Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > New user with a query...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey
New user with a query...

Hello all!

This is my first and possibly the start of my foray into FFRR ownership!

Im looking at a quite cheap FFRR Vogue SE 2005 pre facelift but with some facelift parts, ie touchscreen nav but wipers instead of headlight washers.

the query I have is about getting more pep out of the TD6 engine.

I know plenty of places do tuning for the engine and they are quite sturdy other than turbo and injector issues and that i should be aware of the front driveshaft spline recall as well. But i would like to know if there are any sensors in the exhaust system itself, IE if i wished to remove the front silencer/cat out of the system to free it up a little more would it upset a pressure flow sensor in the exhaust does anyone know?

Also are RAI's or snorkles available yet for the FFRR as i cant seem to find any when doing a quick google Sad

It looks like an OK car, bit disapointing its not been made a bit later for the full facelift but i can live with it for the price and i guess parts can be upgraded as time goes on Smile

Many thanks for any advice in advance Smile

Post #67374 7th Jun 2011 8:55am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

hi mate and welcome, mine is a 2005 td6 with some facelift stuff like touch screen etc and being a hse model they still stuck some of the vogue bits on it, i suppose to make it more attractive to sell before the proper facelift came out..
cant answer about the cat removal but i know snorkels aren't available for this model as it was talked about recently..
i had mine re-mapped for more mpg and was happy by the initial results but within ten days or so the mpg went back to roughly what it was before, but the performance was and is better...you will find that the FFRR is a car that wants to be driven in a relaxing mood rather than throwing it around country lanes ..even in standard setup its quite a fast car considering its size..

Post #67375 7th Jun 2011 9:12am
kingpleb

Cheers Scarey.

ites really going to be a weekend car. I ride to work everyday and with a new job soon i'll need to do shift work and there is only 1 day a week where the trains dont run ( i ride to the local station then get off after a few stops and ride the rest of the way). it costs about £5 a week for the train and for a 50mile round trip in any car i don't think i'd get close to that price per day so the FFRR is only for sunday work use and when we go on holiday and load it up with the kids and their kit, one reason im only looking at FFRR Vogue SE's. i know you can retrofit rear displays but i'd reather stay original as scouring ebay the parts don't come up that often..

Does anyone run their FFRR on BioD at all?

Can underbody protection be bought at all?? Not thinking about serious offroading, more that it could help protect the underseal and helps the brick shape be a bit more aerodynamic Very Happy

Post #67377 7th Jun 2011 9:27am
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

sounds like a good deal on the train.. Thumbs Up

i wouldn't worry to much about underbody protection..i took mine to salisbury plain with two other members and although the trek was pretty tame , it performed admirably..

Post #67391 7th Jun 2011 11:13am
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

There has never been a snorkel for the FFRR - I've been deep wading in a 4.4 and not had an issue, the air intakes are apparently cyclonic. My 2010 has twin air boxes, and also has had no issues deep wading (and it worries me with a supercharger - as sip BANG!)

You will find that the vehicle is much more aerodynamic than any previous LR! The monocoque is well designed with the standard armour providing cover, and a lot of the vital bits tucked up safely.

"Does anyone run their FFRR on BioD at all? "

I wouldn't. It's not recommended for modern engines, due to the bad effect it can have on seals/pumps etc. You'd be okay if it was D1 with a 300TDi Wink Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #67445 7th Jun 2011 3:31pm
kingpleb

Are there any diagrams as to the setup then of the inlet tract so i can see how its cyclonic and how it would cope, and also where its located so i know how far to wade? i know LR reccomend a maximum of 500mm but i've seen pics of them deeper, and one that had died doing so on here and don't want to go too deep Smile

Post #67634 8th Jun 2011 9:56am
kingpleb

Another query im afraid....

I've spotted a nice 2005MY FFRR and am wondering how hard it is to get the 2006MY front end on one? Im guessing id need the lamp units, bumper and grille??

It just looks so much nicer and i think it would be worth doing, even factoring in spraying it up is it posible to get it all done for under £1k if i get the parts cheap and do the fitting myself??

Post #68475 14th Jun 2011 8:38am
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

the 2005 is ideal for the 2006/09 conversion as its on the facelift changeover time and would not look out of place..i have the same year and when funds provide, i'll do this 'upgrade'.....

there are a few companys that do this but they charge quite a lot ..best bet is to ebay 'range rover conversions' or 'range rover bumper headlights ' and you should find something...as for the fitting, i believe its very straight forward..

Post #68487 14th Jun 2011 9:53am
kingpleb

Cheers Scarey Smile

A quick nosey on ebay brought this up, so another few £££ for sprayings after i prep should easily cover it and get a ncie fresh looking rangie for a possible £17k....

Post #68508 14th Jun 2011 11:48am
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

the facelift model has a better more modern look to it, not that the pre-facelift looks bad...

Post #68512 14th Jun 2011 11:57am
kingpleb

Just really looking to get rid of the wipers on the headlamps should i get one with them as i prefer the more spotlight looks of the newer headlamps as well and as long as its not a massive jumpt electrically then all the better Smile

Post #68513 14th Jun 2011 12:05pm
kingpleb

ok the one i was after has now gone Sad

As the Vogue SE's are a bit thin on the ground i may widen my search to include Vogues, but, and its a big but....

Has anyone retrofitted the rear displays or know where the service is offered? I'd like to stay with the OE kit so that means, 2 screens in the headrests(not autobiography style mid seat big screens), dvd changer, remotes and headphones. I know if i have to buy the kit im talking a sizeable chunk of cash unless it can be found from breakers but the chances of breaker units coming up are few and far between i guess..

Has anyone done it then or does any company offer the service?? it would be for a facelift model, circa 2005/2006 as i like the newer front end and the touch screen sat nav and they are just in budget(wish i could stretch to a TDV8!) even from dealers there are some about for about 17k which gives a tiny bit more protection as they often offer 12month warranties and if not its a good bartering tool Smile

Post #68654 15th Jun 2011 12:41pm
kingpleb

Nobody retrofitted then Sad

On another note how prone are the TD6 gearbox's to failure and is there anything i should look for other than injector/turbo issues on possible purchases as the TD6 is the same engine as used in the 530d/730d of the time i know these are common issues with them?

I even looked at a Pathfinder the other week but the issues i see popping up about the cam chains slipping off and that even some places are selling kits to avoid the design flaw worried me, and the fact that while you get a newer vehicle, its just like being a 110 CSW on the inside but with a semi decent outside...

Post #72237 13th Jul 2011 3:14pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

There are Lambda Oxygen Sensors before and after both CATs that will show a yellow dashboard engine light if they do not detect the correct readings......

Not sure but you may be able to get them capped off.

Post #72243 13th Jul 2011 4:31pm
kingpleb

Ahh Sad has anyone ever used the msv2 to turn these off or is there a resistor replacement method possible to fool the ecu or does it simply rely on them too much to do this without going the full remap route?

Post #72244 13th Jul 2011 4:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>