Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Cycle racks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Larry

England 2006 Range Rover SE Td6 Java Black
Cycle racks

I have been looking (casually) for a cheap bike rack that would fit the RR, having never owned such a thing before, I don't really know what to look for.

I came to the conclusion that a roof rack mount would be unsuitable (not being 8 foot tall), and as I haven't got a tow bar fitted, so would the type that fitted to one.

Anyway, I took a punt on an el cheapo Halfords rack that would at least fit the missus' car if it didn't work on the Rangie. Halfords Value Rear Low Mount

The box states that it fits most cars. The instruction leaflet has some exceptions including Range Rovers. Apparently the hinges aren't strong enough! Anyway, I have attached it to the luggage area tie down loops, so the hinges don't factor at all anyway (if they can take the weight of two adults, I'm pretty sure they'll take a bike or two).

Strap mounted to tie downs. You can still open the top tailgate with this in place!

So for £34, I reckon this ain't bad. There is a small problem though, legally I'll need a trailer board as the number plate is obscured and the bike wheels cover the rear lights.

As I don't have the tow bar (and therefore no trailer electric socket), I need a way to either, rig up a trailer board or (better) have a set of repeater lights mounted high up on the tailgate window, with a simple number plate attached to the rear of the rack.

Can I just "splice" into the rear light feeds to have repeaters or will that affect the fault circuit? Or is there a multiplug anywhere to take the feed from?

Any ideas?

Post #5790 26th May 2009 3:21pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Aye, buy the right one you miserable C Censored T .............. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #5792 26th May 2009 3:29pm
Larry

I'm a Yorkshireman! We're like Scotsmen with the generosity removed! Very Happy Very Happy Whistle

Seriously, cycling is something I do once in a blue moon, and even rarer do i have the need to move the bike(s) on the car, so I'll be Censored if I'll pay much to do it (I did look for a link on the LR website to see how much an OEM one was, but couldn't find it).

Post #5793 26th May 2009 3:47pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I DO have the tow bar and once thought about mounting the bike rack on the back, but then I thought how nice my bike looks chained to the garage wall and decided it wasn't worth the hassle and just leave it there!

Man invented diesel for a reason. Not cycling. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #5794 26th May 2009 3:56pm
JOKER

Scotland 

If it is anything to do with LR Larry, it will be Big ££££££££££ Signs

Plus i already have a bike, my mates wife .................. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Post #5795 26th May 2009 4:02pm
Larry

MICK wrote:
If it is anything to do with LR Larry, it will be Big ££££££££££ Signs

Plus i already have a bike, my mates wife .................. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

That's the sort of cycling I prefer to do! I need to get fit and quite enjoy a ride in the countryside every now and again! Very Happy

Don't suppose anyone has a technical response in the mean time? Or even knows how much an LR bike carrier costs (or what it looks like)? . . and I'm sure it will be ££££'s and ££££'s! Bloody rob dogs! They should shop at Halfords! Whistle

Post #5796 26th May 2009 4:17pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

You can pick tow bars up relatively cheaply on ebay, I made the one for mine with a bit of box section and bits, you can then get a tow ball mounted jobby again from ebay or halfrauds.

I personally wouldn’t like anything touching the paintwork, the dust/dirt will just be ground against the paint taking the shine right off, and if you had grit there it would go right through the paint.

If you are you could get a local fabricator to make something up that slots into the square towbar hole and the bikes then sit on with a support coming up vertically:

Post #5797 26th May 2009 5:11pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Ninth picture down Larry

http://www.duckworthparts.co.uk/acatalog/Range_Rover_Towing.html

Post #5799 26th May 2009 5:56pm
Larry

That doesn't look very stable. Adds about 3 1/2' to the length as well. It is cheaper than I expected though (still expensive!).

Must admit, I hadn't thought about the effect on the paint. The top is basically resting against the number plate, and most of the bottom section rests mostly against the plastic running board on the top of the bumper, but there is some contact with the paint at the bottom of the tailgate.

I think I'm going to have to get a tow pack fitted (not just for the bikes), been putting it off until I really needed it. Was worried that if I had one, I might start wanting a caravan! Very Happy Very Happy

Post #5804 26th May 2009 8:31pm
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I've just bought a Thule 2 bike rack from Towequipe. It arrived last night and I'm going to have a go at fitting it today. Towbar mounted jobbie and was only £89.95. I bought the lock as well, just in case!

2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #16078 2nd Apr 2010 11:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1