60%  [3]
Total Votes: 5

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey
3rd party insurance and the loan car offered

Ok after the hit my FFRR suffered on friday im getting a few quotes together for the work and know i reserve the right to take it where i want. Which is ideal for me as all the Jag, LR and Merc dealers locally take their cars to a place 5minutes walk from my door who seem to do dam good work.

The problem i will no doubt have is getting a satisfactory replacement/loaner while its in.
Now as it wasnt my fault i guess i shouldn't lose out at all, IE i should get a similar spec car if not better, ie not a washing machine with a wheels bolted onto the corners Smile And also i tow quite a heavey van behined us and do require the 4wheel drive nature of the car as mud is slippy stuff these days Smile

What are the chances of getting another FFRR as a loner while mines in for the work which i'd imagine to be at least 3days for strip down, prep, paint, dry and re-bolt?

Are the many 4x4's out there that can pull 2.2tonne safely?? noting that the reccomended towing ratio of 85% puts me into vehicles over 2588kg??

I reckon it puts me firmly into the arena of D4/D3/RRS/FRR/Land Cruiser/Shogun/....

Has anyone been down this route before?
I know if the company say 'hire one and we will pay' i can source one at not too bad a price locally, but am i entitled to one if the accident isn't my fault and my insurance aren't involved?

Post #90916 7th Nov 2011 11:27pm
TugRR

United Kingdom 

Dangerous game, this one. Don't take my advice, go to "Honest John" through the Motoring section of the Daily Telegraph website - there should be lots of advice as it comes up in the paper virtually every week.

The dangerous bit, apparently, is the difference between what you believe you are entitled to and what the other insurer believes is reasonable. There is an example quoted in the DT of a guy who was given an equivalent car to his - an X5 - after a crash. The repair time was deliberately prolonged to bump up the car hire to around £30k Shocked Guess what ? - the other insurer didn't want to pay that much, so didn't. The bill was left with the guy . . . . .

In your case, you will obviously be able to prove your use / need, given the weights you quote.

If it were me, Kingpleb, like you've suggested, I'd take the car to where I wanted it repaired, then hire a vehicle to MY needs and avoid the "accident management" nonsense. You will get your car repaired to your expectations and get it back in less time. Then claim back the car/truck hire.

I did it with a Volvo I had. It had some underside damage and I didn't want it to go the insurer's repairer, so I took it to Volvo, who did a top job. It was a bit more time consuning, but worth it.

Hope your car's not too bad and is ship shape asap !

Thumbs Up Where do you go after one of these . . . ?

Post #90929 8th Nov 2011 12:10am
JOKER

Scotland 

^^^^ what he said about the other driver being left to foot the bill as there was a big write up about this "like for like" vehicle .... You could be left with a bigger bill rather than a replacement car ... I know someone who's been there took best part of 18 months to sort out between claim and counter claim from other insurance company ... Thumbs Up ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #90942 8th Nov 2011 9:15am
kingpleb

Cheers Dudes.

Cant find the question on honest johns website but will see what the ins co come back with later.

Found daily rate for a FFRR with a possible towbar for £96p/d +vat....
then a D3 is £65p/d +vat and a 110 is £70+vat..

They said prices will likely drop if the insurance co pay direct as they often get big discounts but im going to push for a like for like replacement on the basis that i need the tow cap, and nothing really comes close to FFRR comfort other than another FFRR

Post #90957 8th Nov 2011 10:46am
JOKER

Scotland 

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/ar...-trap.html ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #90962 8th Nov 2011 10:57am
Rob2529

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

Pleb
Give help hire a call. They looked after all my work when my VX220 was written off. They got me a like for like car within a couple of days. Ended upnwithban Alfa spider convertible with 32miles on the clock. Ended up having it almost 3 months due to insurance stupidity! They looked after all the legal stuff too. Very good company and service.
http://www.helphire.co.uk/ [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]
04, 4.4V8, Vogue Oslo Blue with LPG.
"You can sleep in your car, BUT you can't race your house!!!!"

If something can't be fixed with a hammer....... You have yourself an electrical fault!

Post #90982 8th Nov 2011 11:52am
kingpleb

Chers Mick makes a good read Smile but scarey as well Sad

Post #90983 8th Nov 2011 11:54am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

me? ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #90988 8th Nov 2011 12:08pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Think he means "scary" after reading about it … Thumbs Up ====================================

Post #90990 8th Nov 2011 12:17pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up Laughing ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #90991 8th Nov 2011 12:18pm
kingpleb

I did.

Deffo don't want to be stuffed for any money afterwards as that would take the rip.
Cant even see them paying out for lost work time really Sad

Post #91009 8th Nov 2011 2:25pm
kingpleb

Another dilemma, but related if anyone can help.

My ffrr didn't come with tpms. As such the front wiring loom for it is £1800+vat Rolling with laughter
Now with some help I've found that the non tpms part and the other bits actually comes to around £850+vat, and say another £100 for fitting.

Does anyone think I stand a chance of getting the insurance co to pay for the cheaper option??

Would be a nice add-on I admit but the price of the lower spec loom is shocking!!! Guess its a case of demand being lower or the tpms one than the standard one!

Post #91066 8th Nov 2011 8:41pm
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

have you considered this mr pleb,

http://www.maplin.co.uk/wireless-tyre-pres...tem-390208 ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

Post #91078 8th Nov 2011 9:32pm
kingpleb

Neat idea scarey Smile

just thinking of getting another feature installed and saving some money on the repair bill.

Guess it depends on what the repairers invoice would look like and if the co are happy for me to front the bills and claim them back from them Smile

Post #91082 8th Nov 2011 9:43pm
kingpleb

Well its taken a turn for the worse.

The assessing company called up today and wanted to send someone round monday morning.

I said could they make it at the earliest 1300hrs instead as i will have been on my 4th out of 5 night shifts and only finished at 0700 and in bed by 8 as im shattered.

'Oh no im afraid not, it would be likely after 9 but before 12 as he is coming from Newcastle'

I just politely said that was tough and as the accident wasn't my fault im not beding over backwards and how come this is now necessary, is it because the wiring loom is possibly damaged?

She said it was and that due to the cost of it (more than the bodywork) they needed to assess and it would only take 30minutes.

I said how the hell can he take off the bumper and undertray, assess every wire on that loom and put it back in 30mins? Did he work for a WRC team on his day off and swap engines out in 60minutes?

She said no, but accepted that it would take more than 30minutes to do that but he may not need to do that.

i advised it would be fine if the bumper was hanging off and the car wasn't drivable but i use it everyday and im not having someone poking about it without my consent and won't leave the keys with anyone for that reason and i want to know exactly what he thinks as they often try to repair bumpers and such like instead of buying new and that i wouldn't accept it (usually because repairing items like this its cheaper to buy new instead of hours and hours of labour repairing only to repaint the whole panel again) and that i wasn't just the average driver and knew how parts bolted together and worked and whats required to repair them most of the time.

She said she would call back after seeing what could be done but that monday morning was the only time they had at the moment.

Just had a voicemail left by the 3rd party ins co asking why i refused to allow an assessor to see the car on monday morning Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I've just emailed them back and said im already getting bored of this and would prefer to repair and hire the vehicle i want, foot the bill and claim that back from them as well as the time they are currently wasting of mine...

Why do things have to be this hard. I do feel like just calling helphire now(as said above) and letting them deal with it all but then losing out the ability to get other bits tidied at the same time for reduced cost to myself (in lost time with the car!)

Watch this space to see what they say!

Post #91504 10th Nov 2011 8:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>