Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > front knuckle cracking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 39 <123 ... 91011 ... 373839>
Print this entire topic · 
seatosky

United States 

Hey any updates on the cases people have open?

I'm looking to buy and had shortlisted two 2015 models, now I'm thinking I need to go up to 2016 to be safe.

Post #624380 21st Feb 2022 10:26pm
Ragingrover

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Nara Bronze

I got mine settled with JLR after some wrangling, I need to update on here on the whole saga.

For you, check the VIN numbers, if your outside then it's not an issue, thats one thing that JLR let slip to be true.

Post #624395 22nd Feb 2022 9:11am
seatosky

United States 

Thanks for update, and look forward to the full details.

Im looking at purchasing a model right now with VIN in the "bad" range. The proactive fix is to replace the knuckle with a 2016+ knuckle?

Post #624461 23rd Feb 2022 5:13am
Ragingrover

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Nara Bronze

You're only "safe" option is as you suggest, replace the knuckles. The new replacements are identical but don't appear to fail, so it's down to manufacturer, metalergy, QA, etc. They are not that expensive nor not that much of a drama to change (by some standards anyway!)

Post #624465 23rd Feb 2022 8:35am
154JON

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Santorini Black

If anyone else has the front knuckle fail report it to the DVSA but do not give them any parts as i gave mine to them and i have got to say in my case it seems it was a waste of time, you might need them to prove your claim to Landrover if you try and make a claim.

Post #626441 18th Mar 2022 4:51pm
Jon Byrne

United Kingdom 

Hi , I’ve basically just joined as I have a customer who has suffered the problem with his Range Rover.
I wanted to add my experience to this thread. I hope that’s ok.
I had a 2015 recovered to me with a reported suspension failure.
I examined it and found the hub carrier to have sheared off.
I noticed that there was a severe build up of corrosion in the area that the top ball joint is fastened into.
I had a suspicion that this was not a one off fault and with a short internet search I found this thread.

The car was sent to a local dealership and they declined to repair the vehicle.
The reason is that there is no live campaign for this fault.
They say the reason why the suspension failed is because they believe the top ball joint/ wishbone was replaced at some time was removed and the bolt was then over tightened. I asked how they knew the upper wishbone was replaced, what evidence is there? He advised that they think it might have been replaced. So thinking it might have been replaced seems to be strong enough for Land Rover to walk away from this serious safety concern.

I have it back with me and I will arrange for an independent engineer’s report.

I was hoping that someone could advise how they got the matter resolved successfully.

Post #628212 9th Apr 2022 8:27pm
154JON

It took me 6 months to convince the Land Rover experience department that this failure was not wear and tear, originaly it was during covid last september and i think i was dealing with someone that was just tyring to fob me of but in the end i managed to get through to someone that understood i new what i was talking about, they never examined my 2015 L405 and they paid me just under £2000 for the repairs after the Knuckle failure but mine had full service history on there system and i had pictures and a receipt for all parts and Labour for repair.
I think it's the owners job to deal with Land rover expeience department and get any evidence they need to proove their case but it is worth it in the end.
Make sure you change the knuckles both sides and not just the side that has failed as i lost all confidence in mine and would not have put my faimily in it without having both sides done .

Post #628284 10th Apr 2022 5:57pm
154JON

I also meant to say that when you look at how many people have read this topic i wonder how many have had the problem and said nothing as it a huge number compaired to most topics.

Post #628285 10th Apr 2022 6:04pm
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

I've read it and followed it from the start in dis belief of how JLR are dealing with this issue. The potential of a failure like this is scary yet JLR seem reluctant to recall vehicles so affected. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #628289 10th Apr 2022 6:19pm
154JON

My full repair bill was just under £3000 which was for the knuckle,top and bottom arms and drive shaft on the side that failed as i wanted everything replaced that could have been put under stress and i also had the knuckle on the side that did not fail replaced and i provided the arms for the side thst did not fail .
Land rover paid for all the parts on the side that failed and the knuckle on the side that did not fail and i paid for the arms on the side that did not fail and all the labour which i thought was fair but the payment was a gesture of goodwill without admission of liability.

Post #628299 10th Apr 2022 7:16pm
Jon Byrne

United Kingdom 

Hi and thank you so much for the replies. I’m an independent mechanic but I really feel that my customer is getting a poor deal from Landrover. JLR. They said it had a new upper wishbone fitted and the bolt was overtightened, therefore they would not contribute to the cost of repairs and quoted on the high side of £3000 to put it right. That is only to fix one side .

I sent my customer a link to this forum, so he could read for himself that his case is not an isolated one.
I would like to see him get treated fairly. His vehicle has a full Land Rover service history. The last one only 5000 miles ago.
Although I can’t prove it, it is highly likely that one side of the clamping joint had already broken when it was being serviced. On my pictures you can see that one side had broken a long time before the other side eventually let go.

Click image to enlarge

Post #628308 10th Apr 2022 7:56pm
154JON

I did notice when i was dealing with my knuckle failure that the original factory fitted top wishbones seem to have 2 or 3 blue lines on them like the 2nd picture down on the first page of this topic.

Post #628318 10th Apr 2022 10:13pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

To save me looking through every post... Is there a list of affected VINs somewhere please?

Post #628319 11th Apr 2022 12:41am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

"Yes, your VIN falls within the range. It's from 195780 to 228236.

Kev" ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #628322 11th Apr 2022 7:27am
Jon Byrne

United Kingdom 

Could I please ask if anyone has reported this issue to Land Rover or DVSA/ DVLA and have a case reference, would you please share the case reference number as I’m reporting the issue today. I think it may strengthen my report if I had some other case references to back up this instance. DM if you prefer. Thanks. Jon.

Post #628323 11th Apr 2022 8:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 10 of 39 <123 ... 91011 ... 373839>