Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Dash lights very dim and LED lights dim in roof
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Simes

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

Rob2529 wrote:
I have LEDs in my main bulbs through out the car and have no problems. I do however have a blown bulb/LED in the dash binnacle. where the milage is doesn't illuminate. Will try and get a pic later to see if its any help to Simms.

Hi, I think that the mileage and message centre is lit by bulbs. They work correctly in mine - it's the LEDs that lint the clocks, the analogue clock, the switches and the door handles etc etc that are very very dim Sad

Post #78257 30th Aug 2011 12:27pm
Simes

dan_uk_1984 wrote:
How bizarre. The lights in the binnacle are LED's and are not "user replaceable" however some have upgraded them to white LED's so it must be possible...

In this instance there could be several points of failure (not limited to):
The binnacle itself.
The LCM (light control module)
The dimmer switch

I would consider getting cheap parts from a breaker to swap things out to see where the fault is.

How are your pixels in the message centre in the binnacle? If these are missing/bad I would send the binnacle off to have these repaired (£80-£120) and also ask them to test out the LED's, describing your issue. If it comes back and it does the same thing then you can look at the next option.

This is by no means a comprehensive list of what could be wrong though - it may be worth having a flick through the workshop manual, specifically the wiring diagrams to see what circuits are related and which could be causing issues.

If it's any help, I have a spare LCM if you'd like to test that. It's a mk4, I bought it when I was going to upgrade to the Auto Headlights.

Dan

Does anyone know if it's possible to program the relative brightnesses of the different circuits in the LCM via textbook?

Post #78266 30th Aug 2011 1:07pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

I believe not. 

Post #78269 30th Aug 2011 1:18pm
JonP

2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Epsom Green

I bought an lcm recently and the cost was £294 Inc of vat you then need this coded to the car using either t4 or autologic I managed this for free via my local Indy who let me use their auto logic
If you can try a known working unit before purchase to confirm this is your problem and don't buy second hand as they can't be recoded ask me how I know

Best of luck

Regards Jon

Post #78357 30th Aug 2011 9:09pm
dan_uk_1984

JonP wrote:
don't buy second hand as they can't be recoded ask me how I know

Not strictly true. There are certain tools out there that will enable the ID data to be re-written in the LCM module... 

Post #78360 30th Aug 2011 9:16pm
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

a second hand unit will work but will bring up a small black dot next to the mileage, this is to indicate that one of the modules that holds the current mileage has a different mileage recorded on it. as mentioned it is not possible to re-coded or i have not got my hands on the software as yet.. have you tried the thumb wheel on the dimmer to see if it makes any change. V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #78362 30th Aug 2011 9:25pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i reckon either one of the leds is shorting out or there's a bad earth causing the dim lights..

Post #78418 31st Aug 2011 8:51am
Simes

scarey wrote:
i reckon either one of the leds is shorting out or there's a bad earth causing the dim lights..

I think that's the right answer (IMHO). It's going into the dealers on Tuesday to see if they can sort it - at the sellers expense not mine!

Post #78425 31st Aug 2011 9:29am
johnson1

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Is there any way to increase the brightness of the 'Waterfall' illumination at night?

Post #78950 3rd Sep 2011 9:49am
dan_uk_1984

johnson1 wrote:
Is there any way to increase the brightness of the 'Waterfall' illumination at night?

It's designed to enable you and your passengers to see the controls - if you want more light, turn the interior light on... 

Post #78958 3rd Sep 2011 10:38am
Simes

Simes wrote:
scarey wrote:

I think that's the right answer (IMHO). It's going into the dealers on Tuesday to see if they can sort it - at the sellers expense not mine!

And after being in the dealers for a whole day - it's still at the dealers. They claim to have found a short on on of '15 wires coming from a connector" - my response that it shouldn't take long to fix then didn't seem to fall on fertile soil.

Place bets on me getting it back today...

Post #79677 7th Sep 2011 9:00am
Simes

Simes wrote:

And after being in the dealers for a whole day - it's still at the dealers. They claim to have found a short on on of '15 wires coming from a connector" - my response that it shouldn't take long to fix then didn't seem to fall on fertile soil.

Place bets on me getting it back today...

Not looking likely at the moment - they claim they've traced it to a wire that then splits into 15 at a header somewhere, but they don't know where or how to find it...

This is a pukka dealer... I'd have been better off doing it myself. Apparently the bill is already at £400 and they've not found the fault. If it was my money I wouldn't pay for them not managing to find the fault. Surely that's what they are supposed to be good at?

Post #79719 7th Sep 2011 3:41pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

its better for them to get a proper auto electrician in , these blokes do this kind of stuff all the time ..

Post #79721 7th Sep 2011 3:51pm
Simes

scarey wrote:
its better for them to get a proper auto electrician in , these blokes do this kind of stuff all the time ..

TBH I don't think they are that interested in a 54 plate Rangie. To them it's another old nail being fixed up. I wont be using them when I come to get it serviced.

Post #79722 7th Sep 2011 3:59pm
Simes

Simes wrote:
scarey wrote:

TBH I don't think they are that interested in a 54 plate Rangie. To them it's another old nail being fixed up. I wont be using them when I come to get it serviced.

Well - into day three now - apparently they didn't do much on it yesterday (despite me telling them it was urgent) as they range Land Rover and were waiting for a call back to find out where the header for this bunch of wires was. Land Rover didn't know (apparently) so they are still searching - despite me being told last night at 5:30 they'd found the problem. They haven't and have now said that when they do find the short it will be a new loom needed - quite why that can't just sort it out and put some tape around the frayed piece I don't know.

So - I am not entirely convinced I'll see it again today either. Not impressed with the dealer - they seem to know less about FFRRs than I do - Grrrrrrrrr. Evil or Very Mad Banging Head

Post #79829 8th Sep 2011 9:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>