Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Why did you buy a FFRR?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Alias

Switzerland 
Why did you buy a FFRR?

Hi

I have my Range Rover Sport for about 1 year and I'm very happy with the RRS.
Soon I want to buy a new car and I want to buy a FFRR.
My question is: Why is the FFRR better than a RRS? Is it the space or luxury? Are there any people who changed from a RRS to a FFRR? And why?

Post #7744 14th Oct 2009 9:29am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I had the Supercharged Sport and changed to the TD6 Vogue.

reasons why I prefer it:

More interior space
    nicer interior materials
    better leather grade
    More class
    Not bling
    Luxury not plastic fantastic
    Better off road
    better tailgate arrangement
    More space for rear passengers- full size seats not child size ones
    Better AV arrangement, being able to view MP3 disc contents rather than "Data Disc, Folder 1"
    Has TV
    has rear interior lights automatically come on
    It has class
    Its just better! Very Happy
 Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #7748 14th Oct 2009 10:43am
Alias

Switzerland 

Thanks RRUK.
But how is the engine? You drove a Supercharged with a 4.2 Liter and now a TD6. Don't you miss the power and sound of the V8?

Post #7749 14th Oct 2009 10:58am
Real RR

Re: Why did you buy a FFRR?

Alias wrote:
Hi

My question is: Why is the FFRR better than a RRS?

Depends what you are looking for really. The difference is a FFRR is a Range Rover and the RRS is a Discovery with a body kit. The FFRR with its split tailgate has practicality and space whereas the RRS has neither. However the main attraction of the FFRR for me and many others I spoken to are the seats. The RRS seats are simply not good enough. They are too small and lack adjustment.

I've just returned home after attending a local dealer launch of the 2010 models where the Disco 4, Sport and FFRR Autobiography were on display side by side. The D4 & RRS interiors have been vastly improved but there's still no comparison with the real thing.

Bottom line is if a FFRR is suitable for your needs rather than just as a status symbol then you'll never consider another vehicle. If you don't need a FFRR then I'd recommend you buy something else.

Post #7750 14th Oct 2009 1:07pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

Alias wrote:
Thanks RRUK.
But how is the engine? You drove a Supercharged with a 4.2 Liter and now a TD6. Don't you miss the power and sound of the V8?

Of course, but the rest of the car is so much better in so many ways that the outright performance is not a deciding factor any more.

I had the TD6 remapped and its quick enough, the TDV8 will be my next one and having driven a number of them cannot see why anyone would want a petrol SC now.

I drive the TD6 differently to the 4.2V8 and enjoy it more overall. Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #7754 14th Oct 2009 2:36pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

space,
opulence,
looks,
class

other than an Aston nothing else comes close - a Bentley is far too ponsey - I didn't want to end up looking like a drug dealer, wanna be footballer or an old man Shocked

as for a Sport - isnt that just a disco in a posh frock? Laughing or as Clarkson calls them a spit-roasters express Confused

PLUS what else will transport 5 hefty blokes, guns and dogs in comfort and offroad

Post #7755 14th Oct 2009 2:44pm
kin

England 2006 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

The full fat Range Rover is the daddy, and the rest are just wannabes Wink

Need I say more? Mr. Green

Post #7760 14th Oct 2009 8:47pm
jayzee

2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Java Black

Real RR wrote:
Alias wrote:
Hi

My question is: Why is the FFRR better than a RRS?

However the main attraction of the FFRR for me and many others I spoken to are the seats. The RRS seats are simply not good enough. They are too small and lack adjustment.

Sadly, the late 2006 onwards model of the full fat RR have the very same seats as the sport. This was a deciding factor in me buying an early 2006 model.

Bring back the BMW comfort seats I say! Big Cry

Hello BTW - great forum Smile

Post #7766 15th Oct 2009 11:38am
RRUK
Site Supporter

Jayzee,

Slightly inaccurate, but along the right lines.

The seats in the newer FFRR (I think MY07 onwards) that had the interior changes and Terrain Response are slightly different to the older (better) seats.

They are not the same seats that they put in the Sport however, those are totally different, I can speak from experience on this.

However, the older seats are better IMO as they have the upper back adjustment feature which is now no longer available. This was a 'Concorde moment' in my view.

The newer seats are narrower across the shoulders (which actually fit me better as I am slim) and a bit firmer. If you have seats with the air-cooling they are even firmer and not as comfortable as standard ones I thought . Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #7776 15th Oct 2009 1:19pm
Full fat not diet

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Which is the better suit - Saville Row or High Street M&S?

The same applies to FFRR or a RRS - IMHO Thumbs Up

I do like Discos though and under the right circumstances it would get the thumbs up from - i was really impressed with the new D4 Thumbs Up

Post #7779 15th Oct 2009 1:34pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

...apart from the crap seats, seatbelts that don't adjust enough, still slightly asthmatic engine and choppy ride. yeah it's great! Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #7783 15th Oct 2009 3:49pm
RRV

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

Why did you buy a FFRR?

Because I could. If you have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all.

Post #7788 15th Oct 2009 8:39pm
Real RR

RRUK wrote:
cannot see why anyone would want a petrol SC now.

Thats easy. Discussed this here http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic949.html. IMO the petrol engine is more robust than the diesel (4.2 SC vs TDV8) and is likely to be less trouble to own long term. Any moisture finding it's way in a modern high pressure diesel fuel system is an extremely costly exercise. Diesel fuel being hygroscopic this is difficult to prevent in a high temperature / humidty environment such as where I live.
Since buying I've also discovered the petrol requires less maintenance and it's doing about 12l/100km so no complaints there either.

jayzee wrote:

the late 2006 onwards model of the full fat RR have the very same seats as the sport.

Yes they are different to the earlier BMW seats and lack the range of adjustment both in the backrest and the seat cushion tilt but they are not the same and still way better than the sport.

jayzee wrote:

This was a deciding factor in me buying an early 2006 model.

Completely agree with you here. I did the same. Was looking for a newer model until I sampled the seats and realised the difference. Sat in a display 2010 Autobiography for 15 minutes a couple of days ago and did not like the seats. Hopefully they'll upgrade at the next revamp or I may be living with a 2006 forever!

RRUK wrote:
Jayzee,
The seats in the newer FFRR (I think MY07 onwards) that had the interior changes and Terrain Response are slightly different to the older (better) seats.

They are not the same seats that they put in the Sport however, those are totally different, I can speak from experience on this.

However, the older seats are better IMO as they have the upper back adjustment feature which is now no longer available. This was a 'Concorde moment' in my view.

The newer seats are narrower across the shoulders (which actually fit me better as I am slim) and a bit firmer. If you have seats with the air-cooling they are even firmer and not as comfortable as standard ones I thought .

Yep, second all of that.

RRUK wrote:
...apart from the crap seats, seatbelts that don't adjust enough, still slightly asthmatic engine and choppy ride. yeah it's great!

And that.

The new D4 is much much better. Its on the verge of becoming a RR if they could just fix the seats, engines and the ride. Which they won't, or who would buy a RR.....

Post #7791 15th Oct 2009 9:49pm
JMC

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Alias wrote:
Why is the FFRR better than a RRS?

If you need to ask, you probably don't need to change the RRS! Whistle The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #7793 16th Oct 2009 8:05am
speedymarktd6

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

the reason i baught a FFRR is simply because its a supurb vehicle to drive regardless of engine , its the best off road which ive proved no end of times and if its good enough for her majesty its good enough for me and i wouldnt talk anybody out of buying one yes they have there moments but they get a 100% Thumbs Up from me onto no6 Range Rover

Everyone needs a hobby

Post #7859 19th Oct 2009 8:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>