Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 2010 TDV8 4.4 Fuel guage playing up.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Geoff Hurst

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Java Black
2010 TDV8 4.4 Fuel guage playing up.

Ok, thought it best to show queary as a timeline showing issues ‘ actions…
14 Oct 21 Find fuel guage needle at 1/4 having just filled 80L 1 day ago doing approx 10m
19 Oct Booked in local LR indie garage to have sender unit in tank under back seal cable connectors repaired (LR service/fault) £200 (garage tell me was very difficult to sort as a part of sender unit broke while trying to reinstall it and the had to locally manufacture something to get it back in place - quite common apparently)
Dec 21 Noticed after 1st fill up since repair, distance to empty not synced with guage needle reading as I remember from pre fault?
Jan 19 22 Filled up for only 2nd time since repair to find distance to empty reading down about 60 mile as normal reading - then after driving for about a further 40/50 mile, gauge needle still at full position and distance empty down about 40/50m level, which is in sync with my actual number of miles driven.
So question is.. what’s going on with the guage reading as it’s still calculating distance to empty readings - albeit lower than before.
Jan 20 Rang garage who said all they done was take sender unit out, snip off the cable connectors and crimp cables (As per LR advisory) and put it back - albeit a bit broken, and quote me £450 + vat for a new LR one.. - plus fitting.
My thoughts are:-
Are there any other cheaper equivalent ones - Advanced Factors etc
Am I being mugged off?
What’s the groups thoughts???
Thanks in advance.

Post #620764 21st Jan 2022 1:06pm
Jayk69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

I had this issue when i got mine. I watched the mechanic remove the sender repair the wires (He did all of them) and re-fit. considering he was up to his elbows in diesel (It was 3/4 full) in all it took him an hour to do the job and did not break anything. this was just over a year ago.
As for a new part i would probably go for genuine just because of where it is and the hassle of doing it.
when he did the repair everything went back to normal as soon as i started the car. 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery V8 (LPG) - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #620812 21st Jan 2022 4:50pm
Bingo_123

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

dont think there are any cheaper alternatives, try island4x4, usually they are cheaper.
also ask AdvancedFactors and DuckworthParts, they might give a discount as both being site sponsors

you arent being mugged off as it costs this much only, but ideally a reputable place should be able to guarantee their work for a year or so.
lots of people had this problem and got sorted after getting rid of connectors, so maybe some connection/wire is still loose down there.

when there is min fuel in tank, just open it up and check yourself. its not very hard job to DIY

Post #620830 21st Jan 2022 6:31pm
Geoff Hurst

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Java Black
Reply to Gary at Advanced Factors, can’t send PM’s yet!

Hi Gary, thanks for the pm, so drove car a few miles today, and I think the guage needle has started to move, however considering “I filled up to rim”, the miles to empty numbers don’t sync with a. What they read when full previously.. and, b. Where the guage needle should be considering I’ve now done approximately 110m.
Going to run as low to empty as I dare and refill to rim again and see what the numbers say.?

Post #620841 21st Jan 2022 8:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1