Location: UK< Surrey - Near the Middle Close to Some Green Bits

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

Many thanks Joe90...

Next time I jack, I will make note of those locations....!! Thumbs Up 

Post #126679 18th Jun 2012 11:30am
oldcro

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

The MY12 handbook states in the section on "Wheel changing" the following:-

Never place anything between the jack and the ground, or the jack and the vehicle.

Ensure the air suspension is set to 'On road' or 'Normal height'.

Whether these rules are followed or disregarded is anyones choice, but using an alternative method a "man on the internet" recommended could be a problem if a warranty claim results.

Post #126693 18th Jun 2012 12:44pm
Muddywheels

England 

Oldcro - Interesting to see how the handbooks diifer - The information I posted in red is cut and paste from MY10 RRS handbook and states off road setting to be used prior to jacking Confused

I thought air suspension accross the range was similar but maybe not Embarassed Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #126696 18th Jun 2012 12:56pm
Joe90

England 

oldcro wrote:
The MY12 handbook states

I don't have a MY12 neither does Saint.V8 Twisted Evil

Seriously, if you were on grass, you would need a platform for the jack to stop it sinking in. So this immediately contradicts the handbook. Similarly, if using a trolley jack with metal cup, you might want to protect the underside of your RR with a small bit of ply or carpet tile.

My trolley jack, whilst a 3/5 tonner, doesn't have the greatest reach (@15") so I need to give it a hand by lifting it from the ground with a couple of stout planks to reduce the lift distance.

Regarding height setting - I really don't think it makes the slightest difference, it is going to hang down no matter what setting it is on, going to Off Road allows for packing out.

Having just recalibrated my suspension the car is sitting much higher all round, so I probably won't now need to go to Off Road any more Smile

These are just tips from other owners, no-one has to follow them, it just helps others to understand their car a bit better. Seems everyone has their own view.

Use common sense, the right equipment, jack the body, and always put safety first, if you have a warranty - use it. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #126698 18th Jun 2012 12:58pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

Joe90 wrote:

Regarding height setting - I really don't think it makes the slightest difference, it is going to hang down no matter what setting it is on, going to Off Road allows for packing out.

completely agree with this..i have jacked up on all 3 settings and have had no problems.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #126701 18th Jun 2012 1:03pm
47p2

Scotland 

Joe90 wrote:

Alternatively I would love to have a four post hydraulic lift, but then I would need a double height garage Smile

Whistle Whistle Whistle

Post #126703 18th Jun 2012 1:07pm
oldcro

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

[quote="Joe90"]

oldcro wrote:
The MY12 handbook states

Seriously, if you were on grass, you would need a platform for the jack to stop it sinking in. So this immediately contradicts the handbook. Similarly, if using a trolley jack with metal cup, you might want to protect the underside of your RR with a small bit of ply or carpet tile.

I should have added another rule (there are so many of them" which says:-

"Ensure that the vehicle and jack are both on firm level ground". No mention of what to do about grass or soft ground.

As for the height setting, I don't think it has anything to do with how far the wheel hangs down when jacking up. If access mode was selected prior to jacking up (air bag deflated) the weight of the wheel could strain the seals by pulling a vacuum causing an air leak.

Not sure I've explained what I mean in that last paragraph clearly enough, but hopefully someone might understand what I'm getting at.

Post #126707 18th Jun 2012 1:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12