Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Want to tow RV... what am I missing here?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bruzer

United States 
Want to tow RV... what am I missing here?

I want to tow a ~6000 lbs RV with my 2010 L322 Supercharged. I have the tow bar installed (Land Rover P/N: 6H42-17K817-BA), but no towing trailer harness. I know I'll need to buy the towing trailer harness kit and a 11+" tow hitch, but what else do I need to check for and/or buy to be able to tow the RV?

Post #685491 12th Feb 2024 11:58pm
Fox889

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

6000 lbs is about 3 ton in English money, that’s a far bit for one of these? Not entirely sure about US regulations regarding the towing set up, just hope one of your brethren pops up with the answer.
Be interesting to see how she pulls. 2012 Orkney Grey Westminster 4.4TDV8 with Ivory interior.........nice!
BMW R1200GS
Alfa Romeo Giulietta
Just one Montesa now, 349 White Wonder
Austin A40 Farina MK2
1975 Morris Marina 1.8TC

Post #685511 13th Feb 2024 9:19am
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Late L322s already have the towing ECU, so any dedicated electrics kit will be plug and play.

In the UK we get ECS and PF Jones kits, both good quality, with the multiplug on that just plugs straight into the tow ECU (take the spare wheel out and you'll see it.

I believe in America you have a type of 7 pin trailer plug (but different to UK spec) JAE 560. EU spec is typically 13 pin which more and more UK vehicles are now fitted with.

I'm sure you can get a dedicated wiring kit from a trailer dealer or ebay for the L322 in North American Spec?

Regarding tow capacity, these vehicles are type approved to 3.5T / 7,700lbs, so you're all good. I tow 3T with my 4.4 TDV8 absolutely no trouble at all.

Otherwise nothing else needed to tow except the hitch and electrics. Only other difference I can think of (I had an imported American trailer once) is to make sure the RV has got a safety chain on it to hook around the towbar on the vehicle. In the UK, we're not allowed chains and have to use a breakaway cable that applies the trailer handbrake instead. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #685512 13th Feb 2024 9:43am
AndyRoo

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Fuji White

Hi, you say 6000lb RV, if that's going on a trailer the combined weight should not exceed 3500kg, or about 7,700lb, so the trailer you pulling it on should not exceed 1,700lb.

However, that said, law in US will likely be different, so check your RR handbook, it'll give you your max towing weight for your market and that is usually "braked rating", i.e. the trailer has brakes.

Also note, your car's now at least 12 years old, the chassis may not be able to cope with that if there significant correosion in the rear end chassis.

Andy Fuji White 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westmiinster

Post #685519 13th Feb 2024 10:20am
SamThomas

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Baltic Blue

garyRR wrote:
In the UK, we're not allowed chains and have to use a breakaway cable that applies the trailer handbrake instead.

Being a bit of a "belt & braces" guy I use a breaklaway cable attached to the towbar & chains - does this mean I should not use chains as well ?

Post #685535 13th Feb 2024 12:45pm
AndyRoo

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Fuji White

I must admit I didn't know you weren't supposed to use chains in the UK, I always have.

I've got them quite slack though, the idea being should the ball break the tether would activate the breakaway cable but it's only quite thin it's never going to take the weight of the trailer so the idea of the chains is that it stops a total loss.

Then again for heavy stuff I have a drop pin hitch as well as the ball. Fuji White 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westmiinster

Post #685541 13th Feb 2024 2:04pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

The point of the breakaway cable is to apply the handbrake to the trailer before snapping itself loose from the vehicle, so the trailer brings itself to a stop but not the vehicle, which is deemed dangerous.

American trailers are permitted different braking systems to the UK, so they have different hitches. You could consider the American legislation in the modern world. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #685542 13th Feb 2024 2:14pm
Dutchgit

Germany 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

The American braking system for trailers is electrically operated so not sure this forum is the best to ask as we (mostly I assume) have mechanically operated braking systems.

Post #685551 13th Feb 2024 5:12pm
wayneg

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

I am in Australia, possibly similar setup as the US?. I have wired up 2 vehicles that have had the UK harness and plug fitted in the factory or dealers here and both were wired up completely wrong for local wiring spec. My cars both had the trailer module and harness fitted, later cars have a gray plug by the spare wheel afaik. Biggest thing is the electric brakes, law over here, you need to run a feed from the light control module to your brake controller then another to the trailer plug in the rear. Also a big issue if your trailer has LED lights, you will get constant flashing as the car sends out test pulses. I made a shunt box with relays and load resistors that I can swap between cars.
We also require 2 load rated safety chains that would take the weight of the trailer in the event of hitch failure 2007 TDV8 VSE
2003 TD6 gone.
2002 P38a gone
1999 P38a gone
1997 p38a gone
1993 VSE gone
1992 VSE gone
1966 Series 2a with V8 conversion gone

Post #685592 14th Feb 2024 5:23am
Arch Stanton

England 2018 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

a pedantic point but Gary mentions attaching to breakaway cable to the tow bar, maybe a slip of the finger but the breakaway cable should be attached to a part of the car that isnt part off the towing assembly, so if the towing assembly fails away. and the trailer separates from the car, the breakaway cable doesn't remain attached to the bits that have also broken away (it wont then work). First time FFRR owner

Post #685608 14th Feb 2024 12:48pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Very true - although I know on my L322, the crossbeam is right against the underside of the body, so there is nowhere else to attach it, but on my L405, an extended breakaway will go around the crossbeam or bracket on the underside. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #685609 14th Feb 2024 12:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1