Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Miss fire
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue
Miss fire

Sorry not a scantily dressed young lady.

2 weeks ago on the motorway my 4.4 had a miss about 4 times over 30 or so miles. Took it to my indie who conected it to Autologic and downloaded the fault codes. Left ignition amplifier fault and right ignition amplifier fault. He reffered back to Autologic who said it is not a common fault and so it is probably something else. He cleaned the memory but decided it was beyond his compitence and reffered me to a franchised workshop. Dan kindly gave me this advice, Hi, I didnt want to clog the new member thread with a reply to your issue.... Have you or your garage checked the coil packs for oil? If the rocker cover gaskets leak they generally fill the spark plug holes up with oil, this leads to all sorts of problems, and if left will generally destroy coil packs.

You can check yourself - if the top of the engine is oily around the edges then this may be your problem. If it's bone dry and clean then you can discount this as your issue.

It is possible to check coil packs to see if they are working correctly (they are essentially quite simple - just two coils of wire inside)

See HERE although it's for an old style coil, the principle is the same.

The coils are so easy to change out you could do it yourself, you could buy some HERE and give it a go.... could save you hundreds.

Hope some of that is of use.

Dan

I checked but that did not seem to be the problem.

Saturday went out and the problem got worse including the car stalling whilst driving along, the steering is f heavy with no power, but would always restart when switched off compleetly.

Drove 50 miles yesterday morning to the steeler without missing a beet. Despite mil light on and log in the memory steeler can not find what is wrong.

Just thaught this may become a comon fault, will keep you informed. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #5255 29th Apr 2009 11:51am
Dixy

OK only able to report what my wife thinks they told her Confused
They are going to replace the thermostat and the temperature sensor ??

Oh yes and bill us £400 Crying or Very sad letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #5322 30th Apr 2009 7:53pm
Dixy

Collected this afternoon, the thermostat and temperature sensor have been replaced, seems to run OK. Would have been nice if they had reset the mil light but as the workshop is shut on a Saturday afternoon when I collected the car that could not be sorted. £230 to sort something that must have been incorsct from day 1.

Drove it back from steelers and it did put a grin on my face, they are a fabulouse bit of kit. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #5362 2nd May 2009 8:49pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

What's amaizing is that they still manage to put a grin on your face after you've just dished out a load of cash!!

Any idea's exactly which sensor they replaced?

If you had a stuck thermostat the engine would overheat or not warm up - it's a standard thermostat, just a spring/valve controlled by melting wax. I can't see how that could cause a misfire.

I can see how a faulty temp sensor can, to an extent. If the car detects the sensor as faulty it ignors it and uses default values, it can compare various sensors to see if another is giving legitimate readings like 70'C oil and 0'C coolant etc.

Hopefully your problem won't come back and you can put it down to weak/rich mixture causing the missfires.

It's worth picking up an OBD scanner from eBay or the like, I have a USB one that I stick in the laptop that gives all the readings from the various sensors etc. The main thing though is to be able to read the error codes, and clear them because sometimes they are just erronious. 

Post #5386 4th May 2009 11:07pm
Larry

England 2006 Range Rover SE Td6 Java Black

Had a similar problem with a previous car. The thermostat was FUBAR'd and the ECU was seeing temp figures that were out of parameters and adjusted the ignition etc to compensate, had some odd effects, but didn't call up a fault light for some reason.

£27 and a new thermostat later and all problems solved. I'll keep my fingers crossed Dixy.

Post #5390 5th May 2009 8:46am
Dixy

Big Cry Did I say this was the first Rangie not to go back to the garage on the back of a lorry Evil or Very Mad

It was obviously not the thermostat, fault code now says fault from fuel temperature sensor ?????????? Censored letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #5445 7th May 2009 5:51pm
Dixy

Apparently it is the fuel temperature sensor??? what difference dos the fuel temperature make? letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #5502 11th May 2009 5:37pm
Dixy

Got her back, runing OK but not billed which dos not inspire confidence. Most interesting fact is they have replaced the coil cappacitor, so close to Dans original diagnosis. I do hope its fixed. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #5582 15th May 2009 10:45am
dan_uk_1984

I would consider using a different garage, perhaps they are out of their depth? The reason why Range Rovers are expensive to maintain is because inexperienced garages & even dealers will just keep replacing things untill they find the problem.

Unfortunately this seems to be the approved method of fault diagnosis with most garages. I would rather pay an extra hours labour and have the faulty component diagnosed. Unfortunately there is no way to tell how good a garage is before you have used them.

Will they refund you for the other parts they needlessly replaced? 

Post #5583 15th May 2009 11:36am
Dixy

Running out of options, I live on the West Somerset coast. Purchased 4 of the Rangies and the TD5 county from the local Steeler. Dissalusioned with their workshop, tried local well established and respected indie. He accepted it was out of his depth and reffered me to next steeler who are old established and have a better reputation, but an hours drive away.
Interestingly when we had the P38 they opperated the same trial and error system and assured us when we baught the L322 that the OBD would pinpoint all faults easily Big Cry letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #5584 15th May 2009 2:49pm
dan_uk_1984

The OBD system in the P38 was just as complicated and thorough if not more so than the BMW system. I prefered the BECM in the P38 looking after everything, rather than the L322 having a different ECU for every component. It means you need a ton of stuff when you want to change/add something.

But the L322 just looks better (from a distance) although my P38 was far more reliable I wouldnt swap it for my L322. 

Post #5587 15th May 2009 3:52pm
Dixy

MIL back on Big Cry , but driving OK letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #5685 19th May 2009 6:52pm
Larry

Take the bulb out of the MIL! Very Happy Very Happy

Is it the same fault code? or have you developed a new (possibly unrelated) fault?

Post #5687 19th May 2009 7:00pm
Dixy

just going to stick duck tape over it Very Happy

Don't know yet, as I have not got an OBD yet and not been to the indie/ steeler. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #5689 19th May 2009 7:13pm
Larry

If desparate, get yourself off to Argos. They do a basic reader off the shelf for £60 (expensive for what it is, but better than spending that on a one off read at a garage). Mind you, if driving okay, not much of a hurry (unless it's using too much fuel).

Post #5690 19th May 2009 7:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1