Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Dead battery recharge on or off
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Rolo

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Orkney Grey

Sorry Rambles, the quote was from Dan's post, which had your quote in already, but as you can see my quote went wrong !

Post #68929 17th Jun 2011 7:51am
Blubberman

Wales 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

IMHO It all depends what kind of battery charger you have , based on Sealed Lead acid batteries . (sorry I don't know the charging requirements of silver or calcium batteries )

I use an elderly Gunsons fixed voltage charger which I use without disconnecting anything . It has two settings , 13.8 volts for a standby or float charge , and 14.4 volts for a full charge . It can be used for charging thixothropic gel batteries ( golf cart etc) as well as SLA batteries ( car batteries ) .

Many standard battery chargers allow the voltage to increase beyond 14.4 volts , which can damage the diode pack in the alternator and damage the electronics in the vehicle , because as the battery gets more charged the current it takes reduces and the voltage applied to the battey by a standard charger can increase up to 18 volts and more , which will be bad news for any circuits designed for operation at 14.4 volts , which is the voltage that your alternator normally produces . Also the higher voltages liberate more production of explosive hydrogen gas

Ideally you should remove your battery completely from the vehicle for charging it , due to the possibility of hydrogen gas being produced by the charging process , which may ignite due to sparking which may be produced when connecting the charger . ( In practice , removing the battery is not something that I would want to do on a regular basis because it is very heavy and awkward )

If I were to offer advice , it would be this :

1. If you have a standard battery charger , remove the negative lead before charging and leave the bonnet open if charging on the car .

2. If you have a voltage controlled charger , such as one of the new CteK smart chargers which limits the charging voltage to 14.4 volts , leave the leads attached and charge with the bonnet open .

Don't forget , make sure you follow the other posts on here about making sure you remove the key from the ignition and leave for several minutes before disconnecting any battery leads , and move the steering wheel from lock to lock after reconnection.

Hope this helps

Blubberman Its big , its black and we call it THE BEAST !

Post #69104 17th Jun 2011 9:47pm
Katash

England 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Rolo wrote:
..... If you happen to be wearing a watch or ring and that bridges your spanner/positive connection to earth/negative on the car body, you will get a very nasty burn ! .....

When I was at college my lecturer told us a story of a friend of his that was removing a car battery and the spanner on the pos terminal touched a gold bracelet on whis wrist which was also touching the negative terminal, apparently the spanner and bracelet partly exploded due to the high current potential of the circuit.

The damage was so severe he had to have his hand amputated.

People sometimes only consider the low voltage when working on a car battery, but forget under short circuit conditions the current can be huge.

Last edited by Katash on 18th Jun 2011 12:58pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #69117 18th Jun 2011 3:58am
Rambles

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Katash

Rambles wrote.......
No I didn't...Rolo wrote that.

Post #69118 18th Jun 2011 6:14am
Rolo

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Orkney Grey

Rambles wrote:
Katash