Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Land Rover Experience in Dunkeld
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Land Rover Experience in Dunkeld

Well, I finally had my 1/2 day LRE day, and I have to say I left absolutely gobsmacked at how good our cars are!

Got to drive a 10 plate 4.4 TDV8, which was nice!

I was astonished by what I was shown by my lovely lady instructor and just how effortless the car took the most inhospitable terrain.

First thing we faced was an uphill slope consisting of loose gravel and a top surface of mud at about an angle of 35 degree which the car just took in its stride. I was told to stop 3/4 of the way up and with HDC engaged, let the car handle a reverse ascent back to the bottom.

I didn't realize how versatile and useful HDC is in many situations! Once you have that "leap of faith" and take your foot off the brake, it's a fantastic feature!

We then ventured through various up and down slopes, through water, and ruts.

There were some occasions where we were driving through some gulleys with a 30-35 degree slope on one side, and then the same on the opposite side further on. This made the car angle sideways just like driving round an inclined banking, both ways. Another person on the course said they watched in amazement as our car had a rear wheel 3 feet in the air. We didn't even realise this was happening in the car!

The most impressive thing was to approach a 45 degree hill and drive straight up to the top, where all you could see was the sky! Once the summit was reached, the car leveled out and straight down the other side!

The most amazing thing was the total lack of drama at any point and amazement at how much the electronics can handle just about anything!

Roll on the winter! Thumbs Up Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #89583 30th Oct 2011 10:32pm
CG-SC

2006 Range Rover Autobiography Supercharged Zambezi Silver

I'm due to go this Saturday - looking forward to it Very Happy Stolen / Gone: 2006MY Supercharged LPG Autobiography - Zambezi Silver with Sand/Jet/Jet Oxford Leather.....

Post #89613 31st Oct 2011 12:19am
CG-SC

2006 Range Rover Autobiography Supercharged Zambezi Silver

Had my half day experience today at Dunkeld in the FFRR (4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE) - really enjoyed it, amazed at exactly what these machines are capable of - we could not get it stuck no matter what was tried - was good to see the off road screen displaying the centre and rear diff lock / unlock.

All standard apart from a front skid plate, running on 19" Scorpions - he said that they deliberely keep road based tyres on them to show just how good they are - I have to say, after what I've seen today, I question the need for winter / off road spec tyres !!

My instructor does a lot of off roading in Defenders and said that the latest L322 with the electronic rear diff etc is actually slightly better off road than the Defender (in his opinion!)

I asked him what happens to the cars when they are finished with them - they are leased from Land Rover for 1 year and then get sold on as ex-demos Shocked Stolen / Gone: 2006MY Supercharged LPG Autobiography - Zambezi Silver with Sand/Jet/Jet Oxford Leather.....

Post #90544 5th Nov 2011 7:06pm
stu

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Orkney Grey

just while you are going on about HDC, the most amazing thing is if you go down a hill in Neutral with HDC engaged!!... Shocked

i know you wouldn't ever do this, but it is designed for emergencies, so that if your FF goes Pete Tong, you can still safely get down a hill even in neutral.

it is more agressive than normal as there is no engine/gearbox braking but works a treat. Current: TDV8 (3.6) RRS HSE

Past: TDV8(4.4) Vogue
Discovery 3 Commercial
TDV8(3.6) Vogue
TD6 Vogue
D2 V8 ES
D1 V8 ES
RR Vogue Classic

Post #90567 5th Nov 2011 8:28pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

has anyone done this in your own car? Definately thinking about it before I put the 22's back on & over £100 cheaper than using their car!

Post #120251 4th May 2012 11:56am
stu

now that is interesting!! i didn't know that. i would certainly do it in my FFRR, simply because having been on one before there is nothing that will damage the car. the only thing i think that happened when i drove the 4.4 TDV8 last year was the tow hitch dragged a couple of times as it sticks down. simple nut and bolt to undo it on your own car.

if you do it let us know how you get on and post some pics.. Thumbs Up Current: TDV8 (3.6) RRS HSE

Discovery 3 Commercial
TDV8(3.6) Vogue
TD6 Vogue
D2 V8 ES
D1 V8 ES
RR Vogue Classic

Post #120255 4th May 2012 12:01pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Scroll to the bottom of the prices: http://www.scotland.landroverexperience.co...rices.aspx

Am getting my dad the half day in the FFRR for his 70th, and thought about taking mine along at the same time.

Post #120260 4th May 2012 12:11pm
stu

sounds like a plan!! Current: TDV8 (3.6) RRS HSE

Discovery 3 Commercial
TDV8(3.6) Vogue
TD6 Vogue
D2 V8 ES
D1 V8 ES
RR Vogue Classic

Post #120269 4th May 2012 12:27pm
Andy3681

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Cairns Blue

Going on the full day experience at Solihull cant wait Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Been offroading in My Disco 2 Series 2A and Freelanders but not taken the FF out in anger yet! Mine was a blue one! Smile

Post #120270 4th May 2012 12:28pm
stu

quite sure you will enjoy it!! the FFRR is just superb off road. to be honest it makes it all too easy!! that's not a bad thing though. Current: TDV8 (3.6) RRS HSE

Discovery 3 Commercial
TDV8(3.6) Vogue
TD6 Vogue
D2 V8 ES
D1 V8 ES
RR Vogue Classic

Post #120272 4th May 2012 12:35pm
Nick Ground

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Indus Silver

As a seasoned off roader (i don't mean salt and pepper here - like regularly for 26 years) I went to Eastnor three years ago as a part of a 'sorry' package from the local stealer. During the intro part we established that the half-day tester would be a waste and were given permission to go freestyle. I must admit to having been quite surprised even then what the FFRR electronics can achieve. Most alarming was the way the HDC allowed the vehicle speed to increase downhill to maintain the steering grip. That was in the 3.6 TDV8. The 4.4 with the dynamic suspension electronics is noticeably more comfortable off road.

I got bored on the way home yesterday across the Salisbury Plain and went off-roading. Whilst the standard Scorpions are good I nearly came unstuck on a grass slope!

I will now be looking to see if I can take mine to Eastnor.

Nick 2019 D5 HSE Lux SDV6 Indus
55 D3 SE
98 MX5 1.8 RS
gone 17 older variants of FFRR

Post #120308 4th May 2012 5:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1