Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > LCS & CCF, does anyone else know what these are?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
BBS SPY

Cyprus 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black
LCS & CCF, does anyone else know what these are?

It's a bit of a leading question really, and i appreciate that many here may well not have a clue about them, (don't be afraid to say as much or vice versa) but to help raise interest in such technical matters on this site, i thought it might be a good idea to raise this question and hopefully start a thread regarding an element of interesting technical discussion in a general manner. At the least, anyone who does not know, might possibly learn about some very deep rooted and important aspects of their vehicles that make them what they are. Thumbs Up

So, has anyone ever heard of LCS (Land Rover Coding Scheme) and CCF (Car Configuration File) or know anything about it? 2003 4.4 HSE

Post #5224 28th Apr 2009 6:40pm
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

No, and by the fact that the steeler can't fix my FFRR neither have they. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #5225 28th Apr 2009 7:08pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Dixy wrote:
No, and by the fact that the steeler can't fix my FFRR neither have they.

That made me laugh!

No, also not heard of this. I take it this is a prelude to you telling us all about it then! Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #5227 28th Apr 2009 8:44pm
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

CCS was Alexis Corners band who did the cover version of Whole Lot Of Love the original Top Of The Pops theme music.
Do I get a lolipop Laughing 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #5235 28th Apr 2009 10:43pm
ken

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

BBS stop touting I know you will say you are not but you will you cant help yourself, No offence there are very few techies on here that will understand your business words unlike the other site.

Just pop over here and Chill its a nice place to be without the sniping and we would all love it to stay that way and it will Thumbs Up

Post #5236 29th Apr 2009 7:40am
BBS SPY

Quote:
I take it this is a prelude to you telling us all about it then!

well sharing what i know, Embarassed did not mean to sound pompous but being that they are quite significant, i wondered if anyone already knew owt already before i went all geeky on you Very Happy

Close axle but no cigar Shocked

It never ceases to amaze me how little your average dealer mechanic does not know or understand. They must head hunt at McDonalds. Rolling with laughter

LCS (applies more to Pre CAN bus vehicles, IE those fitted with BMW engines 4.4 V8 petrol & TD6)
Stolen, Borrowed or forced upon them from BMW, take your pick. But in Bavaria its known a ZCS Zentrum codier Schema or some other better spelt German equivalent of Central Coding/Configuration Scheme.

Basically, a set of 3 alpha numeric codes (GM, SA, VN) that can be broken down to describe and list each and every single feature & aspect of the entire technical detail of any given car and its unique configuration. The list of individual elements or parameters is really very long indeed and as well as the basics, Model, Engine type, LHD/RHD, Country, Gearbox type etc, the Scheme goes right down to nitty gritty such as what size wheels are fitted. There are also 3 additional Accessory codes (AGM, ASA, AVN) that are used to hold configuration that is more user selectable personalizations rather than construction oriented, EG lazy entry, speed locking, trip computer settings.
Decoding these codes has long been the holy grail of many BMW fans, we did it at the start and provide free software that will convert the six codes into their respective meanings, allow changes and then convert back to new codes or where codes can be made from scratch by just making all the right selections.

Heres a post on the MG Rover forum with pictures and listing by a guy who has been doing some work on the LCS of his Rover 75 which also uses a similar scheme we decoded.
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?p=2825472

The codes are stored in the Instrument pack and in the EWS 3D Immobilizer ECU of the Range Rover. if either ECU is replaced, the data from the other is automatically copied over, so it is never lost.

Given that the codes do not actually do or change anything themselves, a lot of people do not even know of their existence (including some dealer mechanics Thud ) and you may wonder why they are important at all.

However when the Dealers T4 equipment is plugged in, it reads these codes, decodes them and figures out what's fitted to the car and then offers only diagnostic choices for those items it figures are fitted.

So if a car has PDC retro fitted, but the LCS shows PDC as not fitted, the technician won't get a button to enter and program the PDC or diagnose PDC problems. What the more switched on ones do is change the configuration of the vehicle in the LCS, store that and then re start the session to get the additional diagnostic features and capability, the rest are the ones telling you " such things can't be done" Yawn

However not many retro fit things like PDC, but what about things like bigger wheels or a Tow bar.
When things like the PDC are coded / re coded, choices are made in the data used based upon factors derived from the LCS, believe it or not The PDC system needs to know if there might be a big lump of metal sticking 8 inches out the middle of the Vehicles rear end , and as you should well imagine, things like the Gearbox and engine management are also programmed differently depending on factors such as indicated wheel size.
I will leave things like the instrument pack to your own imagination, and hopefully you have found my scrawling interesting, educational, enlightening, informative, geeky. Delete as appropriate. Whistle

Sadly, i don't have the time just at the moment to also explain the CCF, Well i do have a job to do, but i will share what i know as soon as i have a minute. Thank heaven i am a programmer and so type fast Rolling with laughter

BTW, If you think that the LCS was interesting, the CCF will blow your mind, It swallows the entire LCS up as a single parameter and it does change the way the car works directly.

Warmest regards to all 2003 4.4 HSE

Post #5237 29th Apr 2009 8:09am
JOKER

Scotland 

Censored I read all that and no Punchline .................

What sort of jokes do you tell .......... Rolling with laughter

Post #5238 29th Apr 2009 8:44am
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

The trouble with answers is they leed to more questions. I understand old electris but this bus cable idea is a tad confusing. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #5239 29th Apr 2009 8:45am
JOKER

Scotland 

A bit like your Spelling ......... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Post #5240 29th Apr 2009 8:47am
BBS SPY

Quote:
BBS stop touting I know you will say you are not but you will you cant help yourself, No offence there are very few techies on here that will understand your business words unlike the other site.

No offence taken Ken, Thumbs Up
For the record i am not insulting anyones intelligence, I did quite clearly state who i am and what we do on the welcome thread.

I am not touting, (sorry you did say i would say that) but am of course very interested to know and learn of members interest levels in the technology of the Range Rover. I try not to pre judge the intelligence of others technical or otherwise.

I really do appreciate that very few would be able to imagine my motives to be anything other than money oriented. But then very few would turn down 100K + per year job offers and semi retire to Cyprus like i did 10 years ago because i realized that there is far more to life.

So as i said, i don't take offense, i remember what i used to be like, and i would have thought as much too.
But just so you know, my understanding and desire to discuss the technology of these vehicles is vastly more my interest than my profession.

So i guess I should just stick to sponsoring this site by buying the Sticker for my FFRR then, and since it seems whatever words i post are destined to always be viewed as "business words" with alternate motive. I may as well help myself best by not posting here at all and for damned sure i would not wish to make any ripples in this lovely pond Thumbs Up 2003 4.4 HSE

Post #5241 29th Apr 2009 8:57am
StevieH

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

BBS, don't take the huff, this is a good forum where we all like to help each other out. By your last post it looks as if you've got lots of info you could share with us and i for one am glad that you posted it even if i've not finished interpreting it yet! (Bit of a thicko)

So ignore the Censored taking and let us know what you know and we'll help out whenever we can...I've already benefited from the knowledge and generosity of several members so far and i've only had my beast for 4 months...so stick the dummy back in and join the fun.

Stevie

Post #5242 29th Apr 2009 9:08am
JOKER

Scotland 

Jeezo BBS, Although we are all not Techies , We enjoy a bit of rib - tickling now and again but we still take the time to read other members posting's all be it if they are information or innane bablings Rolling with laughter .

So don't take the Huff , or we might have to dive off your bottom lip .......... Thumbs Up

100k wouldn't get out my bed for that ......... Whistle

Cyprus ..... Even Birds fly upside down over Cyprus .....Coz there's Censored all worth Censored on .........

Post #5245 29th Apr 2009 9:40am
BBS SPY

well if you are all going to take the Censored out of me

Thats alright then Thumbs Up 2003 4.4 HSE

Post #5246 29th Apr 2009 9:43am
JOKER

Scotland 

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Bow down

Post #5247 29th Apr 2009 9:56am
BBS SPY

Gotcha Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Boy that was easy, like shooting fish in a barrel
Seriously do i sound like a prima donna type? Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

I did say that own and drive a Range Rover and i have also had my share of work done by the stealer, (I don't get my hands dirty these days unless i fall over). So it stands to reason, i am every bit as used used to criticism and having the Censored taken out of me as anyone can be. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I will get some sponsership sorted though before long as i am bound to eventually mention our products from time to time Yawn Yawn Yawn 2003 4.4 HSE

Post #5248 29th Apr 2009 10:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>