Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Dodgy Starter?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
MartinD

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black
Dodgy Starter?

This morning, in the Censored rain, I went out to the car as normal to do the school run. All I get is a click and nothing more. I was under the impression that the starter doesn't just give up; it usually shows signs of failure before this.

Haven't yet plugged in to get any codes or checked the battery voltage (though everything else seems fine) as it's still chucking down.

Is this most likely to be the starter? Having spent about 3.5k on her over the past 1.5 months I was hoping for some trouble free times or is it just her time of the month? Laughing 2011 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE - 'Black Betty'
2000 4.0 P38 HSE - 'Green Goblin' - Gone.
Audi..Mini..BMW..

Post #640464 22nd Aug 2022 9:03am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Bit of a known issue that one. Loads on here.

Folks have tried a few things from new batteries, starters and even upgrading the cabling.

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic58152.html?highlight=click

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic46418.html?highlight=click

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic50836.html?highlight=click

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic53347.html?highlight=click

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic53272.html?highlight=click

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #640467 22nd Aug 2022 9:28am
MartinD

Ta mate; have had a read through of those.

What's a 'good' voltage of the battery while it's sitting with the ignition off?

I don't know the history or health of it so that might be the cheapest place to start (pardon the pun) before doing the starter which is considerably more expensive.

I could hook up a booster pack I guess and see if that makes any difference. Just need to find the jump points under the bonnet. 2011 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE - 'Black Betty'
Audi..Mini..BMW..

Post #640472 22nd Aug 2022 9:55am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

According to resident Guru 'Sir' Camtec -Craig it's a bad idea to jump start these cars with either another car or a booster as you can fry the ECU. Although others have done so without problems you have been warned! The advice is to charge the battery off the car rather than jump unless you can avoid it.
Although it's not entirely reliable it should be over 12v cold. If the battery is original it's worth getting a new one anyway for peace of mind as they are not 'that' expensive. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #640475 22nd Aug 2022 10:35am
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

If you get a click and nothing else it's likely to be the starter.

Quite common on the 4.4 TDV8.

Easy job to change though - less then an hour. You don't need to remove anything other then the under tray to get it out.

Denso starter used to be around £350 from Euro Car Parts.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #640476 22nd Aug 2022 10:36am
JayGee

I can hardly wait for mine to fail so I can do a job on the engine myself...... Rolling with laughter 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #640478 22nd Aug 2022 10:41am
MartinD

dhallworth wrote:
If you get a click and nothing else it's likely to be the starter.

Quite common on the 4.4 TDV8.

Easy job to change though - less then an hour. You don't need to remove anything other then the under tray to get it out.

Denso starter used to be around £350 from Euro Car Parts.

David.

Well, it does now also seem to flashing the 'press footbrake pedal' bit now too (and the brake is solid after so many attempts).

IT's currently sitting at 12.2v which, for me, is too low but given the repeated attempts.. i dunno. Thinking battery replacement is the first step though I can't go anywhere to get one right now as everyone else is away at work! 2011 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE - 'Black Betty'
Audi..Mini..BMW..

Post #640481 22nd Aug 2022 10:54am
JayGee

it should start at 12.2v. Mine would start at near 11 volts on the old battery. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #640482 22nd Aug 2022 10:56am
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Standing voltage should be 12-13.2V with ignition off, on the lower side when the ignition is on.

Voltage whilst cranking shouldn't drop below 10V, even in cold weather.

Voltage when the engine is running should be 13.5-14.5V. The alternator regulates the charge voltage irrespective of engine revolutions but does have some range in it's ability to do that.

First step is fully charge your battery. Even a knackered battery should at least give you 1 proper start. Second step is a visual inspection of the cables and spade connectors and check the resistance - use a phone camera with the flash on or whatever and a multimeter.

If the battery and cabling is not the issue, the starter motor is almost guaranteed to be. The clicking suggests the starter motor is getting engaged but not cranking so, points to battery or the starter motor itself. It certainly wouldn't be the first 4.4 TDV8 to need a new starter, that's for sure! 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Last edited by garyRR on 22nd Aug 2022 12:22pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #640485 22nd Aug 2022 11:10am
MartinD

I'm thinking at this point it's the battery.

Unlock car, get in, close door. Press ignition on then, foot on brake, press to start and nothing, ignition turns off.

Repeat and sometimes I get what sounds like the starter trying to engage but immediately stops and back to just 'acc' position as it were.

Have tried the wiper 'trick' but makes no difference. If only it was to access and whack it with a hammer like the good old days. 2011 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE - 'Black Betty'
Audi..Mini..BMW..

Post #640492 22nd Aug 2022 12:16pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

if your symptom is a slight click sound, and the screen immediately shutting down, and its intermittent... i had exactly same issue. i changed the starter, twice, and it was still there. although less infrequent. even tried dismantling and cleaning old starter motor to find out the issue. it turned out in my, and a few others' similar stories, that the STARTER MOTOR TRIGGER CABLE FROM THE STARTER RELAY (in engine fusebox) TO THE STARTER MOTOR, goes high resistance. and any slight surge of current that tries to go through that high resistance, prompts a shut down of the screen, and thus ends the chance of starting. sometimes the fault is more prominent in hot engine, or repeat starts, others its cold starts. the solution, was a simple 'parallel wire' modification, basically a 1 metre length of similar sized cable, routed from the starter motor relay, out of the fusebox, run direct to starter, trigger terminal, soldered at each end, and it went away. cost, about a £1, and about 30 mins to DIY. read the back story here, and the solution, kindly posted by 'SHAUN' is what i used, and problem gone! (solution on page 6)
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic31909-75.html

Post #640493 22nd Aug 2022 12:17pm
MartinD

I'll maybe try that, just need to find a supplier for the cable.

My problem isn't intermittent though, it seems to be permanent as of this morning as nothing else I try will make it work.

It's a total pain as I was out in the car yesterday without even a whiff of problems. 2011 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE - 'Black Betty'
Audi..Mini..BMW..

Post #640495 22nd Aug 2022 12:37pm
MartinD

Have decided I need the car sooner that I can get under it..

hoping home start recovery can bodge me a temporary fix. Will soon find out! 2011 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE - 'Black Betty'
Audi..Mini..BMW..

Post #640519 22nd Aug 2022 4:05pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Got the battery on a smart charger to see? 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #640520 22nd Aug 2022 4:17pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

MartinD wrote:
I'll maybe try that, just need to find a supplier for the cable.

My problem isn't intermittent though, it seems to be permanent as of this morning as nothing else I try will make it work.

It's a total pain as I was out in the car yesterday without even a whiff of problems.

Halfords do small reels of cable, in the nick-naks racks, maybe in the audio area. when mine was playing up, i sort of had a rehearsed scenario, where i would sort of say a little prayer, or, go get a coffee, and then it was ok. but then, it let me down, and took at least an hour off, and then once it was about three hours, stuck in a petrol station... I was losing faith, and didn't want to commit to thing like paid parking, in case it couldn't be moved on etc. thats when i came to the forum, and started reading. the garages often change out the starter, and it goes away, as possibly the 'draw' is less on a rest motor.... but, it comes back, probably the day after the warranty on the starter goes. so, basically i ran a temporary length of earthing wire, (from a diy shop) it fixed the problem, I then addressed it neater, with a more flexible length of finer stranded 'normal' wire. same, if not slightly thicker gauge... a small drill hole in fusebox, a few cable ties, and that was it. GONE! you simply add a parallel wire, and the original is untouched, and no messing about with looms, and diagrams. just a parallel fixed connection, which could be removed, if ever any 'warranty type' doubts.

Post #640524 22nd Aug 2022 4:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>