Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Seat swap issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
flynn888

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black
Seat swap issues

Hello all my name is Flynn I'm new here, I've just purchased a 2009 (5Cool RR the interior is a little tatty, looks someone has had a go at recolouring the ivory interior at some point and the drivers seat looked awful.

I found a full set of black seats, door cards and centre console arm rest for a decent price on eBay, drove a 5hr round trip to pick them up and started to fit them.

everything went in no issue at all until I got yo the drivers seat, I plugged the connectors in under the seat base and I have no movement from any of the switches ( I should add that the passengers seat is working fine). I checked for power at the car side connector and its good. its then that noticed that the wires on my seat base look different to the wires on the new seat?

is it going to be easier for me to try the rewire the connectors if possible or to strip the leather off the new seat and fit it to my old seat frame?

any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated thanks in advance,

Flynn.

edit - I'll grab some images when I get to work this morning.

Post #669757 25th Jul 2023 8:52am
vs322

Greece 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the FF!

I can't be much help with the wiring but I recently had my interior redone and although I had sourced two identical front seats, I opted to have the leathers and foams swapped, instead of the whole seats.

This kind of issues was exactly what I was looking to avoid. I'd entrust this job to a professional though. You're lucky you'll only need half the work I paid for Thumbs Up

Post #669798 25th Jul 2023 5:33pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Hi Flynn,

Assuming you've tried this already but try cycling the ignition, as the seat ECUs are designed to go into protection mode if they detect an issue. Also try disconnecting the battery for 2 minutes then reconnect.

I think the issue may relate to the seat ECUs, which went through numerous redesigns during the L322 life, and it will be different again if the donor seats have seat heating/cooling and the old ones heated only (or vice versa).

It doesn't take too long to just swap the cushions and leather, and you only need to do that on the front seats, so this is what I'd probably do, then you know everything will work. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #669800 25th Jul 2023 5:47pm
flynn888

vs322 wrote:
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the FF!

I can't be much help with the wiring but I recently had my interior redone and although I had sourced two identical front seats, I opted to have the leathers and foams swapped, instead of the whole seats.

This kind of issues was exactly what I was looking to avoid. I'd entrust this job to a professional though. You're lucky you'll only need half the work I paid for Thumbs Up

Thank you for the welcome.

I went ahead an just switched the leather covers and foam from the replacement seat onto the frame of my original seat. To be honest it wasn’t too bad of a job. I plan on switching over the seat bases from drivers to passengers side as the drivers has a small split.

I’m so glad I did the job it’s transformed the interior.

Post #669824 26th Jul 2023 10:02am
flynn888

garyRR wrote:
Hi Flynn,

Assuming you've tried this already but try cycling the ignition, as the seat ECUs are designed to go into protection mode if they detect an issue. Also try disconnecting the battery for 2 minutes then reconnect.

I think the issue may relate to the seat ECUs, which went through numerous redesigns during the L322 life, and it will be different again if the donor seats have seat heating/cooling and the old ones heated only (or vice versa).

It doesn't take too long to just swap the cushions and leather, and you only need to do that on the front seats, so this is what I'd probably do, then you know everything will work.

Morning, I called the breaker and the seats thya I picked up came from a 2010 model and mine is 2009 I was missing the under seat control module and an extra plug.

I opted for the leather swap over, I’m glad I did when stripping down the replacement from the breaker I found a crack in the seat base on one of the welds. It broke when o was manhandling the frame. Was a pretty straight forward job to be fair.

Now all ive got to do is switch the passenger and drivers seat bases, but that’s a job for another day lol

Post #669826 26th Jul 2023 10:06am
vs322

Greece 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Good you can tackle the job yourself. While I'm pretty handy with a spanner, interior and trims are outside of my comfort zone. While doing the seat cushions swap, you can switch passenger's with driver's and have fresh bolsters on the outside. Thumbs Up

Post #669836 26th Jul 2023 11:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1