Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Extra intercooler
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ahebron

New Zealand 
Extra intercooler

Those of us who own a TD6 will be aware that the lh side of the engine bay on RHD cars has a bit of space.
Now I am looking at getting a factory intercooler back on my TD6 but have been thinking about putting another intercooler in series and placing it in the lh side of the engine bay. I am aware there is not a lot of airflow behind the headlight but surely something is better than nothing. Would the extra I/C be of benefit or detriment to engine. At present I have a Cosworth Sierra I/C fitted and it is smaller than the factory one. I fitted this because I had it and the original one split. I would probably fit the Cosworth one in series.

Adrian VW Amarok 2014 Highline auto

Post #142277 21st Sep 2012 1:54am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

TBH an IC needs a good flow of air to cool it down.

A better idea would be to use it as an area to place a water bottle and pump and set some ultrafine misters infront of the IC to cool it down. getting the finest water droplets you possibly can produce is critical though as otherwise you end up soaking the IC far too much and wasting the water.

Also if temps stay pretty warm where you are stick one infront of the section of rad that cools the transmisson oil as well to help that live a little longer Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #142293 21st Sep 2012 10:16am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

If you fit an additional intercooler fit a motorcycle radiator cooling fan in front of it, it'll work then. Wink

Post #142296 21st Sep 2012 10:42am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

While cooling the charge is obviously never bad, additional gains by simply adding an intercooler will be marginal at best - even if the IC lowers the temp significantly. You'll need a custom (bespoke) tuning map to take advantage of the cooler charge and make a significant difference. And you'll need to assure good cooling (large surface area IC with good airflow) w/o significantly increasing the volume of the intake air between the turbo and the cyl head. Both will not be inexpensive to do properly.

I'd just suggest getting a chip tune (reprogram) done and calling it a day. This can be had at moderate cost and with terrific results. 200BHP or even 218BHP are doable and, in contrast to the little 2.5 M51 D in the P38, the M57 in the TD6 is nearly indestructible.

And it makes a huge difference. Ask me how I know Whistle

Laughing 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #142310 21st Sep 2012 11:35am
ahebron

New Zealand 

Also if temps stay pretty warm where you are stick one infront of the section of rad that cools the transmisson oil as well to help that live a little longer

Interesting as my transmission cooler is water cooled and bolted to the side of the engine or am I missing something here?

And Steve yes I have one of those but I still have the Cosworth I/C which is smalller so need to fit an original to try get the levels up.

Adrian VW Amarok 2014 Highline auto

Post #142317 21st Sep 2012 11:51am
kingpleb

I keep forgetting that bit Very Happy It may help keep the fluid going back into the box that bit cooler though and make it last longer. its only really designed to get the oil warmer quicker and i think its been mentioned on here before its very tight on temp limits and if the engine is running very hot but not overheating the gbox fluid is out of range and will begin to degrade? FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #142337 21st Sep 2012 12:57pm
ambulancekidd

Scotland 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Oslo Blue

I carried out an improvement on my old Discovery by adding a second intercooler & the difference it made was impressive. I had more oomph when towing our caravan uphill especially on long inclines & it improved the fuel economy by 2 or 3 mpg, all of this was done without tweaking the fuel pump as my Discovery was an auto & had an early electronic fuel delivery setup which I didn't want to disturb.
Robert.
Oh incidently the cooler on the top is a gearbox oil cooler, the other intercooler is mounted next to the radiator.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  The reason women's minds are cleaner than a mans mind is that women change their minds more often!
When women say fine a mans in deep doodoo as fine has so many meanings.

Post #142372 21st Sep 2012 6:17pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Simply chipping or turning up the fuelling will massively increase your exhaust gas temperatures (EGT's), and high EGT's eventually take your head gasket out or worse.

Chip, by all means, but fit an EGT'S gauge and know the limits. A larger intercooler will really help lower EGT's. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #142377 21st Sep 2012 6:29pm
kingpleb

Or aquamist to reduce EGT's as well.... FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #142398 21st Sep 2012 8:29pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

ahebron wrote:
And Steve yes I have one of those but I still have the Cosworth I/C which is smalller so need to fit an original to try get the levels up.

Oh yes - I remember - and I need to remember to read through posts completely before opening my virtual yap... Embarassed

Not an easy solution, then.

One route I had wanted to go with my P38 was to have an IC built to my specs. I had wanted to go down from the original IC to get larger. Problem is, on the L322 there is hardly any direction to go from a stock location. IC cores can be bought in various sizes, cut to the exact size needed and a competent radiator shop can make appropriate end caps and weld them on. If you use the end caps from your original IC as a starting point, you'll have the proper hose fittings and possibly mounting surfaces to boot. Just how to get larger, tho...

Interesting site w/good info too http://www.bellintercoolers.com/

Bellini wrote:
Chip, by all means, but fit an EGT'S gauge and know the limits. A larger intercooler will really help lower EGT's.

Or just go to a reputable re-mapper... Razz 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #142399 21st Sep 2012 8:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1