Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Test Drive of a TDV8 Vogue with Pictures.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black
Test Drive of a TDV8 Vogue with Pictures.

As you may or may not know, the FF Range Rovers have had an ongoing problem with the diffs blowing up due to a driveshaft quality issue. LandRover have finally recognised this and instead of doing a recall, which is bad for business, they have created the Range Rover Assurance Scheme whereby Range Rover owners are contacted by the dealership and then their older 3.0TD6 or 4.4V8 Range Rover has its driveshafts replaced for free. Land Rover have said that all owners will get a new Range Rover Vogue TDV8 for the day and this is how I came about it.

Firstly let's talk about the exterior. On the model I had there is very little difference to my own other than it had the Supercharged grill and vents (which I could fit on mine if I could be bothered, it is afterall a facelift model itself) This car also had the current standard Vogue 19" alloys which have grown on me a lot. Ironically it was also in Stornoway Grey with black leather (like the Disco 3 I had the previous weekend and disliked) but somehow the colour suits the bigger Range Rover better I felt.

The interior is very different to mine, the dash and centre console area has all been remodelled to take the newer 6 speed Auto that the Sport and D3 have already, terrain response etc. This car had black leather with the black dashboard and doors with Burr Walnut. First impressions? Stunning, up to date and modern compared to the older dash shape. better laid out and also they have finally replaced nonsensical icons on buttons for words that tell you exactly what it does...Nav, Phone, Settings etc. The same is true of the indicator and washer stalks, much more obvious. The same touch screen Nav is there with Hybrid TV, bluetooth (now with the phonebook ability) phone etc etc. Some of the smaller details have also changed such as the heating control nobs, the ability to switch the rear blowers on and off from the front and the ignition is now positioned to the left of the steering wheel in the dash itself.

There is now also a double cubby in front of the passenger with a nice double release set in the dash. Door cards have changed as have the seats, they no longer have the upper shoulder adjustment which I feel is a great shame, they made the seats really really comfortable, you can literally shape them to fit your body. They still have masses of adjustment though and the electonic lumbar has been improved, the 4 way paddle really does make it go where you want, much better. The leather of the seats is once again, beautiful, tight, smooth and supple, worlds apart from the D3 HSE I tried. Just look at the detailed stitching on it all, the picture of the rear centre armrest is a nice one to show it.

The one thing (other than the seat adjustment that is no longer there) that is also not the best I thought was the power socket position in the front, whereas it used to be to the front of the centre console (easy access for Roadangel etc) it's now in the ashtray right back on the front of the cubby, behind a flap. There's also another one in the cubby as before but the Roadangel cable is now going to stretch across the gear change area, not good I think.

There is now an iPod/AUX socket on the back of the centre cubby box which is a long time overdue.

OK< how does it drive?

Phenomenal! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I was blown away, I drove it all day to really get used to it, and overall did about 160 miles in it. Wow, that V8 is SOOOO smooth and yet quite growly when you floor it. Overtaking was a breeze, no need to get the Turbo wound up and ready to go as in the TD6, just dump the throttle and off it flies. The noise from the engine is amazing considering it's a diesel, it really does sound like a V8, sometimes really burbly and gruff, just how you'd want it to be. Pootling around town though is also a complete pleasure, smooth as you like, bags of torque, it's amazing how you weave a Range Rover through traffic! (NB: Lots of practice with one is clearly an advantage for me!)

This really IS the ULTIMATE RANGE ROVER, the one I have said since I was a kid that should be for sale, a big powerful diesel that can also be fairly frugal. I of course did not try to get the best MPG out of it as I was too busy enjoying the power delivery but I know I would get the same as I am currently getting with not too much trouble.

Driving this model has certainly made up my mind. The quality and solid feeling of the Range Rover far outweighs the potential additional cost compared to the Discovery 3 (which is still a great car). I spend a lot of time in my car, use it for all sorts of things (driving, shooting, fishing, logging, carrying etc etc) and this car does it with ease, comfort, class and distinction. The D3 would still do it all but you don't get any sense of occasion. I saw Top Gear the other night and JC said "When was the last time you just went for a drive?" he has it so right. This engine made me want to just go for a drive, purely for the enjoyment, it's that good.

Brilliant. Will I be buying one?

You bet your last pound I'll be trying my best! Very Happy Even Mrs RRUK said we should get it! HURRAY

Photos for your delectation:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

New Dash...

Click image to enlarge

Compared to old dash...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Last edited by RRUK on 29th Jul 2008 3:47pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #652 8th Jul 2008 9:26am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 

Photos thumbnailed properly Wink

Post #654 8th Jul 2008 7:46pm
jimmy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black
RRUK V8

yes rr, it is a great car, I have a V8 but 2007 build, has all the features except for the bluetooth address book. Is this a add on, or standard ,

Post #655 9th Jul 2008 12:37pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

Jimmy,

It's now standard, I'm sure the dealers can upload the latest version of the bluetooth software, probably at a small charge though but its a great feature to have, worth doing cos then you can flick through the phonebook from the steering wheel buttons and see who you are going to dial on the small readout in the dash area.

Shame you can't instigate the call though without having to press the button on the touchscreen hey? Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #656 9th Jul 2008 1:06pm
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

can't wait I'm going in on Tuesday for my prop and diff work,are you Sure that I'll get td8 vogue? If so it will have to be more than tripp to costco and back. Twisted Evil 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #658 9th Jul 2008 1:13pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

I was told that LandRover themselves made the decision about the loan car, whether or not your dealer carries it out might be a different matter. To make sure you get one, ring them NOW and tell them that's what you are expecting! Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #659 9th Jul 2008 3:40pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Great post and nice pics.

I thought that the MY 2006 onwards already had the updated front diff / drive shafts - or did I miss something???

RRUK what do you think to the 19" wheels, they look a little small - were they the correct 255-55-19 tyres, or had somebody miss sized them and put on 255-50-19 - which I have seen a few of - even in LR publicity photographs! I have seen this done a few times as the lower rolling radius improves acceleration somewhat - especially on a demo!

regards,

V

Post #660 9th Jul 2008 3:46pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

They were the standard wheels and I will admit, when they first came out I didn't like them, but they have grown on me and now I like them alot.

They were the correct tyre size 225-55-19.

Plenty of people seem to replace them with the Supercharger/Stormer or std 20" alloys. not sure what tyre size they use though Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #661 9th Jul 2008 6:14pm
axle

I happen to like the wheels but then I have a set Razz
Spoke to Taggarts of Glasgow today, that don't do ffrr on loan so it looks like I'm driving for 3 hours over the mountains just for an Censored Disco Big Cry 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.

Post #662 9th Jul 2008 8:59pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

Sorry, didn't see your reply.

That's bad luck indeed. Let us know what you thought of the Discovery 3. Did you read my thread in Off Topic about my weekend with one?

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post714.html#714 Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #715 29th Jul 2008 3:59pm
EDWARD757

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

"Taggerts dont loan FFRR..."
I went in there last week to ask about buying FFRRs and they really could not be less interested in my business - good to see they are falling over themselves with trade.
Shall not be darkening their doors again!
Kind regards,
Ed

Post #716 29th Jul 2008 4:39pm
axle

First to reply to EDWARD I know how you must feel my mother tried to change her XJ8 for another and just had to give up, no one was interested in taking her money , oh well times must be good!
Now back to RRUK, well aside from my disappointment at the loan car situation I do have a few thoughts on the Disco 3, you could just say that its progress but the engine, drive train and handling are uncanny for such a heavy old hector but after that its just woeful,it's too narrow in side despite it's width, the dash is made from weely bins and the seats suck.
but hay ho what do know. Rolling Eyes 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.

Post #717 29th Jul 2008 10:55pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Just had a TDV8 for the day with the new interior.

In summary :-

1). seats are a huge disappointment, the BMW seats are far supperior. The new "Ford" seats seem to be lower and lack upper body adjustment and support compared to the BMW versions. I just couldn't get comfortable. The Cooling function is great though.

2). Two gloveboxes is a vast improvement, but they feel cheap - couldn't they have made them feel a little more substantial, and the switch release opening is flimsy when compared to the old latch which clicks open and shut positively and firmly.

3). Hate the top of the new leather dash - too many angles, but I suppose they had to do it this way to accommodate the moved air bag and 2 glove boxes. The rest of the dash looks good and is well laid out.

4). New door linings - fantastic

5). clock looks cheap and tacky - bring back the old version

6). Electronic park brake - hate it - whats up with a normal handbrake?

7). cup holders fantastic

8. wheres the bloody VentureCam - I actually used it!

9). engine awsome - but doesn't sound like a V8 should!

Conclusion the BMW mothered FFRR is fantastic, the Ford mothered FFRR is in certain areas FORDish - apart from the engine! What happens after TATA have had their influence...

If it wasn't for the engine I wouldn't want to change!

Post #748 12th Aug 2008 12:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1