Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > TD6 - EGR, filter & breather change--clean air procedure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
DaveAngel

2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Barolo Black
TD6 - EGR, filter & breather change--clean air procedure

Following the help and advice from fullfatrr members, i thought I’d document this for anybody else who wants to give their Rangie the full air treatment. Mine is a 2005 L322 - later models may varie.

After the change, the engine sounded better, and was definatly more responsive. Before the change i reset the computer and on one journey achived ~23.5mpg with a mix of country lane and motorway work, after the change (and the same route home) i am getting closer to 27mpg doing the same journey. Pretty unscientific, but certainly a noticable improvement.

The kit:-
Replacement element - I’ve used a decent green cotton filter, but K&N are equally as good ~£70
http://www.brookwell.co.uk/item/7655/green...phe000040-

Breather ~£10
http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/breather-filter-llj500010-p-3163.html

EGR Blanking kit ~£40
http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/products/...w_m57_.php

Tube of Firegum ~£3
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...e=shopping

A screw and a bit of heat shrink.

Disclaimer:- Provided AS IS - I take no responsibility if you do this and cause damage, injury or neglect to tell your insurers.

1) Air Filter change.

You need to remove the plastic covers from the engine. Front piece first (there is an additional screw hidden down to the left of the front panel). The top left cover has capsulated screws. You will need to remove the filler cap, i would put it straight back on once the cowling is removed to make sure nothing falls into the engine.

Click image to enlarge

The Air filter is on the left hand side of the engine, running front to back. Mine was dirter than a weekend in Paris without the wife. Take this out, clean out the airbox, and drop in the new element. The element has a offset lug so only fits in one way.

2) Breather

This is a cheap little filter that needs to be changed to prevent damage to the turbo. Its located to the right of the air filter at the back of the engine below a sound proofing mat. You have to remove a plastic cover and two rubber gaskets.

Undo the screws holding down the wiring loom, you should be able to unscrew the three screws holding the breather cover in place without disconnecting the loom.

Replace the breather

Inside the cover you will find the filter, replace the o-ring at the same time with the o-ring from the kit.

Before replacing, change the gaskets supplied in the kit, these should still be in the retainers on the engine as below -

You can now replace the left hand sound proofing and engine cowling.

3) EGR Blanking kit.

The EGR recirculates exhaust gases to insure certain chemicals are burnt off before being expelled from the car. the use of this is questionable in a)diesels and b)countries with quality fuel. It appears more as a practice just to appease the Bill Oddie crowd, resulting in warmer (less dense) air, less o2 in the mix and crap being circulated in your engine.

Various kits are available online to blank off this valve. The one i chose completely blocks the exhaust and allows the intercooler air through. Some kits also have place to terminate the control valve (this may cause an engine warning light to illuminate on models newer than an 05.

The EGR valve is located at the front of the engine, you will see the (large) intake from the intercooler, the metal take off from the exhaust and a small control tube.

Click image to enlarge

The EGR is held on to the head with four bolts. You will first have to remove all the piping. A word of warning that my valve was full of exhaust gunge which far from an elixir of health is probably quite harmful. Protective clothing might be wise.

Removing the intercooler hose

My valve was jammed with exhaust tar

I cleaned out as much as I could being careful not to allow any gunk to get inside the engine (which could have been fairly fatal for it).

This photo shows the EGR removed and the blanking kit ready to be fitted.

Once the EGR was removed, i added a small amount of firegum to the blanking valve and attached the exhaust take off pipe. DO NOT GET THIS NEAR THE INLET. This is purley to help get a decent seal and not get any nasty gases in the engine bay, re-close the jubilee clip with retainer.
Click image to enlarge

Carefully bolt on the blanking kit and re-attach the intercooler hose and jubilee clip.
Click image to enlarge

You will now need to blank the control tube. I did this by inserting a screw down the tube

Adding some heat shrink..
Click image to enlarge

And cable tying out of the way..
Click image to enlarge

Make sure everything is secure and re-attach all the cowling. Start and check all is well.

Below is a photo of my MOST screen, i reset trip 1 on the way to my brothers to perform this operation, and trip 2 on the way back. Once i got home i took this photo..

One of the biggest changes is now I can hear the turbo spin down when take my foot off the throttle, a massive improvement.

Hope this helps anybody thinking of making the mod. __________________
2015 FFRR SDV8
2011 FFRR TDV8 4.4 - Gone
2005 FFRR TDV6 - Gone

Last edited by DaveAngel on 4th Sep 2011 10:35am. Edited 4 times in total

Post #79084 4th Sep 2011 12:21am
Joe90

England 

Great work Dave, scarey will probably give you a sticky for this. Very Happy .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #79086 4th Sep 2011 1:34am
GregP

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Adriatic Blue

Def worthy of a sticky!
I'm having this done on Friday so great timing!!
Thanks Thumbs Up FFRR TD6 HSE
Adriatic Blue with Parchment leather.

Post #79089 4th Sep 2011 5:30am
DaveAngel

2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Barolo Black

Thanks for the comments, good luck doing your own - there were a lot of people talking about adding a EGR blanking kit so i thought I’d give it the full treatment and write it up.

I can't tell if it’s the egr kit or the filter or the breather that’s made the big difference, but cumulatively its really noticeable.

Next is the intercooler and winter tyres __________________
2015 FFRR SDV8
2011 FFRR TDV8 4.4 - Gone
2005 FFRR TDV6 - Gone

Post #79096 4th Sep 2011 9:49am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

excellent 'how to' ...sticky'fied and link put on the wiki ...

Post #79102 4th Sep 2011 10:25am
arron

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

some thing worth thinking about when your doing your breather filter, it is advisable to replace the assembley as there is a valve inside which has been none to stick causing pressure in the engine aslo doing some serious damage to the turbo seals. the unit was changed in design on the later models so unless your sure yours is working i would definatly change it for the sake of 30 quid. good job though mate, very good walk through.

Post #79828 8th Sep 2011 9:42am
Jammer600

2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I've just bought my l322, any indications if its already done? I'm guesing not as mpg is pretty rubbish?

Post #181732 7th Apr 2013 6:23pm
zetjester

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Alveston Red

Thumbs Up

Thats a superb post, thanks

Bow down

Post #182318 11th Apr 2013 6:42am
mackempete

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

just finished doing exactly this to mine. Never had to use a step ladder to change an air filter before Laughing

Swapped the whole pcv assembly as mines done 87k. Better safe than sorry.

Been averaging 24mpg so far. Ill reset mine and see what the change is.

Post #182759 13th Apr 2013 3:59pm
MML

Mackempete, do you have news yet? MML

Post #183530 18th Apr 2013 12:53pm
zetjester

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Alveston Red

Replaced my EGR a couple of days ago, and although the pic is not the best you can see all the black sludge,nice!! Shocked
Changed the air filter to a K&N, pleasantly surprised at the difference it made and early indications show an extra 2-3 mpg (from computer figure) not done the full tank test yet.
Just the breather filter to do now, if I can ever retrieve the allen keys I dropped on the undertray lol Laughing

Last edited by zetjester on 25th Apr 2013 1:51pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #184590 25th Apr 2013 8:23am
Contraband

Scotland 

Thumbs Up Very good stuff. Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #184592 25th Apr 2013 8:41am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

I like that makes you want to get under the bonnet Thumbs Up

Post #184596 25th Apr 2013 8:47am
mackempete

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

MML wrote:
Mackempete, do you have news yet?

Nothing conclusive as the wife has had the car for the last couple of weeks. She has no concept of driving economically...

I did reset the mpg counter and then drove to work, and on to mams house. About 40 miles, over mixture of country roads and motorways and the displayed mpg was 33.

There is certainly a lot cleaner pick up from the engine and a noticeable improvement in acceleration.

Post #184698 25th Apr 2013 2:24pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

The PCV/oil breather has a new system which is a kind of fit for life unit as it relies on some swirl system to filter the oil out so no filter of pressure thing to block or break, well worth doing IMO.

Im hoping when mine is done with its new air filter, fuel filter, HP Fuel pump and cleaned out EGR and inlet manifold its much improved Smile Cant wait to get her back on the road even though its really now my dads FF Sad FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #184705 25th Apr 2013 3:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>