Home > General > Vogue v Vogue SE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Rolo

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Orkney Grey
Vogue v Vogue SE

Hello,

Considering a purchase of new or nearly new RR.
Comparing new prices lists, even adding all the extras on a standard Vogue to bring up to SE spec it still seems a few grand cheaper.

Does anyone know what extra you're getting for this money ? (apart from 20" wheels, cooled seats, auto dimming mirrors, adaptive cruise control, side load nets, homelink garage door opener which can be added to the vogue and still less money)

Is the new 4.4 V8 diesel much more worth going for than the 3.6 ?

any comments welcomed !

Thanks

Post #63466 11th May 2011 6:25pm
johnson1

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black
Re: Vogue v Vogue SE

Hi

The Vogue SE's leather is much much nicer - perforated semi-analine. Front heated and cooled seats, homelink etc. Not massively more over the Vogue. Would try and get Adaptive Xenons as these really are great. Does the SE come with Adaptive Cruise Control as standard - if so, no brainer. Nicer standar wheels on SE too.

4.4 is a giant leap from the 3.6 and would aim for one of these if budget allows. A 4.4 Vogue will be more preferable in years to come than a 3.6 VSE so bare this in mind.

Post #63468 11th May 2011 6:47pm
Rolo

Thanks, yes the SE has adaptive cruise as standard, but as said you can add that to the vogue & many more bits & still seems quite a bit cheaper ! Vogue does have standard cruise control though.

I like the sound of the fuel economy & performance on the new 4.4.

I'd also be interested if anyone has any good or bad points for reliabiltiy / issues on the 3.6 or 4.4 ??

I haven't owned a RR for about 20 years, but am looking forward to driving one again.

cheers,
R

Post #63469 11th May 2011 6:59pm
johnson1

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Rolo wrote:
Thanks, yes the SE has adaptive cruise as standard, but as said you can add that to the vogue & many more bits & still seems quite a bit cheaper ! Vogue does have standard cruise control though.

I like the sound of the fuel economy & performance on the new 4.4.

I'd also be interested if anyone has any good or bad points for reliabiltiy / issues on the 3.6 or 4.4 ??

I haven't owned a RR for about 20 years, but am looking forward to driving one again.

cheers,
R

I would personally go for the SE. Have a look at both - I personally prefer the contrast stitching on the leather on the Vogue SE than the piping on the Vogue - to me the VSE looks more expensive. Though I agree, the jump in price may not be justified. The biggest jump in equipment is probably VSE to Autobiography because of the full leather facia, headlining, dual view screen, nco on headlining colour, adaptive Xenons etc. You may be able to find a 3.6 Autobiography for a fairly reasonable price - less than a new Vogue because of the new engine.

Reliability: The 3.6 has been around since around 2006 so any problems will have been ironed out in theory. The 4.4 is very new and there are battery issues on the 4.4 as myself and other owners on here have experienced. Look at the large 'recall' thread for info.

The 4.4 is much much better in terms of fuel economy and performance.

Post #63472 11th May 2011 7:17pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

The Vogue SE is nicer, no doubt, but I had a Vogue before that and it did everything I needed too.
Most of the extras just make it feel a bit more special.

However, I'd not go for the VSE if there are messy young ones about.
Normal leather is easy to clean. Getting chocolate out of perforated seats is a whole different story. Laughing

With regards to engine, the 4.4 is obviously better.
But having said that the 3.6 is still very, very good. And it'll have already lost a chunk of depreciation. This last point makes it a better buy in my eyes as I'm not keen on losing a fortune so quickly as you do on a new Range Rover. Particularly when a new model is only a couple of years away. If that doesn't bother you then it's got to be a 4.4 VSE or autobiography.

Plus as the 4.4 has been out for a little while now they'll be getting the hang of the niggles most new Land Rover products come with.

Post #63502 11th May 2011 9:38pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

If you want the SE spec & toys then definitely go the SE and do not spec up a Vogue as you will retain a premium on the SE but not the extra spent on the Vogue Thumbs Up

PS: If you can afford to buy new then get the Vogue SE or you may regret it.

Post #63510 11th May 2011 10:36pm
Rambles

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Rolo

I'm with Johnson1 on this - go for the SE.
4.4 engine far better than old 3.6, but be aware the battery problems.

Post #63535 12th May 2011 8:11am
Rolo

Thanks so much guys for all your input & ideas - it's really helpful.

Thanks for the heads up on the battery issue - I'll take a look at that thread.

I am trying to get to grips with the depreciation on these, but as my other half says you only live once, so why worry and get what you want !
mind you easy for her to say, it's me paying for it ! Shocked

Post #63537 12th May 2011 8:17am
Rolo

Hi again.
OK, now I'm worried.

Just read the whole post on the battery / non starting problems.

Should I really be bracing myself for problems when spending so much hard earned cash ?
Am I really fooling myself thinking "mine will be alright" ?

I'm going to be so Censored off if a month down the line I get a problem like this, especially if it's such a common problem.

I hope that senior LR staff do read these posts, cause here's a good reason for me to change my mind & not buy one after all.

I hate dillemas Big Cry

** - On browsing what's for sale I have wondered why you can get quite a few 2 to 6 month old SE's with very few miles on the clock. Upon enquiring, they don't seem to be ex-demos & being so pessimistic I wonder if these cars are ones that have been returned by unhappy owners ? Why else would someone shell out 70 - 80K for a car they only use a few times and sell on ? I can understand someone changing vehicles every 1, 2 or 3 years, but only a few months seems odd.

Post #63546 12th May 2011 9:04am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

As has been said, the leather is much nicer but I don't think the premium of a new SE is worth it.

Post #63550 12th May 2011 9:24am
Fox

United Kingdom 

Rolo wrote:
** - On browsing what's for sale I have wondered why you can get quite a few 2 to 6 month old SE's with very few miles on the clock. Upon enquiring, they don't seem to be ex-demos & being so pessimistic I wonder if these cars are ones that have been returned by unhappy owners ? Why else would someone shell out 70 - 80K for a car they only use a few times and sell on ? I can understand someone changing vehicles every 1, 2 or 3 years, but only a few months seems odd.

Maybe you could track the chassis number at a dealer, it should show any warranty work that's been done on it.
My dealer did this for me and it showed every time the vehicle came into a LR garage from new. Thumbs Up

And these cars could be a good buy if they have been sorted out correctly.
1st owners are great for splashing the cash, getting all the frustration and sorting out all the niggles. You then get a cheaper car that actually works. Laughing

Post #63551 12th May 2011 9:26am
Rolo

Quote:
Maybe you could track the chassis number at a dealer, it should show any warranty work that's been done on it.
My dealer did this for me and it showed every time the vehicle came into a LR garage from new.

Thanks, I didn't think of that ! Thumbs Up

Post #63552 12th May 2011 9:28am
Ajay(UK)

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver

Fox wrote:
My dealer did this for me and it showed every time the vehicle came into a LR garage from new. Thumbs Up

I asked my dealer about warranty history on mine before buying it and they quoted me "data protection blah blah blah" and wouldn't give me any details Confused mind you it wasn't supplied by them Rolling Eyes

I have now been in to register the car on their system in case of any recalls etc and they were then only too pleased to tell me how little warranty work had been carried out previously Confused

The 4.4 was never an option for me plus I have a huge dislike of the dial/knob to change gear but I am struggling to find a fault with the 3.6 over my first two weeks of ownership so maybe you could drive both but as for the trim level SE all the way for me - As Gary says if you spec up a Vogue with SE extras you will never recover the outlay, the SE will always command a higher resale value. Thumbs Up

Andy. 2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver with Black Pack.
SWMBO: 22MY Defender 110 HSE X Dynamic, Gondwana Stone.
Gone: 2014 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Firenze Red
Gone: 2006MY Java Black TD6 Autobiography
Gone: 2013 Jaguar XKR Convertible, Italian Racing Red with Ivory Seats
Gone: 2010MY Stornoway Grey TDV8 Vogue SE with RSE
Gone: 2008 Disco 3 HSE, Hybrid Tv + Retro-fit RSE System & DVD
Gone: 2003 Epsom Green 4.4i Vogue, LPG, Mk4 Nav, BMW Bluetooth Phone, Hybrid Tv Tuner,

Post #63569 12th May 2011 12:22pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

Ajay(UK) wrote:
I asked my dealer about warranty history on mine before buying it and they quoted me "data protection blah blah blah" and wouldn't give me any details Confused mind you it wasn't supplied by them Rolling Eyes

That's carp.
Data protection is for personal, private or sensitive information mostly...

Post #63579 12th May 2011 12:45pm
Rolo

[quote="Fox"]

Ajay(UK) wrote:

I suspect the usual "switch off" the moment a dealer thinks he's not getting a sale and you're just wasting his time asking questions he can't profit from - that's a shame. Interesting how they changed their attitude once you had the vehicle - I guess they think they'll get the servicing work !

So from the general feel from all you nice, knowledgable RR owners, you'd say get a year old SE rather than a new standard vogue with plenty of extras (because they're about the same price). If I do that I'd probably want to get an extra year warranty once the factory one runs out. Anyone know what the going rate is for a warranty worth having from LR?
thanks

Post #63593 12th May 2011 1:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>