Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Issues buying replacement ignition key
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lschwarcz

United States 2009 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Bournville
Issues buying replacement ignition key

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone had issues getting a replacement key from a dealer? I ordered a replacement key from my local Land Rover dealer (Land Rover of Livermore, CA, USA).

Over the 8 months since I first ordered it I've now received three and all three were cut exactly the same and none of the three are even close to the cut of my original working key.

They have rechecked that they have my correct VIN many times. The guy I've been working with in the parts department seems to be doing all he can but the process they have makes it impossible for him to do much.

He says that he has no way to directly contact the group that does the cutting. His only way to communicate with them is to call and leave a voicemail message. They then e-mail him back. Seems like a wonky way to contact them that can easily be prone to errors. Not to mention that any comments he gives them seem to be ignored.

I tried calling Land Rover customer service and they told me all they can do is contact the dealer. They also have no way to contact the group that actually cuts the keys.

It seems my next steps would be to directly contact executives at Land Rover North America and Jaguar Land Rover UK.

It just seems so unusual that this mystery group exists in a vacuum with no recourse when they screw up.

Has anyone here had issues like this? How did you eventually resolve them? Any suggestions on what else I may try?

Thanks in advance!
Larry. 2009 Range Rover L322 Autobiography
Bournville/Ivory
Save lives, give blood.

Post #602434 31st Jul 2021 8:13pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Ask for a refund and go to a locksmith that deals with cars, nothing special about the key any decent locksmith can cut one and programme the key to your car.. Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #602439 31st Jul 2021 9:12pm
lschwarcz

Might be simple over in the UK. Out here in the USA just strolling into a dealership for a key will set you back about $650 USD. This dealership was selling the key from their website for $200. Cost for a qualified locksmith to cut the is roughly $50.

Out here the locksmith would also need to source the blank from a Land Rover dealership. Either way, it's not going to be a quick process.

Bournville/Ivory
Save lives, give blood.

Post #602531 1st Aug 2021 9:06pm
Haylands

Plenty of Chinese copies that work well enough, when programmed, on eBay or Aliexpress... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #602534 1st Aug 2021 9:38pm
lschwarcz

Thanks but I'm not looking for a cheap knockoff. Looking for the real thing. That's why I went to a dealer and not eBay.

Thanks,
Bournville/Ivory
Save lives, give blood.

Post #602541 1st Aug 2021 10:12pm
Haylands

Oh right, good luck with the dealer... Thumbs Up Pete

Post #602547 1st Aug 2021 11:23pm
gravitylover

United States 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Alveston Red

I just went through this and haven't finished the process yet. I spoke to the local LR dealer and they said it was 30-90 day turnaround and they needed an original key to send to LR in the UK so they could make sure their info was correct. Unfortunately I only have one key and the (minimum) of $650 could end up closer to $800 by the time the new key got here. Since I only have one key so that would mean the truck would be disabled in my driveway for a few months. Unacceptable and outrageously expensive for something that should be quite simple.

I got this from eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/132218497073 but it had the wrong transponder chip. It says it has a 46 but it was a 44 which could have been a problem but- I got the key cut at a local auto parts store because there isn't a locksmith for 30 miles around that would cut a key they didn't sell and the least expensive any of them quoted me for the blank key was $400 because it's a Land Rover Rolling Eyes Not a single one of them would even consider programming after they cut it and cloning the transponder was also out the question WTF! They were totally content with leaving me with a key that wouldn't turn in the ignition after charging $400 plus the $50 to cut it. After driving all over the damn place, 160 miles and 4.5 hours out of my life, my last resort low end parts store did it for $40. I met a guy on another forum that was happy to help clone the transponder and he had extra 46 chips because he's a geek and bought a bag of them when he had to do for his own truck so we figured out how to change it and got it done. IT WORKS! but until I sync it the buttons are useless, at least I have a spare key that will open the door and start the thing which is a huge relief. I'll do the sync when I have some time with nothing else to do because apparently it's pretty common for it not to work and at that point you will have two keys that are useless until you get it to work.

All that said, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned that it's not OE LR because they're so full of themselves it makes me want to puke. It's just a damned key, cut the thing and be done with it.

Post #603555 11th Aug 2021 11:19pm
lschwarcz

Thanks for the pointer!

I'm still trying to solve my issue getting the OEM key. In my situation they did not ask for the original key. In theory, they should have been able to cut the key correctly just off of my VIN. They are not suspecting that my locks (driver's door and ignition) had been changed but somehow not noted in the service history.

Another reason I'm trying to get is solved via LR is because it only cost me $200! Since I have the GAP IID tool I can code it myself.

But, I may pick up one of these just to have an extra!

Thanks again!
Bournville/Ivory
Save lives, give blood.

Post #603612 12th Aug 2021 4:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1