Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Almost time for winter tyres - yes i know its sunny!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jammyk

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Santorini Black
Almost time for winter tyres - yes i know its sunny!!

All, having been accustomed to my puma defender for the last 3 winters, I have started to do my research and thinking on my winter tyres for my V8SC.

Over the last three weeks the options I have been researching based on: cost, performance, longevity, looks (yeah I know Rolling Eyes ) noise and general driving capability have been as follows:

Pirelli Scorpion ST (OEM fitment) - not chosen as i have heard they arent too good in snow

Cooper Zeon LTZ - chosen Sheep

Verdestein Wintrac 4 Extreme - excellent choice for winter, need to get a summer set of rims or change the tyres back to summer tyres...

Continental cross contacts - high cost

I have today fitted the Cooper Zeon LTZ's - 275/45/R20

Cost: £699 fitted
Performance: on the 40 mile run back (sat at 'reasonable' Whistle cruising speeds) very stable. No tram-lining as i had on the 4 mismatched tyres that were on the vehicle

Longevity: time will tell but I expect better wear than the scorpions that i did have fitted

Looks: depends on what you like, I am taken by the rugged shoulder lugs and tread pattern

Noise: no noise change from my run to the tyre fitter - more wind noise from the wing mirrors than road noise!

Driving capability: too early to tell, but the series of fast sweepers on my way home, in the dry sunshine, were taken with gusto and the vehicle tracked round nicely without any noticeable understeer or drifting.

The best bit is that I don't have to run two sets of rims through the year, the LTZ's will now be on the vehicle come rain or shine. And before anyone comments - yes it does see mud, but always get valeted pos 'play time' Cool

Click image to enlarge

Post #78722 1st Sep 2011 5:21pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Just Love them Cooper tyres Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #78725 1st Sep 2011 5:24pm
47p2

Scotland 

Just bought a set of Wintrac Xtreme for my daughters car Thumbs Up

Post #78727 1st Sep 2011 5:29pm
bozmandb9

What model do you have Jammy? Your profile says 4.4, but in your post you said SC? And the side vents don't look like SC, hence my confusion!

I'm in Oxfordshire too, sounds like a good price for the tyres, was that from a local fitter or online? Why did you go for 275 45 rather than 255 50?

Cheers,

David Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #78728 1st Sep 2011 5:30pm
JOKER

Scotland 

275 x 45 have fun in the packed ice with those , Laughing Laughing Wink

Post #78736 1st Sep 2011 5:42pm
jammyk

bozmandb9 wrote:
What model do you have Jammy? Your profile says 4.4, but in your post you said SC? And the side vents don't look like SC, hence my confusion!

I'm in Oxfordshire too, sounds like a good price for the tyres, was that from a local fitter or online? Why did you go for 275 45 rather than 255 50?

Cheers,

David

Yes, its a 4.4 V8 supercharged. The previous owner liked his bling hence the chrome steps and optional chrome side vents, i believe they are still an option on the LR site. As for the wheel dimensions - thats what Cooper tyres have available. The rolling diameter is the same as the 255/50. The extra width is not noticeable - I have tried to show with the front on view.

The supplier was Silverline in Leamington Spa - call for a price Smile . They have been supplying me for a few years (Caterhams & my last Defender) Thumbs Up

Post #78757 1st Sep 2011 7:34pm
jammyk

MICK wrote:
275 x 45 have fun in the packed ice with those , Laughing Laughing Wink

there isnt much that will deflect a FFRR, momentum and a driver who doesnt know when to quit Twisted Evil

Post #78758 1st Sep 2011 7:37pm
ogy

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Ive run these tyres for 2 years and highly recommend them. The only down side I find is grip in the wet on tight corners (slight understeer sometimes) I would check with your insurance as I dont think they are speed rated for a supercharged. They could throw out a claim if you had a bump with them fitted.

Click image to enlarge
[/img]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #78760 1st Sep 2011 7:45pm
allycraven

Scotland 

jammyk wrote:

Yes, its a 4.4 V8 supercharged.

Sure you don't mean a 4.2 S/C?

If not, who supplied the aftermarket S/C kit for the 4.4 and how long have you been running it? I know Arden offer it, but the price is eyewatering to say the least. There was also a company in the states who offered an aftermarket conversion but they've been shutdown for a while now.

If it is really a 4.4, i know there are a few on this forum that would be VERY interested in hearing your experience of how the 4.4 handles a S/C and what sort of power/torque it puts out - me included!

Post #78766 1st Sep 2011 8:14pm
DaveAngel

2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Barolo Black

ogy wrote:
Ive run these tyres for 2 years and highly recommend them. The only down side I find is grip in the wet on tight corners (slight understeer sometimes) I would check with your insurance as I dont think they are speed rated for a supercharged. They could throw out a claim if you had a bump with them fitted.
Click image to enlarge
[/img]

Try over inflating at the front to kill understeer - its a trick i used to use on a number of cars, particually the wifes old SLK that was setup from stock like a pig.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  __________________
2015 FFRR SDV8
2011 FFRR TDV8 4.4 - Gone
2005 FFRR TDV6 - Gone

Post #78774 1st Sep 2011 8:56pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

jammyk wrote:
The rolling diameter is the same as the 255/50. The extra width is not noticeable - I have tried to show with the front on view.

he's right you know, bar 7mm difference...

Post #78798 2nd Sep 2011 8:08am
jammyk

[quote="ogy"]Ive run these tyres for 2 years and highly recommend them. The only down side I find is grip in the wet on tight corners (slight understeer sometimes) I would check with your insurance as I dont think they are speed rated for a supercharged. They could throw out a claim if you had a bump with them fitted.quote]

Just checked with Admiral (multicar) 'winter tyres' are not counted as a modification, although they very helpfully updated my policy with a 'note'. All seems fine Thumbs Up

Post #78810 2nd Sep 2011 9:26am
jammyk

allycraven wrote:
jammyk wrote:

Yes, its a 4.4 V8 supercharged.

Sure you don't mean a 4.2 S/C?

If not, who supplied the aftermarket S/C kit for the 4.4 and how long have you been running it? I know Arden offer it, but the price is eyewatering to say the least. There was also a company in the states who offered an aftermarket conversion but they've been shutdown for a while now.

If it is really a 4.4, i know there are a few on this forum that would be VERY interested in hearing your experience of how the 4.4 handles a S/C and what sort of power/torque it puts out - me included!

You're right you know! 4.2 it is, although the blurb from the Solihull slaes team states a 4.4 SC ;o) sig updated!! Whistle

Post #78812 2nd Sep 2011 9:28am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

4.2 V8 SC is very good Very Happy Thumbs Up

Post #78821 2nd Sep 2011 10:47am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

Gazellio wrote:
4.2 V8 SC is very good Very Happy Thumbs Up

frustrated droooool.... Sad