Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Restricted Performance - Timing Chains - Options??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MPx

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Waitomo Grey
Restricted Performance - Timing Chains - Options??

I've recently had the restricted performance BONG on the car.

IID Tool sees the fault P0017-00(AE) Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation - Bank 1 Sensor 2

My local indie has spent a while with his diags and believes it needs the timing chains doing - he says chains as well as tensioners. Apparently the passenger side is spot on but the drivers side all over the place when looking at live values. I trust him, he's a good bloke, but he doesn't want the job and says he hasn't got the tools.

Looking at generic recommendations on here for places in the West, I called Steve at T&S Norman. Helpful conversation, but again he didn't want the work.

So I called Evans Garage at Crossways. They also claimed not to have the tools and that they've never done one. Nice enough chap but clearly didn't want the work.

So I'm feeling a bit stuck. I could go to the MD at Matford Exeter, Yeovil or Taunton. But they are all really Helston Garages and over the years I've been lied to and fleeced by both Matford and Yeovil so not really keen to give them any more of my money. To be fair it was only one incident each vs several occasions where I was satisfied, but they were both significant and I gave both places a chance to rectify and they chose not to but to stick to their lies - subsequently shown up for what they were. I'll only bend over the once - I learn quickly. As part of the same group, I've no reason to think Taunton will be any more honest.

I'm running out of ideas, so would welcome others thoughts. This is often talked about on here as one of the known failings of the earlier 5.0, so plenty of others must have had their chains sorted. Where did you get it done?

Another thought was selling it on (here or elsewhere) with the fault clearly declared up front, for say £2 or 3 k off normal values. Is it just too big a job for the self maintainers brigade or might that be an attractive way in to a 5.0SC?? What do you reckon Chris (@Quavey)?

As I said, grateful for any constructive thoughts ... Mike - MPx

2017 5.0 V8 Supercharged SVAutobigraphy Dynamic SVO Palette Grey (2021-...)
2012 5.0 V8 Supercharged Autoboigraphy Orkney Grey (2017-2021)
2007 4.2 V8 Supercharged Vogue SE Tonga Green (2012-2017)
2002 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonnatti Grey (2008-2012)

Post #581653 29th Jan 2021 6:32pm
Bean19844

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Bonatti Grey

I guess ultimately it all depends on how much you like the car. Could always venture further afield too see if anyone would take the work on but obviously becomes a pain getting it there and back etc.

I'd say look around and see who the most reputable garage is who can do it and work out if the travel expense is worth it.

I haven't been on this site long myself but I think cam tech craig might be able too assist you as I think he's out your way as he seems to be pretty knowledgeable on here

Post #581678 29th Jan 2021 9:52pm
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

When were out of lockdown, get it booked in with Green Oval, have a courtesy car and a few days in York whilst the work is being done. Green Oval in my experience are first class, do a great job, have sound advice and really know their stuff. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #581698 30th Jan 2021 6:30am
knares

Australia 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

i am now getting the bong and the 16km sign
same as yours, right hand bank, camshaft to far advanced, different engine to yours
i have come to the conclusion, if you dont have that feature, its not a range rover
i am just keeping on keeping on driving it RR 2005 4.4 petrol
Any spelling mistakes are the fault of spellchecker
Previous MG J2, CITROEN light 15 x 2 gone unfortunately
Present MERC 180e, RANGE ROVER L322, JAGUAR XJS, MERC 280SE, MG F, JAGUAR S-Type 6v 2003, jaguar s-type 8v 2004, Ford Cougar

Post #581699 30th Jan 2021 8:17am
paulbrown22

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Stornoway Grey
Re: Restricted Performance - Timing Chains - Options??

MPx wrote:
This is often talked about on here as one of the known failings of the earlier 5.0, so plenty of others must have had their chains sorted.

Various previous threads and surveys on here seem to have shown that whilst it's an often talked about issue with the early few years of 5.0 S/C's, relatively few of us (on here at least) seem to have had the problem and needed the chains/tensioners replaced. Presumably also where out of the number of people/cars on here, still relatively few are 5.0 S/C's.

Depending on how far you want to travel, there were some ideas here the other week more in South/East, even if you want to phone them for advice/prices: https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic58206.html .

Please do let us know what you find, as I haven't had it done yet either, so is always in the back of my mind...!

Post #581742 30th Jan 2021 1:19pm
MPx

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Waitomo Grey

Good prompt @Bean19844...

Yorkshire is a bit far AJ ! Main prob is I don't want to wait to post lockdown - whenever that is. Its my tow car and I have groundcare equipment that I need to move locally and we needed it to attend a funeral in London on 21st which proved very awkward, so the odd "essential" things seem to come up pretty regularly.

@Knares - I have "kept on keeping on" locally (twice now) but I don't really know what I'm risking and what restricted performance means in terms of what the car will or wont do. It towed a chipper 6 miles, albeit slowly, on the lanes without apparent issue.

Thanks for the two links Paul - but like GreenOval both well over 3 hours from me at normal speeds let alone "restricted". Probably only options post lockdown. Mike - MPx

2017 5.0 V8 Supercharged SVAutobigraphy Dynamic SVO Palette Grey (2021-...)
2012 5.0 V8 Supercharged Autoboigraphy Orkney Grey (2017-2021)
2007 4.2 V8 Supercharged Vogue SE Tonga Green (2012-2017)
2002 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonnatti Grey (2008-2012)

Post #581748 30th Jan 2021 1:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1