here where you connected everything

nb obviously only takkle this job if your competent with electrics this aplies to everybody Thumbs Up onto no6 Range Rover

Everyone needs a hobby

Post #62382 2nd May 2011 1:57pm
dan_uk_1984

speedymarktd6 wrote:
so how have u wired it all in dan would u be able to put it on here where you connected everything

nb obviously only takkle this job if your competent with electrics Thumbs Up

If you can wire a plug then you can do this mod. As long as you can cope with positive and negative cables you'll be fine, life's made easy with them being Black and Red!

You only need basic tools and there is no cutting or splicing of the vehicle wiring. You'll need a 10mm socket, a crimp tool and some wire cutters.

This is where I ran my cables:

Click image to enlarge

+/- Points by d86cfv, on Flickr 

Post #62394 2nd May 2011 3:27pm
letsavit2

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

trying not to change subject too much..... Whistle

in that pic under the fuse board is that a vent from the air con? if so makes even more sense why you advise to "leave the air con on". 2004 black Vogue TD6

Post #62527 3rd May 2011 7:59pm
Turbo Tony

United Kingdom 

dan_uk_1984 wrote:
The only time it would come out would be if the car was upside down. And frankly if the car was on it's roof I'd have bigger things to worry about Laughing

Dan

Rolling with laughter Bow down

Thumbs Up Researching my first Range Rover purchase

Post #62535 3rd May 2011 8:22pm
dan_uk_1984

First issue with having a second battery today - I didnt tell the mechanic I had a second battery, so when he disconnected the main battery to change my steering column the car stayed powered up as if by magic!

Embarassed 

Post #62764 5th May 2011 6:12pm
JST

England 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

i am just contemplating a second battery in my 10MY tdv8.

i can fit an Exide 850A one in there so will prob use that and connect it as above to the rear fuse board.

Intent would be to fuse it (80A) and use a VSR connected up to the front end of the vehicle with a cut off in parrallel such as explained here: http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic19898....ry+fitting

barracuda816 wrote:

You can leave it there, or go one step further and fit a VSR.

If you have no pyrotechnics then this is very easy. You will need to separate the two cables going to the main battery (one goes to the starter and alt, the other powers the computers). leave the starter cable attached to the battery and link the cable for the computers to the vsr, connect the input of the vsr to the main battery. Then fit a bypass switch (like one of these http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?m...Aod838ArQ) in parrallel to the vsr.

This has the benifit that you are almost never going to get stuck. The aux battery will power the computers and everything you plug in to the rangey, at this time the batterys will be separate. Then when you crank the engine over the starter will be pulling the power from the main battery. Then when the engine is running the alt will charge the main battery, then when the voltage reached the required level the VSR will link the two batterys so the alt will charge the aux battery.

If the aux battery is flat then all you have to do is flick the bypass switch over and you the will essentially be returning the original configuration, that will allow you too start the car and flick the bypass back off to charge the aux back up.

Also if you dont know what a VSR is its a Voltage Sensitive Relat, you will need a dual voltage sensing one of atleast 100amp.

question is VSR why dual voltage? so it senses both ways? plus suppliers? any recommendations?

i was thinking of Durite range:

12V 140amp Durite Intelligent Voltage sense Split Charge Relay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-140amp-Durit...3a99b2cdd1

plus cut off like - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DURITE-0-605-01-...35d3fcb9b1

the other way would be to get a premade kit made up and then use sections from it as fro something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251730840815 at £64 could save some effort buying extra cables, crimps and fuse holders/fuses.

thoughts. Cheers

James

Post #303506 7th Jan 2015 10:04pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Post #303523 7th Jan 2015 10:43pm
JST

England 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

anyone tried the 2nd battery install with a VSR on a vehicle with pyro with the aim of running it as my post above? Cheers

James

Post #307883 25th Jan 2015 4:29pm
IanT599

United Kingdom 

Has anyone done the dual install in the boot as per this thread and still use the removable tow ball in the standard holder?

Post #323740 22nd Apr 2015 7:52pm
builder1966

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

having the dual battery set up sorted in the td6 and guy has suggested a led battery meter will this do any advice welcomed cheers http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Marine-Boat-...1715913311

Post #419818 28th Dec 2016 8:23am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

IanT599 wrote:
Has anyone done the dual install in the boot as per this thread and still use the removable tow ball in the standard holder?

Given the size of the tow ball vs the size of battery that can fit into that compartment, I would have thought it easier to find a new home for the tow ball......

Post #419826 28th Dec 2016 10:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12