Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Roof Racks: Fit a Front Runner without drilling?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Siftah

Spain 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Roof Racks: Fit a Front Runner without drilling?

Having perused past postings and pontificated patiently, I'm wondering if the hive mind has any ideas...

I'm liking the idea of fitting a nice big roofrack to cover most of the roof, with the intention of putting a couple of solar panels for camping and some other stuff up there.

The FrontRunner racks look perfect, just enough of a "lip" that they'll hide the solar panels from the ground and keep everything discreet.

But my problem is they don't make a specific fitting kit and seem to need *drilling* of the roof to fit - this really puts me off!

I already have these roof bars/rails:

There's also a nice rack *snigger* from LandRoverPassion which has a fitting kit, but it's not got quite the ideal load space I want for mounting the solar panels tbh.

So, the question is;

Has anyone fitted the FrontRunner rack without drilling the roof? Could I use my existing rails with the FrontRunner rack and if so, any pointers?

Thanks as ever Smile

Links;
https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/es/b...k-kit.html
https://www.landroverpassion.com/en/produc...over-l322/

Post #653086 9th Jan 2023 6:46pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Do you have the Frontrunner roof rails? I have a FR 'WindCheetah' rack that I was thinking of adapting to fit, the feet have height adjustment and the FR roof rails just bolt on to the existing roof studs - some drilling of the roof rails may be required as the ones I have are for a Discovery 3. I also have a Hannibal self-supporting awning adapted to fit the FR rack, which is handy for shade or shelter.

I've got the same roof rails & cross bars, they're OK for a roof bag but with the boot full of dogs, I need a bit more usable space up top.

I need to get my tape measure out I think!

Post #653093 9th Jan 2023 7:12pm
Siftah

At the moment, I just have what's pictured above - the roof rails and two cross bars which I got from LRParts.net (ie: not the FrontRunner items).

You're saying the front runner roof rails bolt into the existing studs, which is what I originally expected to be the case (Front Runners own site seems to say otherwise and even a couple of retailers I've asked, also say you need to drill the roof...)

So confusing Rolling with laughter

Drilling the FrontRunner rails to mount on the existing RR roof studs I can totally cope with, I just don't want to have to make any more holes in the car than are completely factory standard - lets face it, there's enough ways water can get in without adding additional holes haha Smile

Post #653110 9th Jan 2023 8:53pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

It was a few years ago but I think the FR roof rails had to be purchased separately - they're also 'flat' so if I go ahead, I'll need to roll them to the roof profile to prevent any excessive stress trying to pull the studs out of the roof....

ETA - this is the roof rails, or track as they call it.
https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/u...0mm-l.html

The feet are these
https://www.blackdownoffroad.co.uk/product...40mm-50mm/

Post #653111 9th Jan 2023 9:08pm
Siftah

Hmm, those feet look very much like they'd fit the "track"/rails I already have.

There's also this variant (which actually mentions L322), looks like it'd also probably fit into the existing rails: https://www.blackdownoffroad.co.uk/product...oot-set-2/

I think maybe I'll take a punt and buy the feet, see if they fit (or can be made to fit) and then get the rack after!

Post #653115 9th Jan 2023 9:41pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

I'm not sure if they'll fit the rails you already have, the FR track is basically an inverted 'T' slot that will take a M8 bolt head or the bar with two studs attached as supplied with the feet I linked.
The roof rails & cross bars you have are the same as the ones I have, they won't hold the feet securely IMO.

It's possible you could mount the feet directly onto the roof studs but you'd need to check the centres align with the 'T' slots that the feet attach to on the rack itself.

The FR rails are also a much lower profile, I'm not altogether happy with the look of the cross bar rails, so I think the FR ones would be less obtrusive when the rack isn't fitted - anyway, like I said, the first step for me is to get the tape measure out!

Post #653116 9th Jan 2023 9:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1