Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > V8 v TD6 buying used?!?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Sit

United Kingdom 
V8 v TD6 buying used?!?

Good evening,

I will shortly be in the market to purchase an L322 Range Rover, which i have lusted over for sometime. My dilemma is as follows - at present it will be my car however due to working only 10 mins from home i tend to cycle and only use my car evenings and weekends. My wife currently has a fully expensed company car with which she is entitled to use it for personal use, if we live our town we tend to take her car as the fuel etc. is covered.

I have been trying to weigh up buying a lower mileage V8 against a higher mileage TD6, i have between 11k and 15k to spend on one and i am finding it hard to distinguish what sort of mileage i would need to do in the TD6 to justify buying a diesel. I would estimate my annual mileage to be around 7k miles. With my budget the diesels are tending to have circa 90-100k on and the petrols are around 60k-70k.

As this year progresses we are also hoping to start a family, at which point i believe my wife's company will take her car back when she is on maternity leave (if someone could clarify that i would be grateful?) so the Range Rover will become our sole car and hence see more use by her.

Taking all things into account i would welcome some opinions on whether i would be better off going for a V8 or TD6 - at the moment i am doing so much reading and researching i am just going round in circles!

Also is there anything else i need to consider from an ownership point of view between the V8 and TD6 i.e servicing costs?

Kind regards and thanks in advance

Si

Post #11041 13th Jan 2010 10:11pm
nbunney

United Kingdom 

Sit

Good luck in your quest.

Check with stealer / indi for service costs and work it out.

If poss. get 1 from a dealer, with LR warrenty.

Ref. wife's company car, if she has told the company she is going back she should be able to keep the car. But check, as her contract may not say that.

Post #11044 13th Jan 2010 10:21pm
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

You might get a lower mileage later petrol model against a higher mileage diesel, if fuel consumtion is not a major issue then a petrol is going to be the better deal in my opinion, good luck with what ever you choose, you will love it what ever Thumbs Up

Post #11046 13th Jan 2010 10:25pm
Sit

United Kingdom 

nbunney - thanks for that i have just been browsing LR used area of the website and it seems if i stretch an extra couple of thousand there a few examples i can buy through them. Seem to be several contenders on Auto Trader as well but dubious about buying from 'Fred in a Shed' if you know what i mean?!? Thanks for the heads up on the missuses car she is thumbing through it now....

When looking at used examples, if it has full Land Rover history is it possible to call the dealer with reg and VIN to check whats been done etc. or will they not release that info??

Envoy - i don't think fuel consumption will be a massive issue but concerned if i plump for the petrol and it does become an issue then i will kick myself for not getting the TD6 in the first place and potentially loose cash changing it. Are there any real world around town figures to give me an idea??

I guess if i go for the TD6 i can't really loose, it gets me into a FFRR which is what i want and i know it will be giving me better economy than a V8.

Si

Post #11049 13th Jan 2010 10:34pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

If you had posted a week ago you could have bought my mint condition TD6 Vogue with 90K on it for less. Shame!

the 4.4V8 will give you 16-19mpg, the TD6 will give you 21-27mpg. Price to fill up is almost identical, not sure if the servicing costs are any different overall. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #11050 13th Jan 2010 10:34pm
ENVOY

my td6 is driven on a weekly basis around country lanes and returns me around 19 to 22 mpg i would always have a diesel over a petrol but thats just my prefererence, i do think however that they hold there value better in the long run, if i were to go for a petrol i would have the SC but not on your budget!

Post #11051 13th Jan 2010 10:38pm
nbunney

United Kingdom 

You could always get a TD6 and get it chiped. Rolling with laughter

Is that not right Adam? Whistle

Post #11052 13th Jan 2010 10:41pm
Sit

United Kingdom 

RRUK - funny enough i was reading your thread earlier - stunning RR by the way, love that colour! I am not quite in a position to buy yet just finalising the sale on my current car but spending my time wisely by doing all the research in advance. I like the torque that the diesel gives you and after reading your experiences with JE it sounds even more promising - sounds like that made a massive difference.

Thanks for the figures Envoy seems pretty reasonable to be honest what does a tank cost at the moment to fill up and roughly what range does it give you?

Si

Post #11054 13th Jan 2010 10:44pm
Sit

United Kingdom 

nbunney wrote:
You could always get a TD6 and get it chiped. Rolling with laughter

Is that not right Adam? Whistle

Spooky.......just as i was typing about it! Nbunney you got yours done??

Si

Post #11055 13th Jan 2010 10:44pm
ENVOY

Quote:
what does a tank cost at the moment to fill up and roughly what range does it give you[/img]

From empty to full costs about £100 and gives about 400 to 500 miles i think Rolling Eyes

Post #11056 13th Jan 2010 10:47pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Sit wrote:
RRUK - funny enough i was reading your thread earlier - stunning RR by the way, love that colour!

Where were you a week ago !!! Big Cry Big Cry

Not many people like the green, I still love it. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #11057 13th Jan 2010 10:47pm
nbunney

United Kingdom 

Yes had my TD6 done and then had it re-programmed for the TDV8.

We are not allowed to advertise / promote on here, are we Adam Whistle

But mine came very from a company who have their head office is very very close to me. Thumbs Up

Post #11058 13th Jan 2010 10:48pm
Sit

United Kingdom 

Envoy - that seems pretty good to me, back along I was running a SAAB 9-3 Aero cab which cost about £55 to fill up and just managed 200 odd miles!!!

RRUK - that surprises me I thought it was lovely, if you don't mind me being cheeky would you PM what sort of money it went for so I have a 'yard stick' so to speak??

Nbunney - what were your thoughts on the TD6's response to the chip??

Apologies to the mods if I have broken any rules by mentioning a name in an earlier post Whistle newbie you see....

Si

Post #11062 13th Jan 2010 10:59pm
nbunney

United Kingdom 

Best thing I and I am sure Adam as well, ever did, even if they were from different companies

Post #11063 13th Jan 2010 11:02pm
ENVOY

Quote:
what were your thoughts on the TD6's response to the chip
I think it would of preferred boiled potatoes Laughing sorry Wink

Post #11064 13th Jan 2010 11:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>