Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 2009 Range Rover TDV8 MY 2010 Bio Diesel Yes or NO?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

For what it is worth : Based on the limited internet research that I have done sofar, I would run a FFRR diesel (TD6, TDV8, TDV6, SDV8) on 100% bio (I would be looking at keeping the car for a long time anyway). I found very little problems that could actually be linked to the use of bio and the cost and benefit to the environment are substantial. I actually read a few benefits of running bio, such as smoother/better running, cleaning effect on the fuel system (hence less wear and longer life ??)

If I were you, try to find as much "reliable" information on bio the pros and cons related to the engine as you can and then decide. Look specifically for the type of problems you can expect and whether the risk can be perceived as high, medium, low. Look at the estimated cost of repair if any etc. etc. etc.

Being in a high risk / high cost industry has taught me a few things about risk management. The thing is to go for ALARP (As Low As Reasonably Practical) and look at the consequences, not just worst case but also mild case and their cost. As long as it does not jeopardize your or others safety in any way and it is only cost, then it becomes just a simple calculation of cost versus benefits.

By the way if you add 2so, try to use the environmentally friendly stuff used for chainsaws Smile MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #149027 31st Oct 2012 8:40am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Cheers Eb Smile

The Bio does certainly clean and this in itself can cause problems as the amount of gel/gunk that builds up in a tank can be shocking. Marine systems have to use biocides in diesel tanks for this reason! A tiny amount of petrol does the same affect though and is good for cold climes anyway Smile

The lubbing affect can also be good(not too dis-similar from 2so but comes off quicker) so the 2so addition helps longer term Smile

The biggest 2 advantages by far for me are,

1 Engine runs a little quiter than any other TD6 AND smokes little to nothing on full bore. EVER!
2 i dont put any extra CO2 back into the air than the plant had already absorbed in its life Smile

Also being made correctly is the best thing to look for as some makers are very lazy and happy to leave cack in the mix which is never good! FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #149047 31st Oct 2012 11:00am
Cash2

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Santorini Black

Hi KingPleb

Where do you buy your Bio from is it in London??
Thanks

Post #149068 31st Oct 2012 1:34pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Sorry its up in Manchester Sad

Have a bit of a trawl around the net and you will find suppliers local to you. The price varies and dont forget to check the quality and ask other users of it if you can. Vegetableoildiesel forum is good Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #149073 31st Oct 2012 1:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12