Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Dash lights very dim and LED lights dim in roof
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Simes

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black
Dash lights very dim and LED lights dim in roof

Hello all,

New to the site and I've had a good look round and can't see an answer to this one posted before. Just bought a 2004 Vogue 4.4. All lovely, except that the speedo lights don't work properly - basically the speedo lights (and the LEDs near the main interior lamp in the roof at the front) are so dim that they are almost out. Turning up the dimmer brightens the lights on the steering wheel, the backlit for the OBC and the LEDs on the switches, but when it's up full the dash lights in the speedo etc go out completely, nip it back down a fraction and they come back on as bright as they go - I.e. You can only just see they are on if it's pitch dark out!

Based on the lights in the buttons on the steering wheel, it looks like the dimmer is working OK - so any thoughts gratefully accepted.

Regards

Simes.

Post #78213 30th Aug 2011 8:29am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

welcome simes..

didint think we had leds in the roof console, could these have been fitted by the previous owner and could be causing the light problem..if indeed they are leds , take them out and see if that makes a difference..

Post #78214 30th Aug 2011 8:38am
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

How bizarre. The lights in the binnacle are LED's and are not "user replaceable" however some have upgraded them to white LED's so it must be possible...

In this instance there could be several points of failure (not limited to):
The binnacle itself.
The LCM (light control module)
The dimmer switch

I would consider getting cheap parts from a breaker to swap things out to see where the fault is.

How are your pixels in the message centre in the binnacle? If these are missing/bad I would send the binnacle off to have these repaired (£80-£120) and also ask them to test out the LED's, describing your issue. If it comes back and it does the same thing then you can look at the next option.

This is by no means a comprehensive list of what could be wrong though - it may be worth having a flick through the workshop manual, specifically the wiring diagrams to see what circuits are related and which could be causing issues.

If it's any help, I have a spare LCM if you'd like to test that. It's a mk4, I bought it when I was going to upgrade to the Auto Headlights.

Dan 

Post #78215 30th Aug 2011 8:45am
Simes

scarey wrote:
welcome simes..

didint think we had leds in the roof console, could these have been fitted by the previous owner and could be causing the light problem..if indeed they are leds , take them out and see if that makes a difference..

I've had a look at them and they look original - and the book mentions that they are supposed to be there! Might be worth taking them out I suppose to see what happens...

Post #78216 30th Aug 2011 8:45am
dan_uk_1984

scarey wrote:
welcome simes..

There are LED's in the roof (front & rear) - this gives the "waterfall lighting" Next time its dark, put your hand up there and you will see the light. They are very directional so they don't distract the driver... One wouldnt usually even notice them.

They are linked with the LED's in the door handles and the door pockets I believe. 

Post #78217 30th Aug 2011 8:46am
Simes

dan_uk_1984 wrote:
How bizarre. The lights in the binnacle are LED's and are not "user replaceable" however some have upgraded them to white LED's so it must be possible...

In this instance there could be several points of failure (not limited to):
The binnacle itself.
The LCM (light control module)
The dimmer switch

I would consider getting cheap parts from a breaker to swap things out to see where the fault is.

How are your pixels in the message centre in the binnacle? If these are missing/bad I would send the binnacle off to have these repaired (£80-£120) and also ask them to test out the LED's, describing your issue. If it comes back and it does the same thing then you can look at the next option.

This is by no means a comprehensive list of what could be wrong though - it may be worth having a flick through the workshop manual, specifically the wiring diagrams to see what circuits are related and which could be causing issues.

If it's any help, I have a spare LCM if you'd like to test that. It's a mk4, I bought it when I was going to upgrade to the Auto Headlights.

Dan

Thanks for this Dan. The pixels are all good - that lights up and works perfectly! It's just the lighting - also none of the switches in the centre console light up - I guess they are supposed to, or are they lit by the light from the LEDs in the roof light - when they work too...

I was thinking LCM - I guess they are expensive?

Post #78218 30th Aug 2011 8:48am
Simes

dan_uk_1984 wrote:

They are linked with the LED's in the door handles and the door pockets I believe.

Neutral

They don't work either... No light in the pockets or door handles.

Post #78219 30th Aug 2011 8:50am
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

i stand corrected re the leds , looked like normal baynet type bulbs to me.....

Post #78220 30th Aug 2011 8:52am
Simes

scarey wrote:
i stand corrected re the leds , looked like normal baynet type bulbs to me.....

Apart from my normal pessimism regarding Land Rover faults, this is why I suspec the LCM - I reckon it's bulbs in the steering wheel - that are working perfectly - and everything else that is LED is not...

Post #78221 30th Aug 2011 8:56am
Rob2529

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

What and where are these "water fall" lights? I have the big light in the middle and 2 map lights? [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]
04, 4.4V8, Vogue Oslo Blue with LPG.
"You can sleep in your car, BUT you can't race your house!!!!"

If something can't be fixed with a hammer....... You have yourself an electrical fault!

Post #78233 30th Aug 2011 9:54am
dan_uk_1984

Have you ever picked up a brochure for the car?

"There's 'waterfall' lighting situated in the roof lining, to provide gentle background illumination during night driving and enabling both driver and passenger to operate controls safely without the distraction of bright overhead lighting."

Post #78237 30th Aug 2011 10:01am
Rob2529

Actually I haven't only the new My2011 which i no use to me. Laughing I never noticed those before. Knew there were holes but never noticed any lights in them. You live and learn. Going out to have a look at mine now to see if they work. [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]

If something can't be fixed with a hammer....... You have yourself an electrical fault!

Post #78238 30th Aug 2011 10:09am
Rob2529

Censored me they are there and they work! [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]

Post #78242 30th Aug 2011 10:34am
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

i assumed OP was on about the light below red circles in dans pic....

Last edited by stan on 30th Aug 2011 11:18am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #78244 30th Aug 2011 10:37am
Rob2529

I have LEDs in my main bulbs through out the car and have no problems. I do however have a blown bulb/LED in the dash binnacle. where the milage is doesn't illuminate. Will try and get a pic later to see if its any help to Simms. [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]

Post #78249 30th Aug 2011 11:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>