Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Lets talk gearbox oil coolers...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba
Lets talk gearbox oil coolers...

I've said before that I dont like how hot the BMW V8 setup runs at normal temps in terms of coolant and gearbox. I tow fairly regularly and at the end of the journey even the wife says that the engine smells hot. I've even had the gearbox go into overheat modes ... I hate the thought of that having shelled out a fortune getting the gearbox reconned a few years ago.

It crosses my mind all the time that the gearbox oil temp is kept artificially high by the engine coolant, and that when you hit a hill towing, this reduces the overhead you have before you hit the overheat range.

What if you removed the existing heat exchanger and replaced it with a standard oil cooler? I was thinking along the lines of a P38's oil cooler which looks like it would fit in the space in front of lower rad just underneath the electic fan.

Are there any measurements of how much cooling is needed? and how much a cooler can cool?

I was figuring that if a P38 can manage with a single cooler, then so can the L322 ... or is there something that makes the L322's geaerbox much more demanding?

I'm aware that the heat up time would be longer, but thats an acceptable consequence.

any thoughts, ideas suggestions and comments are welcome... like I say .... lets talk about gearbox cooling! Smile V8 or else ...

Post #124011 28th May 2012 4:56pm
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Wait for the ECU to scream and die Smile Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #124012 28th May 2012 4:58pm
Richcl

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Fisha,
I had an external oil cooler fitted to mine last year when I had gearbox done. Sits in front of the main engine radiators, behind electric cooling fan.

No way of telling the temperature, but is large, and sits in airflow, not buried in the engine bay.

Rich

Post #124014 28th May 2012 5:04pm
fisha

was that in addition to the exchanger or as a replacement V8 or else ...

Post #124022 28th May 2012 5:55pm
Richcl

Replaced, as they cant guarantee any debris from gearbox failure will not be in original cooler, plus it's an upgrade and keeps oil cooler.

Post #124023 28th May 2012 6:04pm
Richcl

Here's a link.

http://www.autotransgloucester.co.uk/ATGL/Coolers.html

As well as gearbox cooler, they fitted upgraded pump to gearbox and sleeved the valves in valve block.

My car has just had 6 month oil flush last week, and again, they don't just drop contents of sump, they purge the gearbox to change as much of the old oil as possible.

Post #124026 28th May 2012 6:14pm
fisha

Interesting ... and confirms it can be done.

So what did they do about the coolant pipes at the section where they meet the exchanger? Did they just replace them with straight pipes or leave the exchanger in place with the oil not connected. V8 or else ...

Post #124031 28th May 2012 6:38pm
Richcl

Mine were disconnected, although at first it was joined with a length of pipe to complete the curcuit, this caused over cooling (mentioned in another thread), I removed this tube and blanked the ends, to stop the flow and the over cooling.

I suppose the coolant pipes could be left connected, thier is an internal thermostat in the original oil cooler, which only opens up when gearbox oil temp rises, or remove from cooler and blank the ends like I have.

Post #124043 28th May 2012 8:49pm
jim2RRs

United States 2005 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Chawton White

Fisha:
Are you planning to exchange the L322 gearbox cooler for a P38 version?

The transmission oil is hotter than the engine coolant, so it will dump heat into the coolant.
I thought the point of this new system was to extract the heat even when you're sitting still.
As you know, the P38 version will only cool effectively when you're moving.

You could add the P38 trans cooler (installed where it goes in the P38), then plumb that back to the existing device; so you'd cool the trans oil, then probably re-heat it! But you'd still have cooling when stationary.

As far as "amount of cooling", 1 of those laws of thermodynamics says (more or less), the greater the difference between the 2 temperatures, the faster the heat transfer.
So the L322 version, at standard operating temperature, is always cooling the trans oil with engine coolant at 205F.
Running the P38 version, ambient air temperature is more important, and the vehicle moving keeps a steady stream of cool(er) air moving across the oil cooler.

I have yet to encounter 200F temperatures where I live.
Although, sitting still on the highway in a giant summertime traffic jam, I've seen my outside temp display at 105F. Jim
2000 NAS HSE
2005 NAS HSE

Post #124303 30th May 2012 12:40am
fisha

Quote:
Are you planning to exchange the L322 gearbox cooler for a P38 version?

Was actually considering 2 of them plumbed in series, one above the other sitting at the bottom front area of the radiators. The leccy fan looks like it sits away from the condenser by about the right amount. This would mean that I would fit one in the open space at the bottom and one above it which would get some cooling from the fan when it switches on ( which is quite regular if the engine is upto temp and the air con on ) It would also get air drawn through it by the main viscious fan .

Quote:
The transmission oil is hotter than the engine coolant, so it will dump heat into the coolant.

Pushing heat into the coolant is what I dont want. A seperate mod I am considering is to change the thermostat to an BMW M5 one to bring the stat temp down from 105°C to the more normal 90° range to give me more temperature overhead for towing.

Reading the RAVE manual, warm up mode is below 60°C and high temp is in the 120-124°C range - thats quite a range that the gearbox considers as normal temp. I think I would have to do a significant amount of cooling to bring it down anywhere near 60°C. At the same time, I dont see the point of heating it up to 105°C by the coolant if the gearbox isn't working the fluid to that temp. V8 or else ...

Post #124346 30th May 2012 1:29pm
jim2RRs

fisha wrote:

Was actually considering 2 of them plumbed in series, one above the other sitting at the bottom front area of the radiators.

Recalling from the P38 that the engine oil cooler and trans oil cooler are different sizes, use whichever is:
A. cheaper
B. larger
Don't forget to account for the additional volume of oil needed to fill those coolers.
Quote:
Pushing heat into the coolant is what I dont want. A seperate mod I am considering is to change the thermostat to an BMW M5 one to bring the stat temp down from 105°C to the more normal 90° range to give me more temperature overhead for towing.

That's a pretty big temperature change.
Presumably, the ECU will deal appropriately with the change?
Why does it run so hot? An emissions thing?
Quote:
Reading the RAVE manual, warm up mode is below 60°C and high temp is in the 120-124°C range - thats quite a range that the gearbox considers as normal temp. I think I would have to do a significant amount of cooling to bring it down anywhere near 60°C. At the same time, I dont see the point of heating it up to 105°C by the coolant if the gearbox isn't working the fluid to that temp.

Warm-up simply changes the shift patterns to delay upshifts a bit; I can't imagine that creating a problem.
Of all the issues on my P38, my only trans problem has been a leaking trans oil cooler!
Replacing it was easy enough.

And now that I think of it, I'm due for a trans oil change in all 3 vehicles. At least the Grand Cherokee has a dipstick to fill instead of crawling under the truck.

Speaking of changing trans oil...
When I replaced the cooler in the P38, I obviously had to top up the trans oil.
I had 1 of those pump things that was supposed to go on the top of the oil container; it was a PITA.
So, I went to the home & garden center & bought a sprayer thing; a 1-gallon plastic container with a pump & a 3-foot hose with a spray nozzle.
Removed the nozzle, filled with ATF, pumped it up.
Inserted the end of the tube into the fill hole, squeezed the trigger, ATF into trans!
WAY easier than messing around any other way I've found.
It leaks a little at the trigger when its pressurized, but still less ATF on the garage floor than the previous method.

[edit to add:]
Sprayer like this one Jim
2000 NAS HSE
2005 NAS HSE

Post #124370 30th May 2012 3:31pm
fisha

Quote:
That's a pretty big temperature change.
Presumably, the ECU will deal appropriately with the change?
Why does it run so hot? An emissions thing?

AFAIK, its an emissions thing ... higher temp = better emissions

The normal stat runs at 105° under normal load conditions, then when the engine ECU thinks that its under high load, the engine will use an additional electric stat ( its all part of the same thermostat unit ) to open up extra flow to the radiator to provide additional cooling. I had considered sending a signal to force the electrical stat open all the time, but through that would burn out that part of it. Its a good idea ... but ... I dont like the idea of it running so high.

I would be looking to use the transmission cooler from the 2.5 diesel P38 ( the engine oil cooler is smaller ) ... it has its outputs at the same end so I could make them the same side as the heat exchanger. V8 or else ...

Post #124376 30th May 2012 4:37pm
jim2RRs

RAVE wrote:

The electrically heated thermostat is used to regulate the engine coolant temperature. The thermostat regulates the coolant temperature depending upon engine load and vehicle speed. This allows the engine coolant temperature to be raised when the engine is operating at part load. Raising the coolant temperature while the engine is at part load has a beneficial effect on fuel consumption and emissions.
If a conventional thermostat with higher constant operating temperature is used, poor response when accelerating and in traffic could result.

This doesn't make any sense.
First it says raising the coolant temp has beneficial effect on fuel consumption & emissions, then it immediately says thermo with higher constant temp could cause poor response when accelerating and in traffic.

Not helpful.

Is the M5 stat physically the same as the RR stat?
Including the heater connector?

The "electric" part of the stat is actually a heater, to force the wax capsule to fully open, rather than an electrically-operated valve.

Removing the heat source caused by the trans oil "cooler" should reduce the engine coolant temperature.
Just doing this might give you a bit more temperature headroom for towing. Jim
2000 NAS HSE
2005 NAS HSE

Post #124384 30th May 2012 5:13pm
fisha

the M5 stat is different. the L322 stat is all one part of the hose connector bit that bolts onto the water pump. an M5 stat is like a normal engine stat which sits sandwiched inbetween the hose connector and the pump.

a search of the web brings up a couple of how-to's on how to change it. You need to get a spacer machined that holds the new stat in place and also need to cut out sections of the old stat. Not a difficult job in the grand scheme of things, but until recently, I've struggled to find a machining shop near me. Might have found one recently though.

Quote:
Removing the heat source caused by the trans oil "cooler" should reduce the engine coolant temperature.
Just doing this might give you a bit more temperature headroom for towing.

It'll remove a heat source, but wouldn't stop the stat keeping the temp at 105°

Also, when peering through the grill, there looks to be various flaps on the front of the radiator which block direct air flow through unless travelling at speed. Seems pointless to block airflow. V8 or else ...

Post #124413 30th May 2012 6:39pm
jim2RRs

fisha wrote:
It'll remove a heat source, but wouldn't stop the stat keeping the temp at 105°

Good point.

If you remove a 200C heat source, it should be "easier" to hold the coolant at 105C.
Which implies more cooling capacity for the coolant.
right?

Then the engine merrily putts along at it's designed 105C, without being impacted by how hard you happen to be working the trans. Jim
2000 NAS HSE
2005 NAS HSE

Post #124428 30th May 2012 8:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>