Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 4.4tdv8 power steering pipe leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lukeybabes

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover SE TDV8 Santorini Black
4.4tdv8 power steering pipe leak

Having trouble locating a leak on my power steering. Think maybe the fitting at the rack for the high pressure but I cant really see where its coming from. Are they known to fail? thinking its common as i cant find one for sale ANYWHERE

Post #683561 22nd Jan 2024 6:23pm
Ramblin Man

England 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

I’ve inspected mine this weekend and you’re right they’re a pig to see. Mine’s sound with no leaks but I’ve got an MOT coming up as well as a long trip up to Scotland and my (very reliable & trustworthy) local mechanic told me it was corroded when it was in for PS fluid change 6 months back and I’ve been fretting about it ever since.

To get a view I removed the front bash plate and the under engine cover and squirmed about for an hour or so underneath; with the suspension raised to off road you can just about get under where you need to.

I found many of the plastic pipe retaining clips were either loose or broken including the main retaining stay on the steering box (drivers side) which secures the “u-bend” pressure flow line from the pump to the steering box. I managed to re-scecure everything with zip cable ties for the time being.

Both the flow and return pipes are a mix of steel and braided rubber hose. The two main areas vulnerable to corrosion are the steel pipe on the return just below the PS fluid reservoir and the “u-bend” steel section on the flow which is secured to the chassis with a plastic mount under the drivers side corner of the radiator.

I’ve highlighted these in red the pictures below. I was not able to see the segments highlighted in green.

The bottom line for me was that the corrosion was light in my view so I cleaned it up and smeared some engine oil on as a temporary measure to stop it worsening until I can have a better look in warmer weather ( I have to work outside).

I’m may investigate getting some bespoke braided lines made up but it will depend on being able to source compatible banjos….. I usually use Venhills for hydraulics although they mostly deal with motorcycles so I’ll have to see how that conversation goes.

Anyhow, hope this helps & good luck with the investigation. Here’s is the picture :

Click image to enlarge

P.S. The part numbers are LR022639 & SKU LR022636. LR ( Robin at Duckworths) tell me that LR022636 is out of stock for the foreseeable future. TDV8 4.4 2012

Post #683596 23rd Jan 2024 12:33am
Lukeybabes

Thanks for the info. But yeah even land rover don't have any so looks like I'm gonna have to take it off and go to a hydraulics place.

Post #683737 24th Jan 2024 12:59am
Lukeybabes

Click image to enlarge

Land Rover got the pipe in stock yesterday so went to grab one, took it all apart and fitted it today and it turns out it wasn’t even that pipe. It was the low pressure return that rubbed on the hose clamp for one of the boost pipes. Which I saw in another post about a power steering leak. So must be a common thing.

Click image to enlarge

Cut the old rubber hose off and used a new section of hose. Since it’s just a low pressure it will be fine

Post #684075 28th Jan 2024 2:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1