Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > front brake pipes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
reynolds

England 2004 Range Rover Autobiography Td6 Buckingham Blue
front brake pipes

Hi been told my 2005 range rover td6 needs new front metal brake pipes the one that connects to the front brake hoses any advice on how to do it myself much appreciated Thumbs Up

Post #62614 4th May 2011 1:28pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Unless you're very competent with brakes I suggest letting a garage do it.

But, if you can do it yourself then it's just a case of removing the old pipe and replacing it with a new one. Once in place you then need to bleed the air out of the system. Whilst you're bleeding through you might as well keep bleeding until clean fresh fluid comes from all the bleedscrews. Effectively change all the fluid.

My personal preference is for copper replacements which are made up to length. Copper is much more malleable than steel so it is easier to form into place. It also doesn't rust. Use the proper grade of fluid and don't let water anywhere near the system. Don't even leave the top off the brake fluid reservoir for any length of time. It's hygroscopic.

usual caveats - ultra cleanliness is required, common sense also, and a healthy understanding of what 2.5 tonnes can do if the brakes don't work.

Post #62645 4th May 2011 6:42pm
reynolds

brake pipe

do you know how long each pipe is.

Post #62657 4th May 2011 8:01pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

No, sorry. That kind of info is unlikely to be available even to the dealers. It would just be a part number which is the correct size. This is why I make up my own in copper. I first remove the old pipe and then measure it using a normal builder's tape. Cut a length of copper to that length and fit nuts & flare the ends. There are plenty of auto factors who will also do this for you but you will need to remove the old pipe first to get the correct length.

One tip for removing rusty unions. Cut the pipe off flush with the union nut using a hacksaw, then undo the union with a 6 sided socket. remember that doing this shortens the pipe by about an inch which you need to add to your measurement.

remember also there are 2 types of flare for the end, a single and a double. Single looks like a donut shape and a double is the same with the end pushed in. Male & female if you prefer.

Best of luck. Not an overly hard job but can be tedious.

Post #62679 4th May 2011 9:22pm
reynolds

Thanks for your replys has anyone replaced these two pipes as i have not been under car yet and i just wondered how long they were. Do they go right to the master cylinder or are they connected elsewhere thank you

Post #62726 5th May 2011 12:10pm
johnatandy

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

Hi, I have changed the front to back brake pipes, not that hard to do just a bit fiddly having to take off all the plastic covers.

The pipes are split under the front N/S inner wheel arch liner at the bottom so i guess you could change the front ones from there.

Good Luck Thumbs Up

John

Post #62787 5th May 2011 7:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1