Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Careful who you buy from
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
47p2

Scotland 
Careful who you buy from

I'm sure I read about this FFRR somewhere on these pages and at the time it was sitting around the £6k mark.

Now for anyone interested in bidding for the above FFRR have a read at this thread on PH first Shocked

Post #148656 28th Oct 2012 4:49pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Barge - Pole.... Research any potential purchase and always always buyer beware! FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #148692 28th Oct 2012 7:37pm
roger 47

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Ipanema Sand

I've had Range Rovers, Discovery's and the wife has had Freelanders since the late eighties. Now that I've just drawn my first state pension I no longer have the desire to go round various outlets looking for the ultimate bargain.
So when I get asked where to buy I now always suggest the LR main dealer. We all have to work to a budget but if you can put that little extra in then the safe guards a LR main dealer gives you is a great comfort.
Yes you do pay a premium on the price it's being sold for but you do get the protection the law gives you. I've used 3 out of the 5 main dealers in the southwest and they have all been very co operative and accommodating. I've always ask for a full set of rubber mats including the load area, a tow bar for the caravan plus the extra number plate, 6 months road tax and anything that is not as it should be to bring the vehicle up to excellent condition.
I have never been refused what I have asked for within reason. LR also have a tyre policy of 4mm. All the vehicles I've have purchased, have had four new tyres fitted.
Also their used car warranty scheme and roadside assistance is run by LR. They have two schemes, one is for vehicles under 3 years old, which is almost identical to the new vehicle warranty and the other under ten years old which is less generous but still quite comprehensive. I must admit I have only ever used their warranty twice, once for a broken door lock on my Discovery 3 and then a callout for the wifes Freelander flat battery.
So the way I look at it, is that, for the extra you pay, if the vehicle is not perfect then ask for it to be perfect, plus the extra bits, you will get value for the asking price plus a very good warranty. An added bonus is the good 45 minutes of pampering from the sales guy until you sign on the dotted line and hand over the cash.

Post #148873 29th Oct 2012 10:00pm
Mikeyjd

Wales 2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Zambezi Silver

Interesting post Roger. I would like to have considered buying from a main dealer but the nearest to me looked down their nose when I asked if they do anything older than the ones on display. Seems like anything older than 3 years or so gets sent to auction or whatever.

I was in the market for a fair bit older. I acquired an 8 year old car from an independent in the end and traded in my old Discovery. No longer FF owner but still interested. Present car Jaguar XE

Previous car Td6 SE

Previous LR- Disco 300TDi Auto

Post #149208 31st Oct 2012 10:45pm
47p2

Scotland 

I went into my local Land Rover dealer when I was looking for a FFRR only to be told that anything older the 5 years was not sold on the premises but sold to a dealer who took them all from them

Post #149215 31st Oct 2012 11:23pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

An interesting slant on main dealership experience.
Mine isn't quite so positive! Any time I go into my local showroom, the place is deserted and the salesmen show absolutely no interest in me whatsoever, in fact, if I was invisible I would get more attention. This despite the fact I've rolled up in an FF, which is clear for all to see!

Maybe I just dont give off the "I'm here to buy vibe"? Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #149225 31st Oct 2012 11:34pm
roger 47

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Ipanema Sand

In general yes you are right they tend not to sell the older vehicle. But what I have found is that if a vehicle is part ex with FLRH and reasonable mileage they will forecourt it. I've just purchased a 06 vogue td6 with 46000 mls from LR dealer in Bristol. Took delivery at the end of August. At the same time there was a FF 4.2 SC 06 reg with 43000mls at LR dealer in Exeter that I was looking at. I will admit they don't come up very often and so you need to track the LR dealers web sites but they do appear.
As for their attitude, yes some can be snooty but at present I have not come across it here as opposed to the dealers in London where I did have it once, but that's life. Censored to them.

Post #149231 31st Oct 2012 11:44pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

The same dealership I referred to in my first post told me they never take SCs in part exchange, as there's no market for them in Scotland apparently. Or maybe that explains why nobody buys from them! Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #149233 31st Oct 2012 11:48pm
dave699

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Continuing positive dealership experience...

My local dealership have been great, bought my 2007 from there. Didn't feel like I was treated any differently from someone buying a brand new one. I felt like they understood I was at my maximum 'comfort' budget. To be honest I never thought I would ever spend more than £10-12k on a car. When I drove mine, the first Range Rover I've ever driven, I was completely smitten. Suddenly I understood the leap in comfort and quality I was making. I knew that the price reflected my new absolute maximum I was willing to spend on a car!

The guy that deals with me on the service desk is very knowledgeable. Yesterday I collected my car, tailgate replaced under warranty, we got talking about the car in general and I explained how pleased I was with it. He said he would love to own one but financially it was impossible for him. Which is my point, a lot of the staff in the dealerships won't be owners.
The sales staff sell across the range, Freelanders to Fullfats, which represents a broad perspective of customers with differing budgets.

The same guy talked me out of an inspection 2 which I was willing to have done on the basis that twelve months had elapsed since last service, he said let the car tell you when the service is due. It would have been so easy to carry out the work and take the money.

Previously I took the time to write to the dealer principal and the head office and share my opinions, credit where credit is due.

My faith in main dealers is almost restored after some very bad experiences with other marques' dealerships... 
Had it, loved it!
2007 Vogue SE TDV8
Stornoway Grey / Ivory
Climatic Seats, RSE, AFS, Deployable steps, iPod kit.

Post #149260 1st Nov 2012 9:36am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Just steer well clear of the finance repossession CAT D type sellers. Plenty out there via Independent Dealers and private sales.

Post #149266 1st Nov 2012 10:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1