Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > L405 vs. L322
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

TBH, from what I've seen of the L405, and the general impression I get about TATA making the brand more trendy, I would rather buy a Porsche Cayenne. If I am going to compromise the very thing which makes the RR brand so appealing then one might as well have something which drives more like a car, has supercar performance, German build quality, is significantly more reliable and is cheaper to buy in the first place.

L405 = Too expensive, Too much like a soft roader, too effin "Victoria effin Beckam" and just doesn't keep the traditional LR and RR values from what I see so far.

I get that things change, one has only to look at the evolution from Classic through P38 to L322. All good stuff.

But Snort? C'mon, that's a DISCO4 in a dress. So it's a Discovery Sport before the branding a-holes got hold of it.
Evoque? Yeah, that's a Freelander Sport, again before the branding people got hold.

And now it seems, very sadly, L405 will go the same way. I really hope that I'm very badly wrong or it will be a truly sad day for the RR brand.

Post #134719 7th Aug 2012 9:16am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

mzplcg wrote:
I really hope that I'm very badly wrong or it will be a truly sad day for the RR brand.

The "brand" is the problem, but I agree - if you want something sporty and flash, you can buy something sporty and flash.

40+ years of "brand" will be gone in one model generation and the Chinese and Russians will just move on to the next thing when there's something newer and trendier and more tasteless on offer.

The sales figures will inevitably prove me to be in a tiny minority, but ...

Post #134722 7th Aug 2012 9:34am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

remember when production of the ford cortina finished and ford introduced the jelly mould sierra, everyone slated that and said it was ugly but it wasnt long before all cars looked that way..
what i have see of the l405 so far [which aint a lot tbh] is that its ugly as well but wait till you see it in the flesh adn driving down the road ,i bet it wont be long before you start thinking that you want one.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #134723 7th Aug 2012 9:43am
Philip

I don't think anyone with reservations is resisting change (the L322 was a big change, and an extremely successful one).

Post #134724 7th Aug 2012 9:53am
CSK

France 2013 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

Thing is the L322 is a brilliant modern interpretation of the classic Range Rover, I don't think people will say that of the L405. It will be lighter, faster, will drive more like a car but do we want a Range Rover to drive like a "SUV" or normal car : no!
I completely agree with "mzplcg"'s comments.
But of course I do hope I'm completely wrong and that we will marvel at the car once it will be unveiled... but I'm in doubt!

Post #134725 7th Aug 2012 10:00am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Trommel wrote:
I don't think anyone with reservations is resisting change (the L322 was a big change, and an extremely successful one).

Absolutely!! I love change, especially when it improves things. And let's be honest, L322 is a superlative vehicle, no questions. It took the updated view of the world which P38 did but BMW did a far better job of engineering in those updates to make it the most reliable RR ever.

However, it does have it's foibles. I could easily live without the wiper thud, which essentially comes from a poorly designed windscreen. That old ZF 6HP28 box is in need of a refresh too, especially the BS around it being filled for life. There are plenty of issues which could have been addressed, but the whole thing about basing it on the Jag XJ floorpan is only cost cutting. If it were not, the technical merits of sharing a floorpan between a luxury saloon and a luxury 4x4 would have been in evidence before now, for example, Porsche would not have taken Tourag technology for Cayenne, they'd have based it on 911 with taller suspension.

It's all this cost cutting while making it look trendy which are going to turn FFRR into a tart's handbag for me. And once the filthy rich Russians tire of it, perhaps moving to the new Bentley.....meh, FFRR will cease to exist.

If it loses capability, panache and that certain understated Englishness in the name of money chasing bling then the FFRR will never survive such a departure from CSK's core values. Improve it, yes, update it, by all means, but people are still buying L322 in quantities. Remember, Classic managed 25 years with only updates through time. L322 has 15 years to go then by my reckoning.

Post #134775 7th Aug 2012 2:58pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 

So BMW didn't cost-cut the L322 by building it around E38 and E39 architecture then? Confused

Post #134780 7th Aug 2012 3:10pm
steviebabes

England 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Epsom Green

I shall have to abstain on the looks of the L405.

I am so old-fashioned that I only ever seem to like the older model of anything. I couldn't move from my P38 to that ugly L322. Then, six months ago, as the L322 was approaching discontinuation, I decided I loved its looks and bought one. I used to hate the bland, smooth Bentley Arnage. But now, 14 years after it was launched, and 3 years after deletion, I now quite fancy cherishing an example from around 2002.

Cars take a while to win me over, but at least I'll never get bitten by first-year depreciation! Mr. Green 2003 4.4 HSE Epsom Green / Sand. Lovely!

Post #134781 7th Aug 2012 3:35pm
Philip

The platform thing - it apparently has a unique bulkhead, suspension subframes and seating position, but I wonder if the (undesirable) Sport-style high console is related to the shared floorpan.

mzplcg wrote:
If it loses capability, panache and that certain understated Englishness in the name of money chasing bling

LR gave up on that a while back - look at a D4 next to an early D3, 2010 vs 2002 RR, recent limited-edition Defenders, DC100 etc. (I won't even mention the Evoque).

Post #134786 7th Aug 2012 4:29pm
Java Jungle

Monaco 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Nara Bronze

CSK wrote:
I think as a keeper, the 5L Supercharged Autobiography is the one to have.
Not sure about Diesels as a long-term ownership as they are more complicated and the 5L is kind of the ultimate engine and will be regarded as such in future.

Was thinking about it CSK, there are some 1year old with few miles on the clock for good money. I'm using it alot between Monaco and Switzerland and currently I manage both ways with one filling, one way is aprox. 380KM. With a Supercharge I'd probably would need two fillings..I'm open for suggestions Whistle But for the moment I want to wait and see the new one Rolling Eyes

JJ

Post #134799 7th Aug 2012 6:59pm
CSK

France 2013 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

Yes I'm sure you do but petrol is way cheaper than diesel in Switzerland so if you fill it right up before going back to your tax heaven I'm sure there won't be a lot in it costwise! Very Happy

Post #134859 7th Aug 2012 10:17pm
Phil.

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I've seen several L405's on the road recently in a range of colours. They were all being driven hard and seem to be very stable at speed. The overall look is impressive, almost aggressive and in keeping with the current model when on the move. Can't comment on the lights other than to say the horizontal LED's built in to the headlights look good. I'm waiting until after the launch before deciding whether to pick up a late current model or go for a new one.

Post #135190 9th Aug 2012 8:41pm
Simes

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

All cars now have these LED daylight running lamps, is it just me or do they nearly all look like a council house at Christmas with them on?

Post #135199 9th Aug 2012 8:56pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

The L322 is still the most expensive car developed by a "British" manufacturer at 2 billion.

Wonder what they have spent on the L405 ?

The BMW board told the Engineers to go and build a 4x4 Bentley, which is what they did in my opinion. 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #135203 9th Aug 2012 9:04pm
Simes

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

mjdronfield wrote:

Wonder what they have spent on the L405 ?

The cost of a couple of spray tans for Mrs Beckham...

Post #135204 9th Aug 2012 9:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>