Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Sunroof replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Cappo

2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black
Sunroof replacement

The sunroof on my 2010 L322 shattered just after Xmas, rather weirdly this happened immediately after I had the front jacked up to replace the brake pads. It's not as if (a) the sunroof is bonded to the body or (b) the car hasn't been jacked up dozens of times before. Anyway.....

I contacted my insurers ref replacement, and although I'm covered for the roof, there are none in stock anywhere in the country and the part is on back order with JLR. I've been on to JLR Customer Services and apparently there is no information available on when they will be made again (if ever).

So, having been without th3e car for a month already, I've had to resort to buying a used one, which of course the windscreen company won't fit. I've bought one from Gentlemen of Salvage, and chatted to them on the phone first. They were selling the complete sunroof with cartridge, so that's what I have purchased.

In terms of fitting, the guy at GoS recommended replacing the entire cartridge. He said that taking the roof panel out of this cartridge and fitting to mine could lead to problems with the roof sealing? Of course the flip side is that to replace the complete cartridge you have to drop the headlining (which, according the the manual excerpt I've seen, involves removing the clamp plate (from the outside/top) for which you'd have to remove the glass first anyway, I think?) and the chances not breaking clips, of the headlining going back OK and not squeaking afterwards etc, are probably low. Also, the blind may not match; another piece to swap.

I'm hoping that someone here will have tackled something similar and can shed some light? In particular can I "just" swap the glass and will that be successful and seal (after doing the reset process)?

TIA. 5.0 S/C Autobiography
Defender 3.9i Auto, Aston Martin DB9, Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo Plus and seven, no eight, bikes!

Previously:

4.4 AJ V8 Vogue, RRC, 4.6 VSE P38, Disco V8, SIII V8 - there's a theme here! Plus multiple others, some of which were also V8s!

Post #654902 27th Jan 2023 6:35pm
Cappo

2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Just checking whether the weekday crew have any input for this? Smile 5.0 S/C Autobiography
Defender 3.9i Auto, Aston Martin DB9, Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo Plus and seven, no eight, bikes!

Previously:

4.4 AJ V8 Vogue, RRC, 4.6 VSE P38, Disco V8, SIII V8 - there's a theme here! Plus multiple others, some of which were also V8s!

Post #655139 30th Jan 2023 3:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1