Glideman

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Good luck David, let us know how it goes . . . . Range Rover 4.4 V8 Vogue

Post #100459 5th Jan 2012 8:48pm
rads

2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Tonga Green

Big Cry

No movement in headlamp.

Got a bit enthused about the possibility of it being "something" loose so stripped off the side grill, panel under side grill, mud flap and mudflap mounting bracket.

Removed the near side AR bar drop link.

Still knocking.

Need an injection of inspiration from somewhere, running near empty here!

David

Post #100479 6th Jan 2012 12:38am
Glideman

I went for an almost enjoyable drive in mine tonight, just turned the music up. No knocking! Thumbs Up Range Rover 4.4 V8 Vogue

Post #100480 6th Jan 2012 1:09am
rads

Front suspension thump - Update :-(

Not really much of an update, but do need some input, thoughts, suggestions.

Been with my local, well regarded indy for a couple of days.

They agree that there is a noise, but have been unable to diagnose.

Suggested possibly A/R bushes (need to change the complete bar on a SC).

The fitter on the job has said his best guess is a fault with the new nearside front strut.

I could be persuaded to agree. The knock was there, but much worse, before I changed the strut, so changing the strut did have an effect on the noise.

Island 4x4 have been pretty reasonable, but cannot supply a new strut to try on sale or return. Can only suggest I buy another strut, and return the first one if the new one turns out to fix the problem. They would then send the original back to their supplier for testing.

This sounds awfully like buying another £300 strut on spec. to me!

What would be really useful would be to find someone else with a similar spec vehicle who would let me whip of their strut to try (05-06 SC or anything 07 on, I think). Any takers? Smile

Anyone changed a strut recently (for a leaky airbag perhaps) and got a clonk free old one hanging around I could swap in temporarily to see if the noise changes.?

Any other bright ideas?

David

Post #101142 11th Jan 2012 12:39pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

david, your quote "The knock was there, but much worse, before I changed the strut, so changing the strut did have an effect on the noise." suggests that something that is bolted onto the strut is the culprit...

....or maybe not.. Mr. Green ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #101145 11th Jan 2012 1:22pm
rads

That's it!

It's the plastic clip for the ABS sensor!

Mr. Green

Only bit bolted to the strut I haven't changed!

David

Thumbs Up

Post #101146 11th Jan 2012 1:27pm
Glideman

That's the conclusion I keep coming back to David, I know I had no knock at all before changing my strut as if was changed due to a leaking air bag. I changed the strut & the knock was there on the test drive. I have checked my work over again but everything's fine as far as nuts & bolts being tight etc.

This is why I asked if anyone had put a Dunlop air strut on & it had worked. The only other thing I can think of is the suspension needs calibrating? I did an air strut on a Mercedes when working as a mechanic & that needed calibration.

I have my old suspension strut but it leaks & brings a "suspension inactive" warning. If you can think of a way to temporarily fix the hole just to check if it cures the knock I will gladly give it to you to try.

Colin Range Rover 4.4 V8 Vogue

Post #101309 12th Jan 2012 11:36am
47p2

Scotland 

Glideman wrote:
TIf you can think of a way to temporarily fix the hole just to check if it cures the knock I will gladly give it to you to try.

Colin

Puncture repair

Post #101312 12th Jan 2012 12:17pm
Joe90

England 

I have a passenger side functional strut that I took off when replacing mine from '02 spec HSE Diesel. No knocking noise either? Any good?

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic8312.html .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #101323 12th Jan 2012 1:38pm
rads

Joe and Colin,

Thanks for the replies.

There was a change in the design of struts, Ford era vehicles seem to have a different design to Jag era. Not sure if this means your struts would not fit, or whether it would be just spring rates etc that changed.

For this reason, I can't justify buying your strut Joe.

Colin, I bet a temporary patch of some sort could be stuck onto the airspring just to allow it to be driven round the block to check for noise. I've also got one good airbag here (on the original VERY noisy strut) so may be able to construct some kind of frankenspring from the pair.

Only problem is you seem to be miles away from me in Hertfordshire.

What we need is a member (or series of members!) to get the strut moved from Lancashire to the SE.

Anyone heading down this way? Smile

David

Post #101352 12th Jan 2012 3:52pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

If I remember rightly, the spring rates were changed for the S/C when it was released to give it stiffer handling characteristics.

I've only just watched Glideman's video ... never realised it was just so noticable like that. What springs to mind for me is that it almost sounds a bit like a loose wheel noise. I wouldn't have said its the same noise I get from loose bushes and ball joints. It also sort of sounds too heavy/dull to the ARB clunking ( but that could be the camera )

Is there any play at all in the wheel bearings / hub / driveshafts? ( wheel in air, push/pull the tyre at top and bottom )

Other things that spring to mind down there
- heatsheilds hitting the exhaust ( its tight down there )
- exhaust mounts rattling V8 or else ...

Post #101383 12th Jan 2012 6:21pm
Glideman

fisha, I've had the car to 3 different garages including the main dealer & nobody could find the knock. As an ex-mechanic I've also changed almost all the side that's making the noise & the wheel, the suspension strut, trailing arms front and rear, the four rear top & bottom hub bushes, both front drop links, brake pads etc . . . Range Rover 4.4 V8 Vogue

Post #101392 12th Jan 2012 7:07pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

all i'm saying is that the rattle/bump sound in your vid reminded me of when I had a wheel which was slightly loose due to the bolts loosening off one time. Which made me think that if all the arms, struts, bushes etc have been done ... it still leaves a possibility of the hub itself or wheel bearing having some play, allowing the wheel to move, causeing the sound. V8 or else ...

Post #101401 12th Jan 2012 7:25pm
oodathort

Noise (Clunk) from Front Suspension:
Jimmy Fang reports "I get an interesting sound coming from the front end suspension when making turns at low speeds. Sometimes it take hitting a bump to trigger the noise but not always. It’s happens mostly when slowing down to pull into a parking lot for instance. It’s been there since I’ve owned the vehicle but the dealership has never been able to fix it. They’ve heard it. They thought it was something to do with the power steering but turns out my truck is not in the VIN range for that problem so now they’re at a loss again. It has not affected the performance of the truck but after the differential problem, I’m just waiting for something terrible to happen. Also, oddly, the sound happens much more in wet weather than dry."

After about 40,000 miles and a lot of tightening of bolts, the dealer noticed some things weren’t wearing properly. So they replaced the following:Lower Control Arm, Lower Strut and Lower Ball Joint. These replacements apparently fixxed the problem.

Anir and Nathalie Dhir report (September 2004) "Like Jimmy Fang, we also have the intermittent clunking noise from the front suspension. The dealership has fixed this on several occasions by tightening up the sway bar bolts, but it always comes back. We do use the car off-road about every 2-3 weeks (mild use)."

Post #101479 13th Jan 2012 10:01am
rads

fisha,

Can't feel anything in the wheel bearing and the wheels nuts definitely tight. I had wondered if it could be something in the drive shaft, but there is no clonk on/off power, only with suspension movement so I think not. Have checked for exhaust clashes etc, but it's really not that sort of noise, much heavier, exhaust strikes have usually sounded a bit tinny in my experience.

ooda,
Thanks for the input. Arms, struts and ball joints all replaced. Sway (anti-roll) bar bolts checked and tight.

Colin,
Has your FF got sidesteps? I don't think that's the cause, but just another heavy bit of metal in about the right area!

David

Post #101498 13th Jan 2012 10:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>