Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Thumping when accelerating with wheel turned
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Desper

Canada 2010 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Alaska White
Thumping when accelerating with wheel turned

My 2010 L322 SC makes no odd noises when wheels are pointed ahead, but the slightest turn in either direction while under a bit of load and there is this odd thump-thump-thump sound that can be heard (sounds and FEELS a bit like going over a small speed bump fast) if I turn the wheel more, the thumping goes faster. But feels like it’s coming from the back. I’ve recently had an independent LR SHOP replace all front control arms and all ball joints. Which resolved some other clunks and play. But this was happening before and after all this work.

Last thing I’d add is that while 80% of the time it’s reproducible, some days it just doesn’t happen and I can’t pinpoint what is different about those days. (Not temperature or humidity based for example)

The truck drives great apart from this.

My guess is half-shaft u-joints or gearbox given how it comes on with turning but what do you think?

Post #679452 4th Dec 2023 7:17pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

My guess would be drive shaft CV joints....

Any decent garage should be able to find the issue, nothing special that needs the main dealer to find... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #679465 4th Dec 2023 9:12pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Last edited by Phoenix on 23rd Dec 2023 11:30pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #679475 4th Dec 2023 10:00pm
Desper

Haylands wrote:
My guess would be drive shaft CV joints....

Any decent garage should be able to find the issue, nothing special that needs the main dealer to find... Thumbs Up

ya I suspect this too, but the problem is the 20% of the time this doesn't happen is when I've had the shop take a look.. they don't hear it. But when it's there it's very prominent. So I'll keep trying. But the cv boots look good, so it's not obvious in that way. Also why would it not make the noise sometimes if it was a cv joint? it's an odd one.

Post #679480 4th Dec 2023 10:23pm
Desper

Phoenix wrote:
Could be transfer box locked up, try shifting from high to low & back again a few times.
It happens occasionally even though the lock %age is variable, sometimes the actuator needs a kick up the backside.

interesting, I'll play with that!

Post #679481 4th Dec 2023 10:24pm
gt40

South Africa 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zambezi Silver

Check your tire pressures. I have experienced this on 3 different L322's and a couple of Discovery 4's and in every case, correcting the tire pressures solved the problem.

In my case, the slightly different wheel speeds due to differing pressures was enough to trigger the thumping. On one of the vehicles I had to alter the factory recommended pressures slightly on one axle to stop the noise. So if the pressures are definitely correct according to the book, try lowering the pressures by a couple of PSI on the front OR the rear only. If that doesn't work, try increasing it by a couple.

The correct pressures for normal loads are front 33 psi and rear 36 psi.

Post #679502 5th Dec 2023 1:17am
Desper

Quote:
heck your tire pressures. I have experienced this on 3 different L322's and a couple of Discovery 4's and in every case, correcting the tire pressures solved the problem.

In my case, the slightly different wheel speeds due to differing pressures was enough to trigger the thumping. On one of the vehicles I had to alter the factory recommended pressures slightly on one axle to stop the noise. So if the pressures are definitely correct according to the book, try lowering the pressures by a couple of PSI on the front OR the rear only. If that doesn't work, try increasing it by a couple.

The correct pressures for normal loads are front 33 psi and rear 36 psi.

Interesting, I hope it’s not that because of the vagueness;) I’d prefer a clean fix. But I’ll play with that. I wonder if it’s some other worn component that can create a sensitivity to tire diameter?

Post #679642 6th Dec 2023 6:31pm
Desper

Desper wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
Could be transfer box locked up, try shifting from high to low & back again a few times.
It happens occasionally even though the lock %age is variable, sometimes the actuator needs a kick up the backside.

interesting, I'll play with that!

I tried switching high to low several times but didn’t reduce it. Also switched to different terrain modes and could see the diff unlocked/locking when driving around in different terrain.

Post #679643 6th Dec 2023 6:33pm
Desper

FYI, I finally got the truck to make the noise for the LR indy mechanic and he said it sounded like rear diff. He took the truck and flushed/replaced the diff and gearbox fluids a few times (which where contaminated and gross) and then updated the software. since then it's been good(crossfingers). Will update if it comes back.

edit: 2 months in... seems fixed.

Post #682167 8th Jan 2024 6:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1