Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 2002-2006 Key into Flip Key
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green
2002-2006 Key into Flip Key

I know there have been several variations on this theme, but would like to gather some clear and concise details on what is involved.

For $40 one can buy all that is needed to have a flip key in your non-flip key car:

http://autokeys.us/product_details.php?cat...em_id=1555

The only thing one replaces is the key blade itself. Then you need to find a locksmith that can code the transponder - any that cut car keys "should" be able to do this for you.

The above isn't as concrete as I would like. But does anyone have anything to add or take away from that? I'm sure lots of people would like to move away from the 1996 BMW key! 

Post #74906 5th Aug 2011 1:45pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Let me know how you get on. I also would like to get rid of the old style key, particularly as I am unlucky enough to have a 2007 with the last of the old keys. Geoff

Post #74912 5th Aug 2011 2:24pm
Joe90

England 

Hmmm, I only got one key when I bought the car so is this a cheaper way of getting a second key as well, without going through LR ? If so just need to find a suitable locksmith in the Winchester area. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #74924 5th Aug 2011 4:06pm
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

The only problem with buying new keys from the USA ( as I found out to my cost) is that they operate at different frequencies. I bought a brand new, unused one off a seller and had it cut by Timpsons. I went through the pairing procedure several times, with no joy. Opened the doors manually no problem, but I couldn't get it to work electronically. It fitted the ignition barrel but wouldn't release the steering lock.
Can't remember the exact figures now as it's been so long ago, but the USA one operated at something like 433Mhz v my original 350Mhz UK key (Or the other way round). The seller offered to send me a UK one at a higher cost, but it wasn't much cheaper than the dealer. 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #75089 7th Aug 2011 8:04am
Stephen.125

2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

noddy wrote:
The only problem with buying new keys from the USA ( as I found out to my cost) is that they operate at different frequencies. I bought a brand new, unused one off a seller and had it cut by Timpsons. I went through the pairing procedure several times, with no joy. Opened the doors manually no problem, but I couldn't get it to work electronically. It fitted the ignition barrel but wouldn't release the steering lock.
Can't remember the exact figures now as it's been so long ago, but the USA one operated at something like 433Mhz v my original 350Mhz UK key (Or the other way round). The seller offered to send me a UK one at a higher cost, but it wasn't much cheaper than the dealer.

Thanks for that, Noddy. Weirdly if that frequency is right it's because of your lot's TETRA. massive power around 400-490MHz area for one of the beacon frequencies.

Still; at least it's (hopefully) doing some good. Especially if they up the bandwidth!

Post #75093 7th Aug 2011 9:30am
dan_uk_1984

You are correct - you have to order the right frequency.

In the UK we use 433
In the US they use 315
And some markets use IR

I've ordered the 433MHz key from them. God bless the pitiful US Dollar. $40 = less than £25!

The 2006 WSM states that the Pairing procedure is identical between the BMW key and the Flip key - that's a positive message. I will report back when the key arrives. 

Post #75106 7th Aug 2011 10:58am
JustinP

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Java Black

happymadison1978 wrote:

Thanks for that, Noddy. Weirdly if that frequency is right it's because of your lot's TETRA. massive power around 400-490MHz area for one of the beacon frequencies.

Still; at least it's (hopefully) doing some good. Especially if they up the bandwidth!

I'm currently working on TETRA handsets Thumbs Up 
Gone - Range Rover Supercharged 2006

Post #75117 7th Aug 2011 11:30am
Stryke

dan_uk_1984 wrote:
You are correct - you have to order the right frequency.

In the UK we use 433
In the US they use 315
And some markets use IR

I've ordered the 433MHz key from them. God bless the pitiful US Dollar. $40 = less than £25!

The 2006 WSM states that the Pairing procedure is identical between the BMW key and the Flip key - that's a positive message. I will report back when the key arrives.

Can you tell me where you found the pairing procedure?

Thanks.

Post #75128 7th Aug 2011 2:38pm
dan_uk_1984

The Workshop Manual:

Initialization Procedure

*Ensure the vehicle is unlocked and the driver and front passenger doors are closed.

*Install a key/remote handset in the ignition switch, then turn the ignition switch to position I and back to position 0 in less than 5 seconds to put the GEM into the initialization mode. Continue the procedure within 30 seconds of turning the ignition switch to position 0.

*Remove the key/remote handset from the ignition switch.

*Press and hold the unlock button for a maximum of 15 seconds. During this time, momentarily press the lock button three times within 10 seconds.

*Release both buttons.

*Successful initialization is indicated by the GEM locking then unlocking the vehicle. If this does not occur, repeat step D.

*Repeat steps D. and E. with all other remote handsets belonging to the vehicle (4 maximum). Begin the
initialization of each remote handset within 30 seconds of completing the previous initialization, or the GEM will
drop out of the initialization mode and the complete procedure will have to be started again. 

Post #75131 7th Aug 2011 3:12pm
pretlove

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

very intresting i think ill have to get one ...keep us posted please dan on how you get on "RANGEISM WILL NOT BE TOLERATED"
www.futuresecurityservices.co.uk
Pretlove says , '' I want my car back Sad "

Post #75138 7th Aug 2011 3:55pm
Stephen.125

2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

JustinP wrote:
happymadison1978 wrote:

I'm currently working on TETRA handsets Thumbs Up

Cool Thumbs Up

Post #75147 7th Aug 2011 4:24pm
Stryke

Thanks for that Dan.

How did you order?

The site doesn't calculate shipping and you can't pay via CC or PayPal?

Post #75171 7th Aug 2011 6:58pm
Rob2529

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

So the only thing needed is the new blade cut and the transponder coded? Where can the transponder be coded? I've got all the bits to change mine to long BMW key and a flip case to suite but this option looks a lot better so long as codeing the transponder doesn't cost a fortune! [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]
04, 4.4V8, Vogue Oslo Blue with LPG.
"You can sleep in your car, BUT you can't race your house!!!!"

If something can't be fixed with a hammer....... You have yourself an electrical fault!

Post #75173 7th Aug 2011 7:05pm
dan_uk_1984

The transponder is included as per the info on that website I think I will confirm in a few weeks when it arrives Very Happy

Then as you say, all you need is to get the key blade cut and the tranny programmed. A decent locksmith should have the ability to do both... 

Post #75188 7th Aug 2011 7:34pm
Stryke

Dan,

How did you make the purchase on the site?

Thanks.

Post #75206 7th Aug 2011 11:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>