Home > Technical (L322) > Diesel fuel additive
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
nightster1

Ireland 2004 Range Rover HSE Td6 Epsom Green
Diesel fuel additive

Re:- 2004 RR TD6

Hi, I wonder do any of you use fuel additive? I bought my TD6 new in 2004. Mileage now 124K. I've been using Dipethane regularly, however my LR qualified mechanic recommends mixing 2 litres of veg oil per fill (90 litres). It's supposed to be great for the injectors, particularly beneficial for short journeys. The mix is too lean to clog filters or react with common rail. I'm using this mix for 1000 miles now without any probs

Post #137080 21st Aug 2012 8:34pm
Laurie915

Australia 2010 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Always use an additive here in Oz as fuel quality varies so much. I don't know about vegetable oil though ! Most vegetable oils are magnets for moisture. Here the oil companies can put bio in the fuel up to 9% and say nothing !!!! after that they have to tell the consumer that it contains bio. I don't know how your diesel is, BUT why take a chance, And I only fill up at high usage garages as newer diesel blends deteriorate after a short period. This is because of the way the fuel is now cracked the companies get more litres per tonne of crude, but quality is down.Many I have spoken with follow the old tradition of adding a cup of old ATF to the fuel tank every now and then for lubrication of fuel pumps etc.
Personally I would find a good additive with lube qualities also and stick with it.

Laurie

Post #137817 26th Aug 2012 6:34am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Just run a few tanks of BioD thru it and it will clean the system out. Oh and don't forget to change the filter as well afterwards Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #137822 26th Aug 2012 9:18am
47p2

Scotland 

Stick a bottle of Forte diesel treatment into it once a year

Post #137824 26th Aug 2012 9:31am
Contraband

Scotland 

Does anyone still use redex? Asda were selling it off a while ago, I bought 4 big bottles. I put it in when I remember, which is twice a year.. Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #137826 26th Aug 2012 9:43am
47p2

Scotland 

I stick the occasional bottle of Redex in the tank

Post #137828 26th Aug 2012 10:02am
roger 47

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Ipanema Sand

I'm new to this forum, transfered from the Disco3 site as I'm collecting my 06 TD6 Vogue on Thurday.
I've had my D3 manual for 5 years and over the last 18 months, 10,000 miles, I've been putting 200/250 ml of 2 stoke oil in with every tank full of diesel. All I can say is that it transformed the cars performance. The engine was crisp and smooth, the noise level reduced and the mpg was raised by easily 3 to 4 mpg. On a run to High Wycombe which is all motorway I was returning 38 to 39 mpg at a speed of approx 60 to 65 mph. Where I live on Exmoor I was getting 31 to 32 mpg travelling to Taunton or Tiverton through country lanes. Now I know that some people have tried 2so and not noticed a difference, indeed I tried it in my wifes Freelander 2 and to my mine I didn't notice any improvement. So I will consider using 2so in the TD6, probably putting in a smaller amount to begin with and seeing if any improvement in noticeable. If no improvement is noticeable then I will not use it.
As far as mixing, they are both oils and therefore will mix. I used mineral 2so as opposed to synthetic, there is a debate as to which is best but I chose mineral. As far as the MOT emissions, I had no problems with it passing.
I can only tell you what I experienced and there many others that may disagree or not feel comfortable using it.

Post #137838 26th Aug 2012 1:42pm
nightster1

Ireland 2004 Range Rover HSE Td6 Epsom Green

Laurie915 wrote:
Always use an additive here in Oz as fuel quality varies so much. I don't know about vegetable oil though ! Most vegetable oils are magnets for moisture. Here the oil companies can put bio in the fuel up to 9% and say nothing !!!! after that they have to tell the consumer that it contains bio. I don't know how your diesel is, BUT why take a chance, And I only fill up at high usage garages as newer diesel blends deteriorate after a short period. This is because of the way the fuel is now cracked the companies get more litres per tonne of crude, but quality is down.Many I have spoken with follow the old tradition of adding a cup of old ATF to the fuel tank every now and then for lubrication of fuel pumps etc.
Personally I would find a good additive with lube qualities also and stick with it.

Laurie
Good Solid Advice, thanks. My LR mechanic swears by the veg oil though. He drew his conclusion by stripping down the injectors after 10K miles running a 45:1 mix veg oil and diesel.

Post #137966 27th Aug 2012 2:36pm
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

I use the redex , does seem to clean the injectors as get a smoother response after using it. Get mine at Costco (4 x 500ml bottles for @£10 if I remember - pay that for 1 bottle anywhere else - they do both the diesel & petrol versions). I'm now looking at the TSL oil additive which has just hit this forum coming over from the disco4 one...
http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic12890.html

My brother-in-law tried it in his D4 and said his engine was noticeably quieter and there are also claims of 1mpg improvements. Not cheap but relative to what I spend on fuel, it's for nothing if it does what it claims. Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #137987 27th Aug 2012 4:41pm
Contraband

Scotland 

Oh no... Here we go again Shocked Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #138014 27th Aug 2012 6:19pm
Bob the B

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Santorini Black

@RRVSE Going a bit off topic but Im sure this TSL oil additive has been mentioned before, so if anyone wants to use this its upto the individual.

@Contraband My thoughts exactly Rolling Eyes Laughing

Post #138017 27th Aug 2012 6:23pm
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

@Bob the B : Don't quite get you Bob, it's always up to the individual, it's just the forum is a good way to find out what experiences others have had or think of something , hence this thread about diesel additives? I couldn't find TSL when I searched the forum (except for the new post by the guy selling it) ,hence my semi-related question on this post to see if anyone else had used it etc.
Ta Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #138862 31st Aug 2012 11:33pm
Bob the B

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Santorini Black

The last time TSL was mentioned there was a bit of a dispute between a couple of forum members. I think the topic might have been deleted now.

Thats why Contraband quote "Oh no... Here we go again" (I think)

I was in no way having a go at you RRVSE Very Happy

Post #138863 1st Sep 2012 6:00am
Contraband

Scotland 

Thumbs Up Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #138877 1st Sep 2012 8:52am
Budgie

Scotland 

I used to use Millers Diesel Power Plus in my 300 TDi Disco.
I can't say I noticed any difference in the MPG or power as I was using it to protect the injector pump after the sulphur content was reduced in diesel, so I wasn't really looking at other effects.
I used it for years and the Disco always started on the first turn of the key, and that was with 150k miles on the clock.

Something else to throw into the mix. Wink 

Post #138890 1st Sep 2012 11:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>