Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 6HP28 Possibly Juddering
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue
6HP28 Possibly Juddering

I’ve been trying to diagnose what I thought was a hesitation from the engine on my 5.0 L322, however the more I’m looking at it I cannot find anything wrong with the engine. It’s logging zero misfires of any kind and there’s nothing jumping out that would be causing any problems.

I drove the car home from London the night I collected it and didn’t notice anything until the last mile up the lane to the house on the up hill bit where the car is under load. I then felt what I thought was a hesitation and put it down to the timing being out slightly due to it needing the timing chains done.

However, since doing the timing chains the engine is silky smooth and is registering zero misfires or anything that could explain these symptoms.

The car is on 114,800 miles, the gearbox oil was replaced at 71k miles in 2015 so doing another oil change is next on my list of priorities. Especially since I’ve read about gearboxes juddering as I’m now wondering if this could possibly be my issue. I’m wondering about the bridge seal and the 4 round dowels that live above the valve block, the electrical sleeve and possibly the solenoids if anybody thinks it might be worth doing them.

I tried with my IID tool to monitor what the solenoids in the gearbox were doing but my IID tool just shows N/A when trying to read the status. I’ve sent Patrick at GAP an email in the hope he has an update available for it.

Here are some screenshots showing engine rpm v turbine speed in the gearbox at various points.

Cruise control on at 65mph. The turbine speed is a straight line whereas the engine appears to be hunting by approx 200rpm. This is visible on the rpm dial. The wiggle in the turbine speed was the adaptive cruise control detecting another car.

Cruise control at 80mph. Again. Stationary turbine speeds but varying engine rpm.

Wide open throttle, full acceleration. You can see the red engine RPM is smooth and linear whereas the turbine speed isn’t smooth.

This is 3rd and 4th gear during normal gentle acceleration with the hesitation/judder occurring.

This is climbing the fairly steep lane to the house in 2nd/3rd gear at 20mph where the hesitation/judder is at its most noticeable.

One thing that I did notice is that when cruising along the motorway (not using cruise control) if you lift your foot off the accelerator, then gently reapply the throttle, the revs seem to flare by approximately 200rpm.

Worryingly, this can be replicated every time you lift off and gently reapply the throttle.

I’m at the point where it’s really annoying me so I want to resolve this.

Has anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks,
David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #679359 3rd Dec 2023 7:31pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

I think the EDS2 solenoid current would be useful as an additional measurement (albeit at the cost of a reduction in sampling frequency) so that we can see what the torque converter lock-up clutch is being told to do (i.e. off, controlled slip or locked solid)

Phil

Post #679382 3rd Dec 2023 10:13pm
dhallworth

Thanks Phil,

I’d seen you mention this solenoid in one of your previous posts.

The IID tool only lists solenoids 1 through 6 and doesn’t have anything named along the lines of the EDS solenoid. All 6 of them also only show N/A when trying to log any data from them.

I’ve emailed GAP in the hope they might be able to assist.

Failing that, I’ve got a copy of SDD on an old laptop somewhere, with a bit of luck, that might be able to help get the readings needed.

Post #679384 3rd Dec 2023 10:31pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

At road speeds such as 65mph & 80mph you’d clearly expect the lock-up clutch to be fully engaged (i.e. locked solid) and therefore the engine and turbine speeds would be identical. As they aren’t, this would appear to be a LUC issue.

The engine flare when going off the throttle and then tipping back in again could simply be the LUC disengaging for overrun and then re-applying again for drive. Again, the solenoid 2 current would tell us if this was the case. I hope GAP can shed some light on the missing live solenoid data.

Phil

Post #679390 3rd Dec 2023 11:38pm
dhallworth

Thanks Phil, your input is massively appreciated. I’ve been chasing my tail thinking this was an engine fault after I’d done the timing chains and not getting anywhere with it.

Is there a particular drive style whilst mapping the rpm, turbine speed and solenoid 2 activity that would be beneficial? Would a motorway run on cruise control like the other graphs work or would a drive as it goes up through all the gears be better?

Post #679392 4th Dec 2023 12:03am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Gentle acceleration up through the gears would show the point at which the LUC is applied and then the transition from controlled slip mode to fully-engaged.

The example below is from a 6HP26 where you can see the controlled slip mode activated in 3rd gear and then full lock-up at the 4-5 upshift point. The LUC is fully locked in 5th and 6th gears.

A run at constant speed in top gear would also be useful to check if the engine speed wavers if the LUC is fully engaged.

Phil

Post #679395 4th Dec 2023 12:47am
dhallworth

My IID tool isn’t doing anything with the solenoids unfortunately despite changing the firmware as suggested by Patrick Sad

I dug out my old SDD laptop and have found the engine speed and turbine speed but cannot find a thing about the solenoids or torque converter lockup.

Loads of stuff about clutch fill times though.

2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather

Post #679478 4th Dec 2023 10:09pm
dhallworth

This is the whole list is what can be monitored from the Transmission ECU using SDD.

2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather

Post #679482 4th Dec 2023 10:26pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

That’s very disappointing. So it isn’t looking like we’ll get to the solution through diagnostics, and replacing the torque converter is obviously a big job. I just wondered if it might be worth replacing EDS2 first, on the off-chance that it’s a solenoid fault causing the issue, before resorting to major surgery?

I have a couple of used solenoids that I can send you to try, free of charge. A new bridge seal & the 4 jump tubes cost around £40, and you could reuse the fluid, so it shouldn’t be an expensive thing to try.

Alternatively, you should be able to source a new solenoid through JPAT or Sussex Autos (ZF part number 0501 214 958).

Do you think this might be worth a shot?

Phil

Post #679518 5th Dec 2023 11:44am
dhallworth

I was beginning to wonder the same thing if I’m honest.

Do you know if the solenoids would be the same as the ones in a 6HP26?

I replaced the full set in the gearbox on my 2007 4.2SC when the gear change was a bit jerky. After about 2-3000 miles the car lost drive and I mistakenly diagnosed it as the gearbox when it was in fact the transfer box so I’ve got a virtually new full set of solenoids here.

According to the history the oil in the gearbox was changed about 40k ago in 2015 so I’m thinking it might not be a bad idea to service it anyway. I bought a 20 litre drum from Smith and Allen when I did the gearbox swap on the last car so I might even have enough fresh oil anyway. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather

Post #679519 5th Dec 2023 11:50am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

The yellow cap & blue cap solenoids from the 6HP26 are the same parts used for the 6HP28, but the 6HP26 didn’t use the orange cap solenoids. The function of the orange cap solenoids is the same as the yellow cap (i.e. increasing pressure with increasing current), but the inlet and outlet ports are reversed, so they aren’t interchangeable.

6HP26 solenoids

6HP28 solenoids

Phil

Post #679520 5th Dec 2023 12:08pm
dhallworth

Thanks Phil, I didn’t remember seeing the orange cap ones which now makes sense!

I guess until I know for sure what’s going on inside the box there’s no point spending a lot on solenoids, etc. as it could still be the torque converter itself like you said above.

Mackie’s in Glasgow have just quoted me £207.15 + VAT per solenoid using the part number you gave.

Sussex Auto’s aren’t quoting much more then the price of 1 solenoid from Mackies for the entire kit.

Until I know for sure what’s going on though, it would be nice to keep the cost down so I’d be eternally grateful to be able to take you up on your offer of the used solenoids.

I’ve got around 7 or 8 litres of fluid here to top it back up so I’ll order up the seals today too.

Is it worth changing the blue and yellow solenoids with the nearly new blue and yellow solenoids I have whilst I’ve got the valve block out or is it a case of only change as little as you need to?

Post #679537 5th Dec 2023 3:10pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Although I can see why it would be tempting to change as many of the solenoids as possible while you’re at it, especially if you have much newer ones lying around, I’d be concerned that this may lead to further complications as all the pressure & time adaptions would initially change and the controller would be trying to adjust the shift times for all the clutches at once. If you possibly can, I would just try to stick with the single solenoid change (EDS2) so that we can immediately see if it has any effect.

If you want to send me a PM with your address, I’ll get the solenoids sent off to you. I have two (used) orange cap solenoids, so I’ll send you both and you can decide which one to try.

Phil

Post #679557 5th Dec 2023 7:19pm
pjw888

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

Hi guys,

Not much help here but I would add, I have used Mackies for my 4.4TDV8 transmission servicing as well as oil flushes to diffs and transfer box. The service and knowledge from David and the team is absolutely faultless. I live in Scotland and they really do have a terrific reputation, not only retail but trade as well. I wish I could help you more. Thanks

Post #679558 5th Dec 2023 7:37pm
dhallworth

Thanks Phil, PM incoming Smile

That makes perfect sense with not changing all of the solenoids. It makes perfect sense to change one thing at a time rather then potentially introducing faults.

It’s odd that this car drove perfectly when I collected it in London. I drove it 400 miles home to Glasgow and then on the last 250yds I noticed a tiny amount of judder.

It was parked up for 3 months whilst I changed the timing chains and rebuilt the Supercharger and the symptoms have slowly worsened.

On the drive home it was locked up properly in 6th, now it’s not locking up at all so hopefully it’s just this solenoid. Is there anything I can do to choose which or the two you’re sending is the better one to fit or is it just pick one and see what happens?

I’ve worked on a friends car that was in at Mackies for a gearbox rebuild many moons ago. They did a major service on it whilst the car was there inc plugs, timing belt, etc. When I serviced it for him I found mismatched plugs and bolts missing so I don’t share your experiences with them unfortunately.

The prices they are quoting are mental as well… all 4 of the rubber dowel seals that live above the valve block are under 3 quid inc VAT from Land Rover, they were all over 10 quid + VAT from Mackies. For a full set of gearbox solenoids for my car they are quoting £397 + VAT, Sussex Auto’s are quoting £243 + VAT. I like buying locally and supporting small businesses but those prices are way more than I’d be prepared to pay for the privilege.

Post #679560 5th Dec 2023 9:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>