Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Location of light control module ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
steptoe

England 
Location of light control module ?

Location of light control module on a 2002 Vogue, V8 4.4.
Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

I seem to remember from a previous thread (i've tried searching but i'll be Censored if i can find it) that it's located in the drivers footwell... Is this correct?.

I've got one indicator (sometimes front left, other times rear right) intermitantly flashing, , the indicator dash lights don't flash and no audible "clicking" noise. But all the other indicators are working perfectly.
Then a few hours later everything is fine.

This is a reoccuring problem, no dampness or water in the rear compartments, and the battery is fine.

Googling the problem it seems to have happened to quiet a few others. But no one has posted a cure.

Post #153803 27th Nov 2012 11:01am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

The LCM is located on the RH 'A' post, behind the trim panel. The LCM is connected to the vehicle wiring harness
with three multiplugs.
The LCM receives two permanent battery power supplies via the passenger compartment fusebox and power feeds
from the ignition switch positions I (AUX) and II (IGN).
The lighting circuits are not protected by conventional fuses.

From the PDF version of the Workshop manual that you can find online. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #153805 27th Nov 2012 11:09am
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Its essentially behind where the bonnet pull handle is.

to get to it, follow the pull handle down to the tread plate on the sill and pull the tread plate up. Its just held in by strong clips. Once thats out, the cover over the pull handle can be pulled outwards from the bottom first. IIRC it just clips in as well and should slide out at the bottom first over the bonnet pull handle.

To get the LCM out, you then need to remove the screws holding the pull handle, which will then give you access to the LCM which is just held in by one bolt at the bottom. With the bolt out, it slides downwards a little from the bracket at the top. Its fairly obviously once you see it.

The LCM does not have traditional relays ... the power is controlled by power transistors which are soldered onto the board.

I had problems with my LCM just before selling the car. I opened it up and figured that the power transistors can be replaced without too much trouble. I was able to find the transistors for about £4 to £5 each online. V8 or else ...

Post #153819 27th Nov 2012 12:38pm
steptoe

England 

Thanks Fisha. Much appreciated.
Removed the LCM today and it's wet. Dried it off and the only problem now is the R/H side rear indicator doesn't flash when the lights are on.
Swopped rear light units with the L/H side and the same problem on the same side. Tried another earthing point for the unit but made no difference.

So looks like another LCM is needed.

Post #154125 28th Nov 2012 5:24pm
fisha

Are the other indicators working on the right side? If so, then I doubt ts the lcm as I think it's a single output from the unit to all the lights ( will need to check ) on each side.

Another thing I've noticed is that some parts are supplied with 12v all the time and to complete the circuit, they are grounded. ( as opposed to being grounded all the time then. Supplying 12v ) V8 or else ...

Post #155162 3rd Dec 2012 9:37pm
steptoe

England 

[]

All the other lights/indicators were working ok on the righthand side.
Bought a used LCM from a breakers and now all working ok.
Only problem now is the "spot" in the trip meter window showing something has been tampered with or changed.
Not sure if the LCM can be recoded as i think they are designed to only be coded once.

Post #155266 4th Dec 2012 12:41pm
ebajema

I am trying to find out if the LCM can be recoded as mine seems to have been changed at some point in time and is now showing a VIN mismatch. Will let you know when I find out. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #155268 4th Dec 2012 1:00pm
fisha

They can be re-coded I've read.

BUT

The LCM, engine ECU and instrument cluster ( and possibly others ) do a three-way check and balance of the mileage stored on the units and if they differ, then the dash will show the dot as you describe.

When re-coded ... all ecu's will update to whichever unit has the highest mileage recorded. It won't reduce a new part ( if its higher ) to the lower values of the originals . Its a means to prevent clocking.

That being said, there was a thread on here about mileages being clocked and cars put up for sale. Maybea chat with one of your local-but-buckshee diagnostic garages could see if thats a possibility. V8 or else ...

Post #155422 4th Dec 2012 9:39pm
steptoe

England 

fisha wrote:
They can be re-coded I've read.

BUT

The LCM, engine ECU and instrument cluster ( and possibly others ) do a three-way check and balance of the mileage stored on the units and if they differ, then the dash will show the dot as you describe.

When re-coded ... all ecu's will update to whichever unit has the highest mileage recorded. It won't reduce a new part ( if its higher ) to the lower values of the originals . Its a means to prevent clocking.

That being said, there was a thread on here about mileages being clocked and cars put up for sale. Maybea chat with one of your local-but-buckshee diagnostic garages could see if thats a possibility.

I can quite happily live with the "dot". I've kept the old LCM so it can be plugged back in and prove what's been changed if need be.
In the meantime i'm slowly testing the PCB and diodes to see if i can find the fault.

Post #155541 5th Dec 2012 12:06pm
ebajema

I am still chasing the re-coding, see if it can be done with the Faultmate. Maybe if you contact the IID boys if they have a method to do it with their tool. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #155543 5th Dec 2012 12:20pm
fisha

Had a look at the rave manual ... the circuit diagram shows that each corner and wing gets its own single supply from the LCM, so each circuit passes through its own transistor ( or part of a larger multi-circuit transistor )

The RAVE manual shows the pin number of each light ( can't remember the pin number ) However, I have opened up my old LCM and found it relatively easy to trace the circuit across the board from the pin connector to the transistor driving it. V8 or else ...

Post #155901 6th Dec 2012 11:35pm
daz62

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

In case it helps anyone,I had a problem with my lights, ongoing intermittently for over a year now, lights stuck on full beam, occasional loss of dash light, no indicators, then it would be fine for months.

Recently all dash lights off, no indicators, main beam and brake lights stuck on even when lights switched off.

Swapped LCM with a second hand unit, everything fine now. £22 well spent IMO. 03 4.4 V8 petrol / lpg. 1st of many hopefully. I love my Rangie

Post #571309 30th Oct 2020 10:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1