Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 4.4 TDV8 Vibration/Rumble - RPM related
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

Quote:
- it ran fine until things got up to operating temp and it went into Restricted Performance (RP) mode. I can only assume this was due to the temperature sensor (Bank 1 - sensor 1?) on the EGR pipe reading obviously low with no exhaust gases flowing through. There was no error code logged but clearing all ECUs took it out of RP mode.

A fault should have been logged. If you're using an IIDTool then there's a setting that needs to be changed to see all faults.
I expect the fault to be a pressure/airflow plausibility fault because the MAF is registering more air mass for the manifold pressure than it should as some air should be flowing through the EGR valve once the EGR minimum engine operating temp has been reached.

Post #626655 21st Mar 2022 8:49pm
hotpotatojr

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Thanks yep that makes sense (about the MAF).

Yes I'm using IID Tool I wasn't aware of this setting - how do I enable it?

Post #626667 21st Mar 2022 10:06pm
GraemeS

Under faults, select advanced. Mine has test failed, pending and confirmed with a green tick. IIRC confirmed wasn't set ex factory.

Post #626675 22nd Mar 2022 3:29am
hotpotatojr

thanks - wasn't aware of that!

Another small update. Took the actuator arm off the primary turbo to check movement of the vanes - all is moving nice and freely.

I also bypassed the turbine shut off solenoid (so it had permanent vacuum) and can confirm from IIDtool that the shut off valve on the secondary turbo opens when it's given vacuum and there are no vacuum leaks (soon goes into RP mode so I couldn't test if the vibration still occurred @ 2400rpm). So I'm content the shut off valve isn't sticking.

Running out of options now Big Cry

Whatever the correct "operating conditions" are at around 2400rpm - something isn't commanding the secondary turbine shut off valve to open until 3k.

Any help welcomed.

Click image to enlarge

Post #626856 23rd Mar 2022 11:08pm
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

This is a complete stab in the dark but do a you tube search for, pa6-gf30 turbo boost valve.

Post #626865 24th Mar 2022 12:22am
hotpotatojr

Hi Kevin, thanks....tested the boost valve today and its working fine...the light blue line refers but it's commanded 'late' at around 3k. The green line relates to the measured position which isn't long after.

It's whatever tells the valve (via the ECM) to open that I'm struggling finding Crying or Very sad

Post #626866 24th Mar 2022 12:35am
kevinp

It's complicated stuff mate but there are three of them units in the system and I have no idea what they do to be honest. I've just sold a couple to a member on here.
Is the vacuum pipe definitely connected to the secondary turbo activator?

Post #626867 24th Mar 2022 1:14am
hotpotatojr

Yes mate, I bypassed the valve and connected the permanent vacuum to the turbine shut off valve and IIDTool shows the secondary turbo permanently active, so all hoses are fine.

When I connect it back up it still activates but at 3k rpm all at the same time as the recirculation valve and compressor shut off valve (and confirmed working by the airflow on MAFT bank 2 sensor).

The other pressure valve controls the compressor shut off valve and I know that is working as that is when the symptoms stop. Theres a couple more on the other side of the bay which don't control turbos.

Post #626879 24th Mar 2022 8:43am
kevinp

It sounds like you know your way around things. Sorry I couldn't help. Hope you sort it .

Post #626880 24th Mar 2022 8:54am
hotpotatojr

no problem thanks for the input - it's a quiet post this one and as far as I can tell there's only me and Rambles with this issue so obviously not a common one! Trawling the internet hasn't helped either as it's such a specific setup on these engines.

Post #626882 24th Mar 2022 9:25am
GraemeS

Have you checked the harmonic balancer/front pulley and the belts for unusual behaviour as the revs go up and down through the rumble zone?

Post #626887 24th Mar 2022 10:49am
hotpotatojr

Thanks Graeme I couldn't see anything obviously wrong with the harmonic balancer/front pulley and the belts (the Mrs must be sick of revving the car for me Laughing )

I don't want to jump the gun, but I think I might have cracked it.....

Back on page 2 I mentioned I suspected the electro-viscous fan had failed as it was extremely noisy at all RPMs and had excessive lateral play. I wasn't convinced at the time it could be causing the vibration noise so religiously at 2.4k and stopped at 3k - especially as the EGR and secondary turbocharger operations happened at this point.

When the engine is cold, you cant shove a newspaper in the fan without it ripping it to shreds. IIDtool confirmed at the time that the electro-side of things weren't actuated so the viscous unit must be Censored .

I've got no error codes relating to the fan. Unplugging it doesn't chuck up an engine management light but it does log a fault on IIDtool.

I removed the fan this afternoon and zip-tied it back to the radiator/charge air cooler enough so I could take it for a drive and.....

NO VIBRATION

It would also explain the excessive fuel consumption as it appears the fan was permanently engaged. I can't explain why it disappears at exactly 3krpm - maybe the electronic side of the fan activates/de-activates at this point; I'd had to do another log (racked up about 60 of them on this fault!!).

The fan part number is LR022732 so I'll be replacing soon, along with the pulley bearings and belt (luckily the water pump seems fine and wasn't changed long before I bought it; notice the obvious scars on the fan nut).

I'll report back once done to close this problem off definitively.

Interesting point, while the L322 workshop manual states:

"At engine speeds above 2400 rpm under load, the fixed vane secondary turbine comes into operation"

In practice, I don't measure this on the IIDTool which sent me down a blind alley.

Interestingly the L405 workshop manual (with the same engine) states:

"When the engine operating parameters approach the the limits (approximately 2800 rev/min under load) of the primary turbocharger, the ECM begins the switch to parallel bi-turbocharger operation"

So I think in reality this is what should happen, and does happen on my car; between 2800 and 3000.

One last thing if it helps anyone, the quickest way to check the secondary turbocharger turbine shut off valve and associated vacuum solenoid valve is to let it idle from cold for 3minutes and do a data log on the following values. Revving it immediately closes the value, and idling again brings it back open.

From the WM "If the engine idles for more than 3 minutes, the secondary turbocharger is actuated to ensure correct lubrication"

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #626919 24th Mar 2022 6:40pm
GraemeS

It seems as though you've found the cause!

Mine's secondary turbo change-over operation has changed with pcm updates so the WSM could be out of date with regards to rev ranges.

Post #626930 24th Mar 2022 8:34pm
kevinp

Interesting to see that your fan connecting nut is a dull colour. I'm investigating a dull humming noise and was wondering if it could be coming from the fan. But my nut is clean and bright in colour so I'm suspecting it has already been changed.
Could be a common mileage failure item?

Post #626944 24th Mar 2022 11:19pm
Rambles

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Interesting. My previous Indy had replaced those same pipes for the air con which run across the top of the shroud for the fan just before my problem started.
Maybe the shroud was moved / damaged in the process.
I will check on the weekend

Post #626950 25th Mar 2022 7:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>