Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > MOT Bits...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey
MOT Bits...

Ok Well todays failure sheet reads like war and peace and im sure some of it is trying it on....

Quote:

Test class:
IV

Reason(s) for refusal to issue Certificate

Offside Front Front position lamp(s) not working (1.1.A.3b)

Nearside Rear Anti-roll bar linkage has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)

Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm ball joint dust cover insecure so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.4.G.2)

Nearside Front Front constant velocity joint gaiter damaged to the extent that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt etc (2.5.C.1a)

Parking brake efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.1b) **DANGEROUS**

Advisory Notice issued

Nearside Front Lower inner bush Suspension arm has slight play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)

Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)

Parking brake lever has little reserve travel (3.1.6b)

Under-trays fitted obscuring some underside components

Engine covers fitted obscuring some components in the engine bay

Off side rear tyre has cuts

Now CV Gaitor i knew about so thats going to be done anyway, and the anti roll bar isn't a biggy i'll try that one myself i think,

The handbrake i'm going to have a go at as well to see if i can make it any better but low and behold even after telling the tester that the auto adjustment has its moments and he said he tried it. I did it on the way home and had it not all the way up and resisting forward and reverse drive whilst engaged without any throttle(which it didnt do before i did the auto adjustment) So that should be too bad..

The undertrays and all are worrying.. why would landrover fit them if they were an MOT advisory?!?

Also looks like i need the front arm as well.

I tried a search of the forum but cant find 47p2's post on the neoprene one as i intend to get the bits and get a garage to do it on wednesday Smile

Am i missing anything??

PS the front pads have a fair old chunk of meat left on them i feel and i'd say 30%+ left in them easily..

I'm not sure of point 001 though as the only thing the dash warns me of is a front foglamp being out. Are these now an MOT fail?? FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #127585 25th Jun 2012 6:16pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Advisories are of no relevance to the present test, they are merely to advise you of any issues which in the opinion of the tester should be drawn to your attention for future reference regarding maintenance and possibly next years test.
Noting the existance of under-body trays and engine covers is the tester covering himself incase anything behind the covers is a potential failure.
Underbody panels and engine covers cannot be removed by the tester during an mot.
The handbrake, I would strongly recommend you remove the discs and sort the filth you will find inside the drums.
Lack of parking brake reserve travel probably means the handbrake cable has stretched and needs replaced, there's no means of adjustment on the handbrake for this.
Just curious, how do you " auto adjust the handbrake"?
Front fog lights are not a testable item, so it looks as though you have a front side light problem.
Insecure ball joint covers can be fixed with jubilee clips of cable ties.
Damaged gaiters need replaced.
Anti-roll bar link replacement is straight forward.

Best of luck.

Post #127597 25th Jun 2012 8:02pm
kingpleb

For the auto hand brake adjustment most cars if you partially apply the handbrake and then use the foot brake gently all the way to the floor or as far as it will go a few times. It works on almost every car i have come across.

It helped this evening on the way home s per above it worked a charm so will see if it sticks in the morning Smile

Take on board that i'll need to strip the wheels and discs to clean the crud out, specially as they have been deep in mud a few times Very Happy
Is it as simple as wheel off, caliper off, disc off or does the caliper not need to come off?

Will get some cable ties tomorrow and also grease up under the dust covers.

Just thought it might be something serious but will only know myself when i get her up on axle stands and poke about but should get the time tomorrow night with sun staying up plenty long enough Smile

Thanks for the advice NDFI, i'll get a sidelight on order as well as one looks very dim so possibly a poor contact Rolling Eyes as there is condensation in that unit Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #127617 25th Jun 2012 9:42pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Don't quite understand how the "auto adjust " works on a FFRR but I'll try anything once. Smile
Discs off to clean brakes out I'm afraid. I took the calipers off on mine but on some cars you can shuffle the disc out with the caliper in place.
At least when you get this lot sorted you should be ok for a few years hopefully. Thumbs Up

Post #127619 25th Jun 2012 10:07pm
47p2

Scotland 

Caliper and carrier of on the FFRR Big Cry

Post #127622 25th Jun 2012 10:31pm
kingpleb

Oh well that's tomorrow night sorted I guess Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #127628 25th Jun 2012 10:54pm
kingpleb

Well the handbrake adjustment worked, FYI to tighten then you need to flick down and not up Smile

I think the cable is shagged So is going to be replaced by a garage with the cv boot.

The bulb I'll do tonight as it requires the headlamp to be removed from what I can see Sad

The bushes I honestly can't feel a difference side to side either when the car is on the ground or the wheel is in the air Sad

Guess I'll just get ready with the ky Crying or Very sad FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #127917 27th Jun 2012 10:42am
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

See my off topic post on council MOTs 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #128710 1st Jul 2012 10:01am
kingpleb

I did cheers noddy but they weren't open yesterday and booked till Wednesday Sad

Went another place that was local and chatted about tuning and track cars while they mot'd it and it passed with only an advisory for 70% worn front pads Thumbs Up so jobs a good en as they say Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #128756 1st Jul 2012 2:09pm
paulmoran2

England 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Mariana Black
Help with part number

Hello Gents. Had an MOT advisory that I need to get round to sorting, but not sure what the tester meant so wondered if anybody could enlighten me on the part name / number. I understand the dust cover may not be separate part, so an assembly may need to be purchased.

Offside front upper (Ball-joint) Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint dust cover deteriorated, but preventing ingress of dirt at this time (2.4.G.2)

Thanks

Paul

Post #236605 23rd Jan 2014 12:19pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

The linkage are the bars that run vertically joining the roll bar end to the strut just below the air bag amd don't have dust seals .... At least they didn't on mine. Don't understand that one personally V8 or else ...

Post #236630 23rd Jan 2014 3:22pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

They do have dust seals

Click image to enlarge

But they are dead cheap and easy to change on the drive with just a couple of spanners. No jacking required..... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #236697 23rd Jan 2014 8:46pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

i believe that the ball joint gaiter/dust cover is a recent, (this year?) addition to the test, so expect a few more fails this year than ever before, like the SRS light was last year. these VOSA whitecoats, have to justify their jobs, so they think up something every year! plus I also seem to remember reading that if a light is fitted it must work. ie front fogs etc. same as if the car has headlamp wash/squirters, they have to work too.
years ago, I had an old rover fail because one of the horns was 'out of tune' hit it with hammer, -sorted!

my 2p info

Post #236728 24th Jan 2014 12:31am
paulmoran2

England 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Mariana Black
Cheers northernmonkeyjones

Thanks for the great photo...looks like a fairly easy job to do. Very Happy

Post #236775 24th Jan 2014 11:21am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

kingpleb wrote:
I did cheers noddy but they weren't open yesterday and booked till Wednesday Sad

Went another place that was local and chatted about tuning and track cars while they mot'd it and it passed with only an advisory for 70% worn front pads Thumbs Up so jobs a good en as they say Smile

Will the first fail/advisory show on the online MOT record?

Post #236777 24th Jan 2014 11:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>