Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Clearest photos yet of new Rangie L405...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 14 <123 4 ... 121314>
Print this entire topic · 
d3syd

Australia 

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
Well, i met a Land Rover Tech today (works at the factory in Brum) the L405 is going to look more like the sport in its roof line etc as its built on the sport platform! Will be made on the same build line as the sport and LR4... The new FF will have Evoque style lights front and rear and look like a conservatively facelifted 322/Sport hybrid!

There is no plan for a new Sport this side of 2014 and no replacement due for the LR4 as the LR3/4 was not expected to sell as well... Strange!

Craig Thumbs Up

That can't be right, it's a red herring I think. The new FF is meant to be built on an all new weight saving aluminium monocoque platform. There won't be much weight saving if it uses the RRS/D4 platform. More likely the other way round - the new RRS and Disco will be built on a modified version of this new FF platform.

No replacement for the D4? Doubt it. Discovery 4 SE Baltic Blue
Previously D3 SE, D2 Td5

Post #122621 19th May 2012 2:55am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

I don't think Craig's Land Rover man has been paying much attention at the office.

Post #122642 19th May 2012 11:44am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Trommel wrote:
I don't think Craig's Land Rover man has been paying much attention at the office.

Well, i guess we'll see when its built!

Post #122717 20th May 2012 1:19am
Cam-Tech-Craig

d3syd wrote:
Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
Well, i met a Land Rover Tech today (works at the factory in Brum) the L405 is going to look more like the sport in its roof line etc as its built on the sport platform! Will be made on the same build line as the sport and LR4... The new FF will have Evoque style lights front and rear and look like a conservatively facelifted 322/Sport hybrid!

There is no plan for a new Sport this side of 2014 and no replacement due for the LR4 as the LR3/4 was not expected to sell as well... Strange!

Craig Thumbs Up

That can't be right, it's a red herring I think. The new FF is meant to be built on an all new weight saving aluminium monocoque platform. There won't be much weight saving if it uses the RRS/D4 platform. More likely the other way round - the new RRS and Disco will be built on a modified version of this new FF platform.

No replacement for the D4? Doubt it.

Aluminium monocoque on a ladder platform... Weight saving... And no, no plans for a replacement LR4 yet!

Dont shoot the messenger! Im just trying to help!!! Shall not bother next time!

Craig Evil or Very Mad

Post #122718 20th May 2012 1:26am
d3syd

Australia 

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:

Craig Evil or Very Mad

Sorry Craig, I wasn't attacking you, and didn't mean for it to sound that way... I was just surprised at the misinformation the LR tech gave you. I really doubt he knew what he was talking about.

No hard feelings mate. Smile Discovery 4 SE Baltic Blue
Previously D3 SE, D2 Td5

Post #122719 20th May 2012 1:34am
d3syd

Australia 

Here's another pic of the L405 I haven't seen yet.

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/2012/05/19...re-clears/ Discovery 4 SE Baltic Blue
Previously D3 SE, D2 Td5

Post #122732 20th May 2012 9:10am
Cam-Tech-Craig

d3syd wrote:
Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:

Craig Evil or Very Mad

Sorry Craig, I wasn't attacking you, and didn't mean for it to sound that way... I was just surprised at the misinformation the LR tech gave you. I really doubt he knew what he was talking about.

No hard feelings mate. Smile

Well, he's the brother of a contact i have dealt with on a business level for many years now... Never met him before and he was introduced as one of the higher ranking techs in the factory with 20yrs+ experience...

He is part of the team making the changes to the Sport LR4 line to accept the new FF...

And finally he had a Land Rover laptop/workpad type of device with a number of pictures of the New RR 405 on so... No, i dont doubt his word for a second actually...

Post #122734 20th May 2012 9:16am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

"The main difference between the outgoing L322 and the new L405 is the all-new modular aluminium platform, which will also underpin the next Discovery, which will drastically reduce the current car’s portly 2.7-tonne kerbweight. The word on the street is that the new Rangie is a much more car-like driving experience – a deliberate ploy from a company that’s trying to take an increasing share of the luxury car market."

From http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/2012/05/19...re-clears/

Have to agree it seems odd that the tech said it was existing Sport/LR4 platform and above says ALL NEW Modular Aluminium Platform?

Post #122735 20th May 2012 9:24am
d3syd

Australia 

Gazellio @ Prestige Cars wrote:
"The main difference between the outgoing L322 and the new L405 is the all-new modular aluminium platform, which will also underpin the next Discovery, which will drastically reduce the current car’s portly 2.7-tonne kerbweight. The word on the street is that the new Rangie is a much more car-like driving experience – a deliberate ploy from a company that’s trying to take an increasing share of the luxury car market."

From http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/2012/05/19...re-clears/

Have to agree it seems odd that the tech said it was existing Sport/LR4 platform and above says ALL NEW Modular Aluminium Platform?

Precisely.

All will be revealed in a few months in Paris, so we'll find out then if our lingering doubt is unfounded. Discovery 4 SE Baltic Blue
Previously D3 SE, D2 Td5

Post #122744 20th May 2012 10:36am
d3syd

Australia 

More new pics here....

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/spyshots...45158.html

Click on the individual pictures to magnify.

The split tailgate setup can be clearly seen on the shot of the rear. There definitely appears to be some sort of cosmetic vertical "fins" on the front door.

The car seems to have quad exhaust pipes. Discovery 4 SE Baltic Blue
Previously D3 SE, D2 Td5

Post #122853 21st May 2012 11:36am
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Quote:
And finally he had a Land Rover laptop/workpad type of device with a number of pictures of the New RR 405 on so...

A sackable offence.... Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #122871 21st May 2012 12:54pm
Java Jungle

Monaco 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Nara Bronze

Looks like a sport now.... Big Cry

JJ

Post #122884 21st May 2012 2:35pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

I got to say I think it is looking good, sure there is a styling nod in the direction of the Sport and Evoque, and why not as they are both more modern but overall it still looks more like a FF than anything else.

One could note that the L322 looks different to the P38 both inside and out, which it does - but that isn't a bad thing is it? Geoff

Post #122901 21st May 2012 4:14pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

The problem is not only is it less distinctive, it's less dignified.

The profile (sloping front, shallower tapering glasshouse, rising shoulder-line, sloping back window, prominent rear spoiler, smooth bumpers) could be a Q7 or anything.

Replacing a design as good as the existing one was always going to be difficult, but the L322 had an elegant simplicity to it when launched - this doesn't, even ignoring the Evoque-lite front end, lights, lines in the doors etc.

Post #122914 21st May 2012 5:06pm
Rolo

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Orkney Grey

Oh dear, I am quite liking those last photo's Laughing I think it looks a whole lot better than anything we've been lead to belive it would look like in those movk ups over the last year.

I was a bit dubious from the 1st picture 'cause it does look a bit wedge shaped, but that maybe 'cause it's braking at the time of the photo ? The side shots look quite pleasing to my eyes.

The tailgate looks like it might have a 3 way split ! Probably not, but that could be good if the top opens as normal, then the bottom splits normally at the top of the number plate, but could also fold back on itself from the bottom of the numberplate. Certainly make life easy for reaching into the boot as well as being able to sit on it for a picnic.

What's going to be interesting is to see how the new sport is modelled against this - will it be almost the same & even closer than now ? Or will that get a whole new styling as well, so it'll be sort of like that but lower & bigger arches as they sort of are now to the FF ??

Anyway, overall, I think this might get my Thumbs Up now.

Post #122921 21st May 2012 5:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 14 <123 4 ... 121314>