Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Photos, Videos & Media > Snow up in the Highlands
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Barmybrummie

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black
Snow up in the Highlands

Seen this is in the sun, somebody's in the right car for the weather up there. Anybody on here by any chance?

Click image to enlarge

Post #681265 27th Dec 2023 7:45pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

no, but I wish I was! Love driving in the snow. My aunt used to own an isolated hotel up in the highlands near Ullapool and they were regularly 'visited' by dozens of drivers who had got stuck and were stranded for days on end.

Post #681281 28th Dec 2023 1:49am
Tdtj

Scotland 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

As much as they’re great cars for the snow. They’re not much use in a long queue of stranded drivers. Have to wait same as everyone else. Pictures on the news last night didn’t paint a pretty picture 2016 4.4 diesel

Post #681293 28th Dec 2023 9:38am
Dolphinboy

I used to drive in the lane which wasn't being used due to too much snow. and if it was single lane carriageway, I used to try and drive around the stationary ones. never had too much of a problem but acknowledge it isn't always possible.

Post #681306 28th Dec 2023 12:40pm
JCW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Sumatra Black

“I used to try and drive around the stationary ones”

…When I’ve done this in the past I endured verbal abuse & unfriendly hand gestures from those who were going nowhere - luckily we’ve not had any serious snow for years! Jonathan

2007 Defender 90 XS Hardtop

Post #681308 28th Dec 2023 1:10pm
Barmybrummie

I too love driving the fatty in the snow, it's just a breeze. But then I'm used to driving in worse snow than that when I've been delivering all over Scandinavia. One December a few years ago I had to drive to ornscoldvik 6 hours north of Stockholm in thick snow and ice and the temperature of minus 22. At the time I was in a van with just snow tyres fitted, must admit it got bit nervy a few times but the tyres worked very well indeed.

I know what you mean JCW, I have no idea why they should shout verbal abuse and give hands gestures just because we drive a range rover. There's been times when I've had other cars and been stuck and a range rover just breezed past me, I just smile and think fair play, you've got the right car for it. But now that range rover driver is me so I do the same as the rest of us, dolphin boy got the right idea.

Post #681327 28th Dec 2023 3:35pm
Dolphinboy

I drove down to St Anton in Austria in 2010 during the worst snow in UK for 10 years. Had to leave M4 at Reading which had ground to a halt and go cross country to Dover. Had a hoot. Once overtook 8 cars in a row at 50 mph down a long straight A road where they were all crawling along at 20 mph. There are even a few Sports among them. The car never put a foot wrong and cruised at 60 in the fast lane in Belgium in 6-10" of snow without a wiggle. We were one of only 200 cars or so who got through to St Anton. epic journey and gave me so much confidence in the Rangie. Only had the Wrangler M&S tyres on Shocked

Post #681341 28th Dec 2023 6:06pm
Barmybrummie

If you ever get the chance dolphin boy next time you are around Austria way in the winter. Fern pass is a great road to drive on right through the mountains, full of hair pin bends for about 30kms. It's great fun in a truck although by rights we are not allowed to use it unless we are delivering that way (Which we don't) but it's a lot quicker than going via Munich. We just write out a bogus CMR for a local transport company and tell plod that's where we are delivering to if we get stopped.
Not sure if you are aware, it's now a legal requirement to carry snow chains when in Austria with fines upto 5000 euros.

Post #681410 29th Dec 2023 4:45pm
Dutchgit

Germany 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I too love driving in snow ! Even riding my motorbike in the snow Laughing
Also drive lorries and was stuck in 2010 on the A14 for 14 hours due to the snow !

Got snow chains for the Fatty from a mate of mine as I don't want to buy a set in Switzerland when I'm refused to drive up to Nendaz without chains !

Post #681414 29th Dec 2023 5:21pm
Dolphinboy

Have had a proper set of chains for over 12 years. Never had to use them, even in thick snow, but keep them as the legal requirement. they weigh a ton!!

Post #681428 29th Dec 2023 7:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1