Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Hello to all - is this forum open to all ??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
D3Jon

United Kingdom 

£8K for a 2003 L322! Whistle Is this a wind up my Italian friend? Shocked Shocked I'm pretty sure it must be...

If it's not, then please don't even consider £8K for a 20 year old L322 (unless it's mint and previously driven by the Queen). So, walk away, that's just crazy money...... think more like 1/10th or just £800 (i.e. twice scrap value), which is about all a 'typical' 2003 L322 is worth these days. Apols in advance to those with 'mint' 2003 L322's, but most by now are MOT failures with rusty cills, subframes and long gone rear wheel arches. Not to mention goosed gearboxes and failed vanos units.

Have you looked at Facebook and seen what you can get for just £3K or £4K? Think along the lines of a 3.6 TDV8 of 2008 vintage. 1992 RR Classic 3.9 efi Vogue
===================
Both my fatties now gone...
Previous: 2011 L322 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE /// 2002 L322 4.4 V8 HSE /// 2009 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 XS /// 2004 Defender 90 TD5 /// 1993 110 V8 Snatch Landrover /// 2005 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE (Aus) /// 1990 110 Isuzu 3.9 County (Aus) /// 1976 Series III Trayback (Aus)

Post #683256 19th Jan 2024 9:13pm
Tommaso_in_UK

Italy 

mjdronfield wrote:
It full fat as it’s the full fat Range Rover, the big one, the original and best… no half measures. The Range Rover Sport will probably sit in the half fat area 🤣, or semi skimmed like milk… not “proper” milk… it’s a bit of a joke on the Range Rover models really.

Laughing Very Happy Laughing

mjdronfield wrote:
Yes, you have the trim levels correct. SE was rare and tended to go to Police etc, no leather and no sunroof etc…

Thank you.

mjdronfield wrote:
£8000 does seem a bit steep. Not looked on auto trader to get an idea of prices?
Yes I have. In fact the owner himself showed me other identical ones at half the price.

Looks like I should not even bother to invest £300 to have it inspected by Inchcape Land Rover ... ?

Post #683257 19th Jan 2024 9:21pm
Tommaso_in_UK

Italy 

D3Jon wrote:
... CUT ... please don't even consider £8K for a 20 year old L322

Thank you. I will seriously reconsider. However, this is with same specs etc:https://www.banburymotors.co.uk/vehicle/la...c900b22e71

D3Jon wrote:
Have you looked at Facebook and seen what you can get for just £3K or £4K? Think along the lines of a 3.6 TDV8 of 2008 vintage.
This last comment is very interesting. Please help me choose the most suitable model for me.

We will use this car almost exclusively for a school run: 6 miles across very muddy country roads, of which half a mile is off road, and as soon as it rains, it floods! It floods so bad that is the rain is heavy, normal cars take a 10 minutes detour. Only Landies and similar can wade it. Fuel economy is not paramount, so diesel is not necessarily a must. Way more important is buying the model that will grow in value most.

I am a fastidious perfectionist and, I know myself, this Range Rover too, will end up being fixed to perfection. So, my fear is that I will end up spending more.

All that said, please consider my budget: £8,000 (preferably less).

Which Range Rover?

Last edited by Tommaso_in_UK on 19th Jan 2024 9:48pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #683259 19th Jan 2024 9:38pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

The mileage you are doing would point to a petrol model rather than diesel. Diesels don't like frewuent short journeys. Better for you to look for a supercharged petrol.

A quick look at Autotrader seems to indicate up to 2006 for a supercharged on your budget. Needs some research. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #683260 19th Jan 2024 9:41pm
GP 225

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

At £8000 that needs to be absolutely perfect. Walk away. He’s trying to mug you off.

Post #683265 19th Jan 2024 10:54pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Tommaso.

Stick around on this forum, a just read it slowly for at least 6 months, don’t buy anything!

Slowly, you will gain knowledge, and begin to understand the marque, it takes time!

Then, when you have looked at several cars, start to ask forum members about them.

We all will be glad to help you avoid issues and problems, and advise what to look out for.

Be patient! Very Happy Thumbs Up “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #683266 19th Jan 2024 11:45pm
Tommaso_in_UK

Italy 

Thank you all, for your advice. I am glad to benefit from your experience and to listen to candid help. I'm also glad to find way more proactive members, here. it's helpful.

@ Gremlin500
Yes, you are right, I should be patient and, I am: I have no problem to wait.

@ All
Please, bear in mind that I always end up fixing everything on my cars, as I cannot stand imperfection. It's just how I am: OCD (my daughter says petrOLCD). Given this fact, I have an honest question (not rhetoric):

is it not cheaper to pay above market value, for a perfect car, rather than fixing to perfection, a car that was at market value.

Also, bear in mind that any car, not only Range Rover, will be inspected by RAC/AA or a dealer, before I buy it.

Since you are all more experienced than me (that's why I'm here), please talk me through maintenance and repairs, as I fear that even simple faults, may cost a lot on a Range Rover, hence better to buy the best.

Another point: which model will increase more in value? I was recommended the supercharger version.

And a final point: is there a chart of fuel averages for each model?

Again, thank you to all for your advice, please fire away, comment and advise me, considering my inclination to fix everything.

Post #683274 20th Jan 2024 12:44am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Tommaso_in_UK wrote:
mjdronfield wrote:
It full fat as it’s the full fat Range Rover, the big one, the original and best… no half measures. The Range Rover Sport will probably sit in the half fat area 🤣, or semi skimmed like milk… not “proper” milk… it’s a bit of a joke on the Range Rover models really.

Laughing Very Happy Laughing

mjdronfield wrote:
Yes, you have the trim levels correct. SE was rare and tended to go to Police etc, no leather and no sunroof etc…

Thank you.

mjdronfield wrote:
£8000 does seem a bit steep. Not looked on auto trader to get an idea of prices?
Yes I have. In fact the owner himself showed me other identical ones at half the price.

Looks like I should not even bother to invest £300 to have it inspected by Inchcape Land Rover ... ?

Based on my repeated experience with Inchcape - I wouldn’t let them inspect a cat, never mind a Range Rover ! 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #683275 20th Jan 2024 12:59am
Reggie

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

I'm no expert but if I were buying now I would save that £300 inspection cost and take my own list of things to check and look out for.

A list that's so easily created from all the great knowledge and advice on offer here.

The £300 can go towards the jobs folk here will advise you to do as soon as you've bought even the finest FFRR available (change all fluids for a start)

Or use it to buy your own OBD tool?

Probably safe to assume that a 'perfect' car at the top of your budget doesn't exist as even the very best could go wrong within moments of buying - hence so much advice about keeping a reserve pot just in case.

My RR came to me in the very best way possible, plus I have done everything advised here and I've still had to have things fixed along the way. As a member stated earlier, all these cars are mid-timers at best now so will need attention.

PetrolCD is such a good term! I imagine a LOT of us here can relate to that? Smile

Happy hunting, hoping you find the FFRR for you.

Post #683289 20th Jan 2024 9:11am
Tommaso_in_UK

Italy 

Update:

Following advice here, I have looked on Facebook Marketplace, and called off the purchase.

... one advertised in Scotland, with a long text to explain everything done that seems interesting, and a 4.4 diesel at £4,500 (the only one at that price) seems also very clean.

As far as value appreciation, is it the general consensus that:

1. petrol better than diesel
2. supercharger better than aspirated

??

Post #683316 20th Jan 2024 2:08pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Try Autotrader
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?ad...=relevance

And Car Gurus

https://www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/inventoryl...tity=d3427

You can filter these sites to your requirements and you get over priced/good deal notice for each car etc helps you build a picture of pricing rather than just using facebook.
Good Luck 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #683319 20th Jan 2024 2:58pm
Dutchgit

Germany 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Hi Tommaso and welcome to the forum from a member living in Germany.

I would recommend a SC petrol model too but very much not a diesel one. Diesels are great but 6 mile trips ?
They'll go wrong if they never warm up at all, the SC will warm up way quicker without using a pre heating system like a fuel burning heater.

The forum is very good I'll say!

Cheers, Ard

Post #683332 20th Jan 2024 4:37pm
Tommaso_in_UK

Italy 

Yes, I see your point re never warming up. In all my motorcars I always se the oil rating advised by the manufacturer but I try to go as low as possible on the initial winter number. If I can, usually 0

Which model has the best chance to appreciate in value?

Post #683333 20th Jan 2024 4:45pm
MPx

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Waitomo Grey

IMO we're not yet at the point where any L322 will appreciate in value - they all depreciate effectively to £0 or scrap value when too expensive to repair. Having said that, the first 4.4 BMW ones were the least reliable (mine was a complete nightmare) and for me the sweet spot for the L322 was the Jag engined 4.2SC with the 07MY facelift. That one I think will retain its value longest - although others prefer the last MY2010-2012 - but all will still rust and eventually be pretty much worthless unless "restored", typically for a huge uneconomic sum. Mike - MPx

2017 5.0 V8 Supercharged SVAutobigraphy Dynamic SVO Palette Grey (2021-...)
2012 5.0 V8 Supercharged Autoboigraphy Orkney Grey (2017-2021)
2007 4.2 V8 Supercharged Vogue SE Tonga Green (2012-2017)
2002 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonnatti Grey (2008-2012)

Post #683340 20th Jan 2024 5:40pm
Tommaso_in_UK

Italy 

Thank you to all, you have been really helpful, avoided a silly purchase and pointed me to better choices. I really appreciate the time and expertise that you all shared!

I will now post topic specific elsewhere on this forum!

Post #683346 20th Jan 2024 7:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>